What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

A very basic meal that I never crave but have been wanting for a week… Dal Chawal ie lentils and rice.

Found the lentils I had pressure cooked before my weekend guest arrived. Cooked them (slow/fast ie in the PC) with basic aromatics while on a very painful call with amazon trying to find a gift they have messed up twice now, on track for 3.

Ate my first helping just to calm down :joy:. Might sauté some fish to go with for the second round.

Second helping with harissa-rubbed cod:

13 Likes

i’m baaaack… and only 2.2 lbs heavier despite 9 days of utter debauchery! We challenged ourselves to drink 30 bottles of wine and being overachievers, made it to 43 (there were between 5-8 of us at any one time, but usually 5.) Also, daily copas de vermut, cañas (small beers), and cocktails. As for food, we ate the whole city of Barcelona out, no need for anyone to go there, it’s empty now. :grinning: The most delicious tapas ever, at amazing prices. Had my fill of my favorite, pan con tomate, at almost every single tapas bar we went to, thankfully! Also amazing seafood, charcuteria, and paella. Haven’t yet written up a report on the trip for the Europe board, but I’ll get to it soon.

I got food poisoning while there, not sure from what - another in our group did as well but a harsher version - we shared all food, and the only thing that she and I had that others didn’t was fresh-squeezed oj. kinda doubt it was that. in any case, it only slowed us down temporarily - mine was over in less than 12 hours.

Came home late last night jet-lagged and with a mild cold, and tonight the BF greeted me with this. Gazpacho, Spanish chorizo, colines (basically little breadsticks) from my airplane snack, sauteed mushrooms with sherry, and olives. Wonderful! Happy to be back but sad it’s over. And we apparently just missed out on some separatist protests that shut down a ton of flights just after we left. My heart is in Barcelona, and someday, somehow, I really hope to reunite it with the rest of me, permanently.

23 Likes

Welcome home!

Very thoughtful of your BF to provide you a noteworthy meal.

4 Likes

gracias, and yes!

1 Like

Hah! The BF even got the picos for you.
Maybe I’ve gained a pound. Will find out when I get home (flying out tonight). Jamon (and Iberico pork) almost every day and it’s worth the few extra pounds! After all, I’ve come here just to eat it.

3 Likes

And that Erlenmeyer flask used for decanting it made me laugh out loud! Brilliant!

2 Likes

The picos came from my airplane snack! I don’t know where we’d get them here.

Enjoy! Eat everything!

1 Like

Love Musar. Iirc there was a change at some point when they expanded, but I forget what year.

1 Like

those golden locks! :heart_eyes:

I’m holding onto the last bits of summer with these final tomatoes from my mom! Sides of broccoli (also from her garden), brown rice and grilled pork loin. Simple but satisfying.

15 Likes

Welcome home. I loved Barcelona but actually found our best meals on Majorca! Hope you return soon!!!

1 Like

Tomato soup. Shrimp and avocado crostini with Bacon.

7 Likes

We went apple picking over the weekend so we’re swimming in apples at the moment. Therefore, dinner was pork tenderloin in sage cream sauce with sauteed apples and onions, plus a side of blistered green beans in brown butter and lemon with toasted almonds. The apple I used was a Karmijn de Sonneville, a tart variety which is apparently recommended mostly for fresh eating and juice. It was a decent choice for this dish as the pieces stayed fairly firm, but I’m not sure how it would work in a pie. They are wonderful fresh, though, if you like a tart, crisp apple.

8 Likes

I have never made a pie . My yard is swimming in apples . The deer love them

2 Likes

thank you - me too! I lived there in the late 70s, went back 5 years ago, and now am dying to return. i adore the food. maybe someday I’ll make it to Mallorca too!

1 Like

Taco Tuesday! I’d bought the BF a NY steak to eat while I was gone (not a favorite cut of mine) but he saved it and made tacos out of half of it tonight, with a chipotle powder rub, and guac, hot sauce and crema. Also, a corn salad, and yuca fries! he’s totally mastered these, they’re so good and crunchy but pillowy inside.

17 Likes

What’s his secret? I love yuca fries!

2 Likes

Made butter chicken tonight.

Started with ghee, whole spices (cinnamon, clove, green cardamom, black cardamom), then onions, then ginger-garlic paste, then tomato paste, then ground spices and homemade cashew paste (“nut cream”). Added water and simmered a bit more, then finished with cream, garam masala and crushed fenugreek leaves.

19 Likes

Looks tasty! Did you grill the chicken?

I didn’t grill it (just did it on the pan), but I did marinate it in yogurt, garam masala, kashimiri chili powder, salt and garlic-ginger paste.

1 Like