What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Chicken Under a Brick in a Hurry

And pineapple with Chili pepper and salt.

17 Likes

Wowza. Great menu!

1 Like

We made grilled salmon, spinach sauteed with chili, garlic, golden raisins, pistachios, and orange vinegar, and leftover baked beans and couscous. Worked in a pinch.

11 Likes

Leek and mushroom (mistake and brown beech) saute. Last of the husband-away menu!

Like this but with cream.

7 Likes

Pasta with clam sauce and slow roasted garlic and cherry tomatoes with Tartine country loaf to sop up the sauce.

14 Likes

We had some excellent takeout from Don Pepe ii while I recover from my painful back surgery. Below is a link to the details and photos for anyone that might be interested.

7 Likes

Interesting that most of these things aren’t South Indian…

1 Like

Getting ready to make some Chicken Cacciatore with a side of roasted asparagus with pecorino. And lots of crusty bread.

And for the bread, homemade whipped garlic-parsley butter:

11 Likes

ooh interesting indeed! thanks for letting me know… maybe there are certain items on the menu that are South Indian and we just picked the non-South Indian things this time. The owner actually told me he was from southern India - but now I forget the name of the city!

hah - figured it out - maitake mushroom! looks great.

1 Like

Thank you! Damn you autocorrect.

2 Likes

Been craving a cheeseburger, so farmers’ mkt ground beef was turned into big fat patties. Roasted poblano pepper, sharp cheddar and all the fixings. BF got red onion on his. Medium-rare (more rare) for me, his was more medium.

i tried my hand at making the fries - BF usually does them, and he’s a pro at it. i soaked them in cold water, drained and dried them thoroughly, then blanched them in oil before frying again. Then i stuck them in a hot oven to wait until the burgers finished up and BAM. SOGGY! They were beautifully crispy for like 5 minutes! Pfffft. BF ate most of them, I ate most of the cabbage/celery/scallion slaw and garlicky broccoli rabe.

21 Likes

Good job!

Very gourmet! Great pics!

1 Like

Chicken cacciatore . White beans with tomato and shaved pecorino. Wine to drink. Cheers.

17 Likes

Penzey’s superb pumpkin pie with softly whipped cream for dessert

15 Likes

And here’s mine! With freshly grated parmesan, over rigatoni, with a side of pecorino roasted asparagus. Garlic butter and crusty Italian bread not pictured.

17 Likes

Seafood Chowder

Base of sautéed onions, celery, thyme, spicy shrimp head stock, corn stock, yukon gold potatoes, simmered then added salmon & john dory on top of the potatoes, added cream, simmered a bit more, sprinkled smoked salt, black pepper & topped w/a piece of seared john dory & crostini.

23 Likes

Beautiful color! Is that saffron? Tumeric?

2 Likes

The big chill is coming, and a big pot of beef stew is in order.

My mom’s recipe: (Which means I have been eating this for more than 6 decades!)
(6 servings)
2lbs of chuck cubed
one large onion diced
2 stalks of celery cut in small pieces
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
3 carrots cut into 3/4" bitesize pieces
1 parsnip cut into 3/4" bite size pieces
3 white potatoes cut into 1 1/2" pieces
2 tbls. tomato paste
14 ounce can of beef stock + I can of water
Kosher salt
Black pepper
1tbls. olive oil
Brown the meat in batches and remove from pot. Add onion, celery for 3 minutes, add garlic and return meat to pot. Add in stock, water tomato paste, s&p cover and let cook on a low flame just barely boiling for 1/2 hour. Add in carrots, parsnip and potatoes and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. If a thicker gravy is desired, thicken with two teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in a 1/4 cup of cold water as the stew boils (be sure to cook out the corn starch)

20 Likes