What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

Repurposed the fish from last night into fish cakes. Repurposed the salad dressing by adding blueberries and blending them in

13 Likes

Broccoli

“Mississippi roast” and its jus over new potatoes

12 Likes

09DEC407-E0AE-4614-AFE8-99FBE5E07FE8

4 Likes

My BF did a repeat of his recent chicken katsu with curry sauce tonight. In a “gotta use what you have” moment, he used chickpeas in the sauce (instead of carrots and/or potatoes-- we were out of both), and they ended up adding a lot to the dish by way of texture and mouth-feel. Delicious meal!

13 Likes

What is that dressing on the broccoli? Was it cold or hot?.

It was Momofuku ranch dressing, cold.

1 Like

Do you have a subscription? Recommend it?

This sounds fantastic. Recipe, please?

Yummmmmm thanks. Always looking for something new for broccoli!

Yes, my mom got it for me for Xmas. I like it and cooking my way through it. I find it a bit more accessible than Cooks which she has a subscription to and gives to me after reading :grin:

2 Likes

Mrs.P made her famous roasted quail breast salad with roasted delicata squash, roasted mini peppers, arugula, radishes, red and green grapes, sauteed red onions, and cherry tomatoes, among other ingredients, topped with a reduced balsamic syrup :yum: It went great with a Malbec.

14 Likes

Mom and dad hanging out with us for a few days. Made a decent meal of “broiled” (Epicurious recipe called for broiling but I went slow roast) salmon with scallions/sesame/ginger/garlic/Bragg’s liquid aminos subbing for soy sauce/lime juice marinade. Sides were NY takeout-style sesame peanut noodles with cukes and trumpet mushrooms sautéed in miso-butter. The meal felt suitably celebratory since we hadn’t yet celebrated the new year with them. Looking forward to traditional Korean mandoo duk guk (rice cake soup with dumplings) sometime this weekend - mom brought her supplies.

No photos tonight since everyone started chowing down immediately and my plate was not at all photogenic.

11 Likes

Slab O Meat for dinner. DW picked up a nice package of top Sirloin steaks “for two” at a local boutique grocer we’ve started to shop. We split the steak in in the foreground, so the second steak will be sandwiches tomorrow. I “dry brined” the steaks together with copious amounts of Kosher salt, black pepper and Trader Joe’s Umami seasoning as I learned to do reading HO. Go-with was second day Brussel Sprouts and not worthy of inclusion in a photo…

http://guastellosvillagemkt.com/

13 Likes

Perfect

1 Like

Feta can be made with Cow, Goat or Sheep raw milk or a combo. Depending where you are …

The typical exported Greek Feta, is made from cow cheese.

However, in the Aegean Islands and Crete, there are no cows, and this is sheep and goat turf … The islands are too dry and small to support cow herds or cattle.

Bulgarian Feta which I have had at the F.I.T.U.R. Travel & Tourism Trade Fair in Madrid Capital is absolutely extraordinary.

BULGARIAN260px-Kashkaval-Galichki-Republik_of_Macedonia bulgariaANCIENTmaking-yoghurt BULGARIACHEESEWETimagesA6YOVGM5 BULGARIAmoosemilkcamembert_elkhouse

Goat and sheep Feta are to die and go to heaven. The Bulgarian Moose Milk Camembert was stunning as well as the Bulgarian Yogurt from Goat milk and / or sheep milk. The Moose milk Camembert type cheese was quite Dynamic too …

10 Likes

Looks absolutely delicious

2 Likes

Stunning !!!

Have a lovely wkend.

1 Like

Thank you @Barca and @Scubadoo97! It was delicious.
Those different feta cheeses sound amazing. I had a French feta at a restaurant that was very good. It was very creamy and not as salty as the Greek feta.

Enjoy your weekend!

2 Likes

Same to you …

1 Like

I have been lurking on the WFD threads for quite some time. I have found them inspirational and have gotten many ideas on what to make for dinner. My New Year’s resolution was to cook more and occasionally post here. Of course the year is more than a week old and I have yet to post (or really cook for that matter). Hopefully this will be the start of regular, if not frequent, cooking and posting.

Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi are 2 of my favorite authors. As I wanted to incorporate more meatless meals into our rotation I decided to make the Mushroom Ragout with Poached Duck Eggs from the book Plenty (pg 50). Delicious. I did make two minor changes: 1) I used regular chicken eggs, and 2) I kept the vegetables used to make the mushroom broth. This would make a lovely sauce for pasta.

18 Likes