What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Last hurrah of the local vegetables continues here. Planks of eggplant roasted then topped with Greek sheep’s and goat’s milk yogurt (Sophia’s for those in the Boston area), a dollop of the Nigel Slater tomatoes, chopped Marcona almonds, fresh parsley, and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses. This eggplant prep turned out to be much more than the sum of its parts. Will repeat.

Sophia’s grape leaves and steamed corn with olive oil as sides.

16 Likes

Geez - Isn’t it enough that you guys keep ordering the stuffed lobster and same seafood stuffing avocados. Now it’s those gorgeous looking little baby wontons in chili oil. Thanks a lot :slightly_smiling_face:. And happy belated birthday to Mrs. P from me as well.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks @Miss_belle! We keep ordering the same delicious things because we figure if it ain’t broke don’t fix it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks. Sometimes I enjoy the process given the time and boredom :wink:

3 Likes

Got home too late for my planned dinner. Also starving.

Started with some toast and duck rillettes (freezer, brought back from a recent trip).

While the bread was toasting I put together quick (crustless) quiche loaded with spinach and broccoli (might be more of a kuku than a quiche given veg and egg proportion). Muffin cups for faster cooking.

19 Likes

Looks excellent. I would buy a duck just to make rillettes

2 Likes

Not technically dinner, but I’m still adjusting to multiple time zone changes, and getting up in the middle of the night with cravings.

Shakshuka!

Shakshuka: A Template for Breakfast, Dinner, and Every Meal in Between from Serious Eats. BTW, I didn’t really use a recipe.

16 Likes

Exquisite looking crab …

Belated birthday wishes.

1 Like

Started to clean up the fridge as we will have a short trip the day after tomorrow, baby nephew’s baptism!

Don’t know what exactly I was doing, proabably a cross between a French beef bourguignon and the Irish beer pie but with a French smoky ale, no Guinness at home!

Chunk steak was browned in a big cast iron pot with olive oil and butter, carrot, onion were added and stirred briefly and finally poured a big glass of beer, bay leaves and fresh thyme. Covered and cooked for, maybe 2 hours. A bell pepper was added (and it wasn’t intended) since it would too ripe to wait for another week after our return. Grabbed a frying pan, heated it with bacon, chopped in some leeks and garlic and finally some mushrooms. Added everything in the beef stew, covered with a puff pastry and into the oven for 30 minutes.

Actually, it was very good. More beer to finish the meal and leftover for tomorrow! Cheers!

22 Likes

Looks amazing, yum. I never do this with puff pastry and now I want to. Thank you for the inspiration.

4 Likes

That Sophia’s yogurt is incredible, and your use of it even more so! While I don’t like how long it takes to get local “summer” vegetables here in Boston given our climate, I do love how they keep coming even in October.

2 Likes

I like the butter puffy pastry better.

Actually, I was worried that the dish was too bitter, as it tasted strong in the beginning, the long cooking mellowed out and the flavours was in equilibrium even without adding beef broth.

3 Likes

Fuyu

Pork meatballs marsala

12 Likes

Ooooh - they haven’t made an appearance near me yet… jealous!

Vietnamese caramel salmon, spicy steamed broccoli, and coconut rice.

I forgot how intense the caramel sauce is!

16 Likes

Salted asparagus wrapped with pork belly; and
Spanish mackerel and green peas with butter lemon - managed to find Meyer Lemons, the mister doesn’t like anything too sour. Not even tomatoes. :joy:

18 Likes

Oh, man, this is speaking to me. Must copy.

1 Like

I made Kenji’s pho ga in the IP. Tasty - a bit much prep for a week night with a toddler though. He helped cook and dug in.

23 Likes

Long day.
Mom doctor appt. in the a.m.
(She’s doing as best as can be expected for 89 years old.)
Then a long drive back to work through lots of rain on the South Shore.
Fun. (Not.)
Powered through 4 hours of lots of work.
Home.

Oh looky!
It’s Wednesday.
Hump Day.
Prince Spaghetti Day.
Dinner solved.
Crusty buttered roll alongside with a glass of wine.

Tomorrow night will probably be a bowl of cereal, as I have a wake to go to in the evening.

17 Likes

Bowl to the face is the money shot :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes