What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

For a short while, I was trying to decide between spring onion and cipollini (both cleverly suggested by fellow HOs) when referring to my kid. I went with spring onion. You can have cipollini if you want it. :wink:

I tried to adapt Alison Roman’s coconut chickpea stew to my new slow cooker, which I bought at a deep discount last month at our local soon-to-close Williams-Sonoma store. I wanted to do slow cooker since I usually cook my beans from dried. I soaked my chickpeas overnight, sauteed all the aromatics on the stove and then added everything to the cooker. It just didn’t taste right mid-way through the cooking process. So I added more coconut milk (I had only added 1/2 the prescribed amount) and then finally a can of Rotel fire-roasted tomatoes. Served over red rice/farro mix. I dunno, it just wasn’t the flavor bomb I was hoping for but I will try again because I know it’s a dish that B and I would really enjoy.

I also attempted homemade pita, a la Smitten Kitchen to accompany the stew. I started the dough the same morning (rather than going overnight) but I thought 6 hours in the fridge followed by 1 hour or so at room temp would suffice. I don’t know what went wrong, but they didn’t really puff up and they had the consistency of underdone pizza dough. Spring onion liked them, though, so I wasn’t unhappy. Coincidentally, a friend who is an accomplished home baker, attempted sourdough pita 2 nights ago and she reported to me that hers turned out remarkably like mine. Must be something in the Boston water.

6 Likes

@emglow101 Totally off-topic, but we are considering a trip to Lassen Volcanic Natl Park this year and I thought of you. We have friends near North San Juan. And I want to check out the pizza joint that you’ve mentioned here before.

I know exactly how you feel about that stew (and the bread “flop”). I made black dal again yesterday which is a whole story by itself. I made it maybe 2 months ago and couldn’t for the life of me find the recipe I used last time. It is like it was scrubbed from my browsing history somehow! GAH! I made one that sounded similar but it is missing something and I’m sad. I am trying to remind myself that this dal is better than no dal at all…

I have had so many bread failures, I can’t even count. Sourdough is my nemesis these days.

1 Like

I learned a trick from a friend - in order to get them to puff you need to bake them directly on a rack. A cookie sheet won’t do it, generally

3 Likes

Interesting I didn’t know that. I know there is some animosity between the two

Thanks for the tip. I used a very hot pizza stone and even spritzed with water as smitten kitchen suggests. I still have leftover dough which has been rising in the fridge so I’ll give it another try tonight. I’ll do it directly on the rack.

I love fly fishing Manzanita lake in lassen park . Definitely check out The Garden Tap in Mt Shasta for pizza . Opens again in the spring.

1 Like

You might also try baking on preheated cast iron or steel. Metal is a much better conductor of heat than stone and should give you the initial blast of heat that will quickly set the exterior and create steam to puff from within.

1 Like

Back to the Roots is running a 30% off sale now if anyone is interested in their kits.

1 Like

MLKWEEKEND is the code

1 Like

Yes - That’s the place! Thanks

I doctored the chickpea stew with fish sauce and harissa and it was better. And while I didn’t put the pita dough directly on the rack (the dough is too loosey-goosy for that) the pita was a bit better. Maybe due to longer rising, more liberal water spritzing while baking (but still not puffy).

Took a photo mid-meal.

10 Likes

Third day in the country. SNOWING! Comfort food.
Salad

Pork chop

16 Likes

Yum, pork chops! Do you make them boneless?

Ah - I think we used a small metal cooling rack on top of the oven racks. I can see how an oven rack might be too widely spaced.

1 Like

That looks super good. Nice and crispy. Potato hash?

Meera Sodha’s recipes are usually a big hit here - maybe hers would help? http://meerasodha.com/black-dal-makhani-in-the-observer/

1 Like

My kiddo was in pre-school today and for once, I didn’t have to work. So I did a bunch of grocery errands and made two meals for us and a third meal to take to two different friends who recently had babies. Plus a batch of lactation cookie dough. Unfortunately in my great haste to get everything done I neglected to take any photos. But I made:

-Ground beef, cabbage, and tomatillo stew (subbing noodles for rice and dialing back the chili to make it kid-friendlier). I subbed a good green salsa for the tomatillos.

-Eggplant parmesan and cheese-spinach ravioli bake, with extra ricotta-spinach mixture dolloped on. This will reappear as a dinner soon.

-2 chicken pot pies - I purchased the crusts and am awed I ever did the whole thing from scratch…what a lot of work! These will go to my friends.

Cookies will be baked up in the morning as well as fruit salad prepped for the new mamas.

11 Likes

Pizza night . Chopped country ham , clams , onion , pecorino and mozzarella. A little garlic and oregano. Cheers :wine_glass:

14 Likes

Always enjoy that wine glass cameo appearance😉.

4 Likes

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold