What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Lovely bread!

This weekend I made my first puff pastry - pâte feuilletée inversée. A failure, I used husband’s 00 Italian pizza flour, the butter I used wasn’t right too, not dry enough, I believe. I did a test batch, it tasted more like bread soaked with melted butter apart than something light and puffy. I still tried to understand what was wrong! Ugh! :smile:

3 Likes

Don’t give up @naf, it’s very gratifying when you nail it. A for effort, in any case.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement, I will try a more classic recipe first than the new hot chef’s funky recipe, which was my case. LOL

1 Like

You GO, gurl!

2 Likes

I haven’t post for a while, many dishes were repetitive and posted before and I guess I’m getting lazy too.

Lemon and rosemary chicken from BBC good food.

Celery, endive, garlicky and thyme mascarpone, green apple and sparkled with furikake (dried sardine, sesame and seaweed)

Chicken pho

Mussel pasta with some of the last tomatoes, they weren’t good to be consumed raw.

Pork ribs cooked with grainy mustard, beer and agave sirop, roasted Brussels sprouts and orzo with MIL’s delicious pesto.

Thai lemongrass spicy sausages and fried rice with straw mushrooms.

19 Likes

So… that’s your lazy? :relaxed:

5 Likes

Meals summing up November!

2 Likes

December already!! The link is here.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It was a joint lunch with my Mom … I will tell her tomorrow.

It was a truly lovely lunch.

3 Likes

i love every part of this! i want to make your stuffing for next year… deets, please, if it isn’t a family secret?

1 Like

I’ll get the recipe from him!

2 Likes

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Just a reminder that we’ve moved over to the December thread…

Thanks Linda, didn’t notice. Moved everything now.

2 Likes

potato pancakes
I am not a potato eater, just buy the Yukon gold potato when son is around for the occasional potato with Seared Duck Breast, then use the duck fat to finish cooking the potatoes. I have most of a whole lb 3 bag, and neighbor came and gave me her left over bag before she left for NC for thanksgiving. Should consider this if I have necessary ingredients I am not shopping nowadays for breakfast.
Recipe ? Thanks

Here are two potato pancake recipes that I saved because they looked interesting. However, I must admit that I haven’t tried either one.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-best-latke-recipe-ever-thank-you-julia-child_b_8713016

Molly Yeh’s ex-boyfriend latkes

ingredients
5 medium russet potatoes
1 medium yellow onion
salt + pepper to taste {i use about 5 large pinches of salt}
the juice of 1 lemon
6 egg whites
1 c all-purpose flour

oil, for frying

apple sauce + sour cream, for serving

directions

shred potatoes and onion using a food processor or mandoline. add salt and squeeze out as much moisture as you can by pouring them into a cheese cloth and squeezing over the sink. place in a large bowl, add pepper, lemon juice, egg whites, and flour. mix well.

heat about 1/4" oil in a large pan over medium high heat, and then scoop spoonfuls of mixture {i use an ice cream scoop} into the pan. flatten a bit with a spatula, and brown on both sides.

remove from the pan and pat off excess oil with paper towels. serve with apple sauce and sour cream.

3 Likes

Have to remember when I have 6 egg whites to try this. May be a while as I no longer make Leche Flan which gives me 10 egg white

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

So well said…

1 Like

We’re twins! :blush: