What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

After a weekend of 60-70 degree days today’s damp 45 seemed especially cold - the perfect day for soup - though to be honest I usually make a pot of soup every week.

Black Bean Soup, cooked in the Instant Pot with carrots, celery, garlic, sweet Marsala (was out of Sherry) and bay leaf. A quick zhuzh with the immersion blender gave it the perfect texture. Served with tostones thanks my daughter (known on HO as The Sprout), browned chorizo, lightly pickled onions and sour cream. Really hit the spot.

12 Likes

So we have The Sprout, spring onion, my own babe/kiddo, and @gracieggg’s – what’s your preferred moniker? Lots of kiddos. :grin:

Looks very nice, but seems a skimpy meal to me.

That’s my plate, I’m still having on off stomach problem since New Year, avoid overeating. Believe me, Mr n gets a second or third serving. Also, I skipped showing the repetitive salad or vegetables dishes.

3 Likes

On another website that shall remain nameless, I was Missybean and my daughter became The Sprout to make her less identifiable. That was more than 10 years ago - she’s 23 now.

4 Likes

:slight_smile: I’ll need to think! The next gen of HO!

2 Likes

Second try at chicken potstickers.

11 Likes

Looks good! How were they compared to the first batch?

Sprouts in mustard sauce

Chiles rellenos

14 Likes

Better seal and I cooked a mini chicken patty to adjust the flavor as I prep’d.

1 Like

@gracieggg
Soaking the Mushroom bag today. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Nice!! Can’t wait to see your after pic!

1 Like

LUNCH WEDNESDAY 15th January … A lovely simple Paella Marinero (Sailor´s Shellfish Rice).

11 Likes

Quite a showcase of exceptional dishes !!

Stunning. What a presentation. I have never attempted even a simple version of paella but I do enjoy it.

1 Like

Please tell more about the air fryer, which you’ve mentioned a few times. Is it a countertop gadget? How does “air frying” differ from roasting in the oven?

We’ve been snowed in and using up what’s in our (fortunately well stocked) fridge and freezer. But still, mostly brown food. Couple days ago, it was pork loin chops sauteed simply, paired with a chunky fennel, apple and onion sautee and some gnocchi boiled and fried up in a little butter. Yesterday, beef and mushroom stroganoff over egg noodles. Today, there will be green! Chicken broccoli stir fry alongside some vegetarian fried rice.

6 Likes

From what I understand, there’s no reason not to name it. It actually helps our SEO :rofl:

4 Likes

Oooh yum!

It’s a Chefman. Fits on the counter. Heats up to 400 degrees but somehow manages to achieve perfection when it comes to crisping frozen appetizers and even fresh vegetables such as potatoes or breaded asparagus.

I find that 20 minutes on 400 is better and more efficient than a half hour on 420 or 450. I’m not exactly sure how the magic happens-- maybe because it dehydrates as it cooks.