What's For Dinner #54 - The Leap Month Edition - February 2020

We only face this dilemma every 15 years or so. I passed my Mercedes roadster on to a delighted relative when it was a youthful 45.

3 Likes

OMG, tater tots and a spicy dipping sauce is a PERFECT bar app! :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

I made red lentil tacos in the IP. Quick, veg, and cheap. Cuke spears with Tajín on the side.

14 Likes

A quiet day spent sleeping in, reading, and movies.

Made a small roasted garlic meat loaf, roasted baby potatoes, and roasted Brussels sprouts with dried savory and ground sumac.

Wine.

Looking forward to sleeping in again tomorrow.

17 Likes

Sounds delicious😆

1 Like

We had another excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur. Details and pictures in the link below.

6 Likes

The children made dinner. We are trying this once a week. Linguine alfredo and roasted sprouts.

16 Likes

Chicken piccata tonight, with a ton of garlicky, buttery sauteed spinach, and fried taters. Piccata was made withe pounded thighs vs. breast because we prefer them.

Carnitas are simmering on the stove for tomorrow night…

18 Likes

Thank you and same to you.

1 Like

Inspired! Gorgeous plate. I have a crush on red lentils at the moment. Would you mind sharing the ingredients—spices mostly—that you put into the lentils to impart the right flavor profile for tacos?

Your creativity is giving me ideas. :grinning:

2 Likes

I prefer Pepcid AC

1 Like

Great idea…my own kids started with making breakfast for themselves in middle school and today they are real good cooks around the kitchen…

1 Like

I like it. Mine have been feeding themselves breakfast and making their own lunches since middle school. They don’t always make the same choices as me, and frequently grab what’s easy (leftovers, dry cereal), but they’d taking care of themselves…

3 Likes

Sure! Here ya go:

RED LENTIL TACOS IN THE INSTANT POT
1/2 large yellow onion, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 c split red lentils
2 1/4 c rich chicken stock or vegetable broth
1/2-3/4 c tomato puree
1 envelope reduced-salt taco seasoning
1 tsp New Mexico or other mild ground chili
Pepper to taste

On sautee mode cook the garlic, onion, and bay leaves til golden. Add the tomato puree and fry a few minutes more. Add in the red lentils and broth to deglaze, along with seasoning packet and ground chili/paprika. Put on the Instant Pot lid and seal and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes. Mine actually reached pressure but never started timing down, so after about 10 minutes cooking, I just turned it off and released pressure. Serve with the works.

6 Likes

@ChristinaM, thank you. I saw various recipes after you posted your red lentil tacos and figured you would have made a discerning choice.

Though I will probably attempt this on the stovetop, a recipe like this makes me see why Instant Pot has so many fans.

Buen provecho!

2 Likes

Was supposed to go out with a friend who’s here for the weekend staying with her parents.

But… her mom heard her mention my name and made biryani.

So, instead of us going out I went over. Made brownies for the grown-ups, and tried my hand at single cupcakes for the kids.

Also made buttercream for the first time, because I’ve watched these kids eat cupcakes before… the cake is mostly left on the plate while the frosting is licked off :joy:

If you’re counting, yes, that’s two batches of brownies in less than a day :smiley:

11 Likes

Yeah, the only real reason I did in the IP was to save splatters, and maybe develop the flavor in the sauce a little more than stovetop.

1 Like

Better would have been to make my own taco seasoning - paprika, garlic and onion powders, cumin, other ground toasted chilies. Sometimes expediency is all.

3 Likes

That IS pretty outstanding looking bread. Method? Yeast? Sourdough? 18 hr?

2 Likes

Delicious-looking treats!

1 Like