What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Meh, I was underwhelmed. And a small portion for $6.

Bummer. I haven’t bought it, and now maybe won’t. I usually do an Alton Brown version of gyro meat. You cook it in a bread loaf pan. Then slice and broil. It’s ok. Otoh, there is a Joan Nathan recipe for falafel that is way tasty.

1 Like

Inspired by @gracieggg, I followed the link to shawarma grilled chicken marinade and fixed that earlier to grill for dinner along with zucchini latke and a tossed salad of greens, pickled red onion, yellow apple, avocado and roasted butternut squash; poured Cranberry tonics and pulled together chocolate chia pudding for later. Movie in 30 mins.

Enjoy!
R

4 Likes

FWIW, I’ve always been underwhelmed by the pressed lamb meat for gyros, even in Greece. We season ground lamb, sometimes mixed with lean ground beef to cut the fattiness of the lamb, season and shape it into ovals and grill. Serve it with thick tortillas and homemade tstatziki, red onion, tomato and lettuce Really good.

6 Likes

:yum: great story!

Mrs. P made Asian inspired braised rabbit tostados with hoisin sauce and the PSTO ingredients :yum:

18 Likes

Was in Dulles Airport, so stopped by a new Bonchon Korean Restaurant. Had double fried Korean chicken wings that were spicy. (they are either not spicy or heat range from 1-5) My son had Fred chicken sandwich with side order of waffles. Our chicken were rated 3 heat . The chickens are organic and cage free. They were good. I thought we are very spicy eater but my god, I was sniffling and my sinus were

being cleared while eating!
Understand there are 300 restaurants worldwide. Should try it if there is one in your area .

11 Likes

Brined porkchop, smashed potato, bok choy, pan gravy

14 Likes

Gorgeous, but whenever I see a piled tostada (or other dish) I wonder the same thing - how does one eat it? Fork and knife, and then break off pieces of the base?

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering about that gyro meat package…

1 Like

I like the proportion of hot sauce here…

1 Like

Your tricks for not-hockey-pucks please?!

Haha. I added more to each bite.

1 Like

Another amazing picture perfect meal to add to you collection!

1 Like

Probably don’t overwork the batter, much like a biscuit. Just stir gently till combined. There are a couple things I’ve done before, but not routinely - add a smidge of baking powder, which isn’t listed in the on-can recipe, and use seltzer for the liquid.

1 Like

Thank you! Mrs. P heats up a soft tortilla until it is nice and crispy. We eat it by hand. The crispy tortilla is surprisingly sturdy. Plus we are home alone so it doesn’t matter if it gets messy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Wait…that’s a splurge? I don’t eat the biscuits, so…

Snacky dinner of toasts last night - spinach and crab.

Only moderately successful, needed tinkering to get the flavors right.

Used the rest of the crab to make faux “hand rolls” using seaweed snacks. That actually worked better.

Tonight was leftover chicken curry with simply sautéed cabbage. Parathas and rice.

I’m sad to report that those two little cakes are no more. Can’t decide whether I need to purge before thanksgiving or experiment some more. :thinking:

14 Likes

Awesome! Welcome. I’m in Aberdeen but we travel around for food. Check out reylas in Asbury Park when you get settled. Lots of awesome veg options.