What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Thanks @pilgrim and @thwysg ! I’m sorry to hear about your accident @thwysg and am glad you survived it. It’s funny how you take simple things for granted like getting in and out of a chair, until you get injured. This was my first dinner out since I had my operation. It was nice to finally get out of the house. I am slowly progressing and trying to ween myself off of the pain medication. I even walked a half hour on the treadmill at a very slow pace.

4 Likes

Was sick for past few weeks - am still having a bad cough.

First two weeks while I was in bed - all three meals were always porridge with either steamed vegetables or pan fried saba (it’s a lifesaver - cheap, easy and frozen).

Recent days were better and I did marketing and cooked.

More pics to come.

15 Likes

Giant Shimeji mushrooms that I found. They taste a little like oyster mushrooms. More crunch with oyster mushrooms than these.

Also made spam omelette - somehow the taste wasn’t quite the same with luncheon meat.

12 Likes

Also tried making red snapper rice, with soup and steamed vegetables. Portion was too much for two of us with a fillet. Half the fillet and 3/4 cups instead of 1 cup rice should just do the trick.

Sometimes simple clear soup with either pork belly slices or white fish slices with glass noodles is all we need.

13 Likes

Since the BF and I have no way to grill at home, today was a grilling day at my seester’s. I’d marinated a tri tip with a dry rub since Thursday evening, and I bought chicken thighs, rib eyes, and pork shoulder (country style ribs), and today gave each their own marinades. Left some of it all for my sister, and we’ll incorporate the rest into various meals - we just want that super smoky flavor. Ate a quarter of a rib eye at my sister’s for lunch so i was too full for more than a bite of my tri tip tonight (which i left rare as we’ll be reheating it at least one more time.)

managed to eat almost all my baked tater (with the PSTOB and Mexican crema). Farmers market maitakes and tetra shrooms were sauteed in butter and olive oil, with a smashed garlic clove, finished with a splish of heavy cream, chives, and a smattering of TJs crispy fried onions, which i just discovered and would eat like potato chips if left alone. TJs blue cheese dressing on some ice berg for some green.

but I still have the best part of the baked potato - the skin - to snack on, with a martini or two, later tonight. :smiley:

19 Likes

omygod, that all looks incredible!!

I fork my baked potatoes , rub butter on the skin and liberally salt before baking . The best part is the skin .

6 Likes

Whoa, you were sick and able to cook up a storm? Bravo! It’s like watching MasterChef Junior Australia (a food programme I watch sometimes in the gym)… 8 and 10 year-olds on this programme render me incompetent and that I should go sit in a corner.

4 Likes

Pomegranates are in season so I’m leaning on them to brighten our dark November days. Saturday night dinner of baked salmon in an improvised glaze of gochujang + pomegranate molasses + sesame oil + splash of rice wine vinegar to thin.

Baby kale with EVOO and garlic, with pomegranate for contrast and texture.

14 Likes

Hahaha… No storm in my house. You flatter me. :joy:

I usually cut up and prep the ingredients first - 1-2 days ahead. If you had noticed, many of the dishes are cooked in 15 min or less. But to cook at least 2-3 dishes each day, I always end up standing in the tiny kitchen with only one burner for at least two hours.

It’s only the preparation that would take up more time. Like the curry flavored ground pork and the ladyfingers (okra) ohitashi (in dashi stock) are dishes that could be kept in the fridge for 4-5 days, I just took them out to steam. Mixed rice dishes are easy too - the rice cooker does the work. Just that soaking of the Japanese rice grains takes 30-40 min, be it whether it’s for porridge or rice.

2 Likes

Just gorgeous!

1 Like

Did some cooking for the family and had enough left over to make us a mini shepards pie. Ground pork, turkey, onions, carrot, green beans, stock, and a bit of flour. Mashed potato topping had a bit of cheddar and horseradish. Butter lettuce and cucumber salad.

19 Likes

Oh my, that meal is luscious.

No pics, but last night it was a meatless eggplant pasta sauce with frozen heirloom tomatoes, cooked with aromatics. Served over :spaghetti: Sourdough garlic toast. H cooked, and it was delicious. I spent an exhausting few hours cleaning the garage.

9 Likes

Dinner was yummy. I made hummus earlier which was a delight but wanted to get it into a meal. Found this recipe below and followed most of it. Subbed that red cabbage slaw for brussel sprouts since that’s what I had. We really liked the quick red onion pickle. https://playswellwithbutter.com/2018/04/17/chicken-shawarma-hummus-bowls-recipe/

15 Likes

Were those fungus mushrooms or bean curd?

Enoki mushrooms, tofu and aburaage (deep fried beancurd puff).

4 Likes

Pan seared salmon with green beans in Thai red curry sauce. Super simple thanks to Maesri curry paste but very delicious.

12 Likes

Made some dandanmian using a recipe from Fuschia Dunlop’s The Food of Sichuan, which is a new edition of her book Land of Plenty.

18 Likes

How are they different?

1 Like