What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Republique is one of my favorite restaurants! We had a great meal there a few weeks back before a concert. Amuse was a corn soup with cilantro oil. First dish was a potato leek croquet with horseradish sauce.

10 Likes

Gnudi look perfect :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Same issue with my mister. It’s always cream based dishes, pastas or white stews, he would try to avoid anything with tomatoes. No olives too. :weary:

So whenever I made anything with these two (I do include black olives in some soups and rice dishes), he would leave everything either in his plate, pot or into the bin. Hard to finish the portion of olives bought on my own. Can’t split them to my family - they too are no fans.

Oh sweet. Don’t you love that little amuse of creamy soup? My friend had creamy leek this week. Oh and those savory beignets! They have a couple of new seasonal items on the menu I might pop by and eat at the bar tomorrow… I’ll keep you posted. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve made homemade mole once. It was good but the prepared ones are also good and a heck of a lot easier. Chicken mole on a Tuesday night whim sounds good to me.

2 Likes

if anyone cares to read me blathering on and on and on, Barcelona food report is up.

8 Likes

Two favorites, one very traditional and eaten on specific (religious) fast days (made out of turn by my request), the other is classic street food that I’m not “allowed” to eat on the street (because: water), so it’s made at home.

Millet porridge cooked with whole spices, ginger, and green chilli. Topped with crushed, roasted peanuts for texture. Served with potatoes (these are the wrong ones - the correct ones are made with red chilli and no turmeric, but I like this preparation better so I asked for it, even though everyone else glared at me because it threw off the balance :joy:). Also usually served with kadhi (a yogurt gravy, which plays the same role on the plate as dal) - or yogurt for the same tang. I was very happy with this meal, I eat it only every few years because I forget to “special request” it :rofl:

And… pani puri - literally translated as “water puri(puffs)” - and why I’m not allowed to eat it on the street, even at places that claim to use bottled water (delicate tummy, enough other delicious things competing to throw it off :joy:). Various things - sprouted moong beans, boiled potato, red chickpeas, boondi (fried chickpea balls), ragda (stewed white peas), and some more I’m forgetting - are stuffed into a crisp, round puri, then you pour spiced water in and try to get it in your mouth (a) without bursting the puri (b) not spilling or squirting the water everywhere on its way from the plate to your mouth (c ) whole - the puris vary in size, and so does mouth size, so it’s not always a perfect fit, and there are entertaining gymnastics of tilting the head while trying to crush the puri inside the mouth and prevent things from escaping while you stuff the outer portion in :sob:. Simple fillings at home today - moong and potato - again with a view to preserving my tummy health as we are headlong into Diwali (day 1&2 of 5/6) and all food - breakfast, elevenses, lunch, snacks, dinner, dessert - gets richer and heavier (and tastier).

We loaded up on some Diwali snacks we decided not to make at home, and I have to get my act together to make a couple of things I insisted on making at home.

The title of this digestive mixture at the snack store made me crack up (the guys at the counter were too busy serving the Diwali crowds to wonder at my reaction):

17 Likes

in keeping with my theme, went back to Barcelona last night for dinner. Tried a dish i had a few times there - huevos quebrados (broken eggs) - although I didn’t actually break my eggs. And padron peppers. Despite what it looks like in the pan, nothing was burnt. In Barcelona, they would break the eggs in front of you and mix them up into the plate. Sometimes they came with a spicy sauce, so i finally made my own salsa Brava, with not the right peppers but it turned out great anyway. HOWEVER, I used a caramelizing cream method (read about it here: https://food52.com/blog/24627-why-ideas-in-food-eggs-are-genius) not only on the eggs but the taters too. Incredibly delicious, incredibly buttery. I cannot, however, believe that you don’t ingest more fatty goodness with this method than other methods of frying, because the eggs and potatoes were so suffused with the buttery flavor! So, maybe not an everyday method, but it’s definitely in the rotation now. Want to try it with carrots.

I overcooked the eggs but no matter. And my non-stick pans were a bit tough to clean, but after a soak they were fine. and the potatoes could have been crispier - need to work on this. I was maybe too aggressive with the heat. You’re supposed to boil and then smash the potatoes before they go into the cream, and mine kind of fell apart. But overall, absolutely delish.

19 Likes

Looks good to me. Potatoes and cream are a match made in heaven!

2 Likes

Quick dinner last night of pulled pork (freezer pull), topped with a quick slaw of cabbage and carrots and sauteed broccoli. I would have been more satisfying if I ate it warm, but whatever.

Tonight, I’m making that sausage and grape roasted concoction that I swear someone on here has raved about. The New York Times had an article about that this week and it got me thinking. We had several unpleasant dinners out lately so giving a hiatus to our usual schedule of exclusive eating out on the weekends. I’m thinking something more time/work intensive tomorrow. Maybe home made pasta??

13 Likes

Didn’t expect to be home tonight so we are having coconut rice with skewers of chicken curried and tossed greens. Maybe some local naan and samosa if I hit the nearby place in time. Mango lassi and besan ladoo later.

Enjoy the weekend!
R

5 Likes

I feel like I failed to ask the right questions when I got married! Husband is a no go on most cream sauces and a lot of cheeses. But the kids, they just come out and then tell you how they’re picky…

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Would you have traded in the husband if you knew he was picky? But yeah - can’t put the kids back on the shelf, so to speak. Ya gets what ya gets.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t. He’s a good egg.

2 Likes

I’ll be curious to know how the sausage and roasted grape dish turns out. I read about in the NY Times this week, but haven’t gotten around to making it.

Wow - I just read the comments in the Times. I had no idea there are so many sausage haters out there! Oh well, more for the rest of us, I guess…

1 Like

This is fascinating - I will have to give it a try soon!

3 Likes

God, that all really speaks to me

1 Like

Thank you so much! They were a bitch to make.

So, I’m curious, are there backstories for all this tomato hatred? A few too many spaghetti nights as a kid?

Weren’t those comments intense?!? I had no idea that sausages are so polarizing! I’ll post about the results. These sheet pan dinners always sound good in theory…

1 Like