What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

And this would be my homemade pizza. Half cherry peppers, with onion and garlic throughout. We also heated up a mushroom flatbread from Aldi that we did not consume during NYE last night. Mine was better.

16 Likes

New years resolution : Buy pizza dough from the local bakery . Cut 20 mins off my cooking time . I’m at a snail’s pace .
Pizza dough I bought today. Let it rise hour and a half and shape.
Clam pizza . Clams from the shell , pecorino , mozzarella, garlic , and oo

Tomato and mozzarella. Topped with Agostino Recca anchovies after cooking. I enjoyed both . Couple of adjustments and good to go . Wine to drink .

18 Likes

First brunch of the decade was cheese on toast followed by a slice of pecan pie.
First dinner of the decade was my first pizza made from homemade dough, and black eyed peas, based on a recipe @Rooster posted on the black eyed pea thread, omitting the bacon/sausage/collards and adding bell pepper. https://www.africanbites.com/black-eyed-peas-recipe/

14 Likes

Today we had our traditional New Year’s Day tapas style dinner with the kids: edamame, crudités, cheese board, Brie tartlets with apricot jam, crab cakes, pigs in blankets, bacon wrapped dates, cheese crusted olives, roasted cauliflower and crunchy chickpeas, coconut shrimp. image

17 Likes

Looks beautiful and sounds wonderful. What a great tradition @MAH!

2 Likes

It was a dish that didn’t make it on the Christmas menu. A recipe by chef Shinichi Sato of restaurant Passage 53.

Actually it was quite delicious and simple: half of cauliflower thinly shaved with mandolin and marinated with hazelnut oil (originally asked for almond oil). The other half cooked in salted water and mixed with some milk to become purée. Squid cooked in a hot pan. Served. Couldn’t believe we each ate half a cauliflower!! Orange wine from Greece wasn’t bad at all.

16 Likes

Tried a beginner version for dinner…I used store bought a stack of Chinese dumpling rounds and made my first batch. I did not crimp to seal. I just sealed them closed and then steamed in bamboo box and pan fried. The filling was I a few raw chicken tenders in the fp along with scallion, garlic, ginger and toasted sesame oil and a touch of corn starch. Made a hoisin dip. Very simple but the chicken was tender and no bursts.

Light Green salad with lemon and hot green tea.

9 Likes

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

Wow, I want to eat in your family!

DH made seabass with lime, chilies, and fish sauce from Norman Musa’s “Amazing Malaysian.” He ended up hating the fish - too fishy - and having leftover adobo instead. I took one for the team - this would be great with cod or salmon. Sides were miso-butter corn and quinoa.

16 Likes

Plum and blue cheese

Shanghai noodles with pork

12 Likes

I love everything about this!

Gong Bao Ji Ding (Sichuan Kung Pao Chicken) Recipe J. KENJI LÓPEZ-ALT…but no peanuts.
Really noticing the buzzy feeling from the Sichuan peppercorns. I’ve been waiting to use them, and I may have added a bit much.

Husband says this does not pair well with our jug of “Arnold Palmer”.

17 Likes

It’s like my favorite song . I keep playing it over and over again. Cheers. :wine_glass:

16 Likes

Shrimp korma tonight with basmati rice. I marinated and then grilled them before adding to get as close to tandoori as I can.

There was also sangria. I had orange and apple slices soaking in rum, triple sec, and lemon gin since NYE. We forgot all about it!

21 Likes

Looks delicious!

1 Like

Caught an episode of Milk Street on PBS last weekend and they were making an Austrian beef stew. I jotted down the recipe so I could use the paprika my folks brought back from a trip last year. Tonight we had the stew with a few noodles, sour cream, and fresh dill. It was really rich and warming.

20 Likes

That’s looks delicious. Care to share the recipe?

It sure does

I found a link that looks accurate. I used about the same amounts of everything but beef - I think I had 3 lbs - still worked out fine.

https://rmeineke.github.io/recipes/main_r-z/rindsgulasch.pdf

4 Likes