What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

I hear that. Next time I might reduce the time it sits at pressure before instant release by a minute or two. We like our salmon about medium/medium well. I dishwash the gasket every time, but this is the first time I’ve used it with fish. Since it’s silicone, I wouldn’t think it would be too bad. Some people buy an extra for pungent foods, though. In addition to containing the smell, I like how it keeps the splatters inside the pot.

My mum does these exact same cuts every time she does a stir-fry of vegetables with squid and prawns. :grin:

The mister is late at work so it’s just my dinner.

Carbonara - The egg mixture was a little too wet for my pasta. I think I should just stick to long pasta next time instead of short ones. Still tasted good. Quick recipe but messy with all that grated parmesan “flying” everywhere.

And some butter asparagus cooked with leftover bacon fat as well!

10 Likes

Asian way! It is not only beautiful. but it creates more surface, more nooks and crannies for spices and sauce to adhere to.

1 Like

my mom does almost the same with her cucumber salad. Soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic, crushed red pepper ( chili crisp was not available during her time), freshly ground pepper, shiaoxing wine and mirin for slight touch of sweetness. It is always a hit here in my home.

3 Likes

ITALIAN is our winner for Cuisine of the Quarter. ITALIAN - Fall 2019 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter Tutti a tavola a mangiare!

1 Like

Thanks @ccj - very cool. I’ve seen the criss-cross squid at the store, just had no idea it was done like this.

As I was thinking about this, it struck me that I can always remove the gasket - fish doesn’t really need pressure, and it would still be contained.

Mrs. P took a break from making cauliflower steaks during the week (which is why I haven’t been posting in the WFD thread during the week for the last few weeks) :blush: She is trying to lose weight before her upcoming birthday this weekend. She made pan seared quail breast salad with various fruits and other ingredients. The pictures were taken before reduced balsamic syrup was drizzled on, and fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese was applied. Back to cauliflower steak tomorrow and probably next week :frowning_face:

15 Likes

She creates the most beautiful salads! I hope she enjoys every aspect of her birthday regardless of what the scale and waistband says. I’m sure you are planning something special.:fireworks:

4 Likes

Semi-shitshow of a day required comfort food.

Oh look! It’s Wednesday! Perfect. Annnnntneeey!

Sketti, meat sauce, the PSTOP-R, and a crusty buttered roll. Oh, there WAS a glass of wine!

16 Likes

I made BLTs on homemade country white with homegrown tomatoes, pepper strips, spicy sweet potato fries, and fresh pineapple.

18 Likes

Thank you @meatn3! She is really not over weight. I think she is beautiful just the way she is :blush:

8 Likes

ditto

1 Like

Son told me last night his accountant friend is coming today with friends ,lunch at Lighthouse Inn at Solomon’s Island, , cruise the bay, return tonight for dinner , that I did not have to cook as his friend who used to manage 3-4 restaurants in VA and DC)will do the cooking and bring all the ingredients for a shrimp taco dinner. I guess there were 6 other guests invited.

I decided to drive to Italian Deli, bought a lb of Maryland lump crab meat to make crab imperial as my contribution, Prepare some castelvetrano olives, assortment of cheese as appetizer . I also saw bought a small wild blueberry pie while I was at the Italian Deli,

The crab imperial was a hit esp with one of the guest who owns a Mexican restaurant. My son would not touch it bec I added 1/4 cup of mayo to it. There was 2 tbsp of grain mustard, lemon juice , and I used at least a cup of parmesan cheese to bind the crab mean topped with 25%parmesan cheese and panko mixed with 2tbsp of butter. 25 minutes in 375 oven.

The accountant friend brought 2.5 lbs of shrimp and asked my son to help him prepare the shrimp So, my son added beer, some chipotle adobo sauce and some spice ( I do not know what ) and steamed them in the cataplana for 8 minutes or so . So, accountant

brought all the ingredients, tomatoes, chopped onions, guacamole, different kinds of cheeses and asked me to roast 2 trays of asparagus which I did for 10 min the oven with garlic, S/P and then lots of reggiano on top. He cooked the taco shells, portobello mushroom on the plancha . The guests made their tacos and went out to eat outdoor as usual.

Only two of the guests had the blueberry pie. I was not impressed. I prefer it to be not too mushy, have more whole blueberries similar to my blueberry and other fruit crisp.

15 Likes

Leftover biryani (topped up with fresh biryani rice) for dinner.

Cooking tonight was to take to a friend’s tomorrow to kick off a mini girls’ weekend with a third friend who’s coming into town. I volunteered to make the first dinner - ginger and lemongrass brined grilled (baked) chicken with cauliflower gratin (aka my mom’s cauliflower cheese).

I’ll finish the cauliflower in the oven tomorrow while the chicken cooks. Possibly a bread salad to soak up the chicken drippings.

(Baby cauliflower dish leftover for me for another night.)

Oh yeah, chef’s bonus of chicken skin “chips (with faux ranch).

14 Likes

We’d love to see the cauliflower steak meals too!

Happy happy to Mrs. P!

1 Like

Thank you @Saregama! I will convey the message to her.
I might have posted a picture of one of her roasted cauliflower steak dinners a few weeks ago.

12 Likes

Chicken and asparagus stir-fry with cauliflower fried rice.

My bf made the most amazing flan. Added some almond extract and it was the best I’ve ever had.

19 Likes

Love flan - looks delicious as does your healthy meal!

2 Likes