What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Chicken pelmeni with sour cream.

24 Likes

Yum! Do you have a recipe you could share?

I have one of these molds, but have never used it for pelmeni :joy: (Long story short… bought it for mom as a hack for something, she rejected it, so now it’s mine :grimacing:)

1 Like

Grilled brined halibut. Something husband and I could agree on!

16 Likes

Grilled maple-chipotle pork chops, our hand-picked apples from Battleview Orchards in Freehold, NJ with bourbon and brown sugar, and garlic-horseradish mashed potatoes. A lot of flavor here!

16 Likes

I went off this recipe which is adapted from Kachka: A Return to Russian Cooking. Kachka in Portland is my favorite Russian restaurant (I haven’t been to many Russian restaurants).

Made a few changes. Ground chicken thigh instead of the other meats, and instead of grating the onion I pulverized it in a food processor since the grating disk didn’t seem to make it fine enough. Next time I will only use a pound of meat rather than a pound and a half. I ran out of dough and had to make another batch to use up the filling, of which I used 3/4 of.

The pelmeni maker worked quite well, the hard part was rolling out the dough thin enough which was a bit of a workout. I used a Ziploc freezer bag with a hole cut in the corner to pipe in the filling. A bit time consuming but now I have like 200+ of these little pelmeni in the freezer.

11 Likes

Our friend in Staten Island invited us over for an awesome belated birthday dinner for Mrs. P and another friend. Among the outstanding dishes he made were boneless short ribs with baked tomato cobbler, and a tomatillo, scallion, and parsley salsa; grilled quail with seared foie gras and grilled fresh dates; cream of cauliflower soup with sweated leeks, and a seared scallop topped with trout roe; butternut squash ravioli with mussels and dried bread crumbs; Swiss rosti with pastrami smoked salmon and a 90 minute egg; Since Mrs. P doesn’t like salmon he kindly made one with smoked shrimp for her. lentils fra diavolo; baked cinnamon apple with avocado sorbet; various cheeses including rogue river blue cheese, gouda with lavender, and brie with truffle, along with various toppings including candied smoked bacon, honeycomb, red pepper jelly, honey roasted nuts, and fresh strawberry. We also had some awesome wines including a 1998 Jordan cabernet and a 2001 Chateau Musar.

20 Likes

Thanks for the recipe and explanation, fabulous!

1 Like

What. A. Feast!

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, I need one of those molds!

2 Likes

I use that for the sangria I make (recommended by the late owner at Dali Restaurant).

1 Like

Jordan wines are good to begin with - I hope the 1998 cab was stellar (as I suspect it was)! An amazing birthday dinner - is your friend a chef?

1 Like

Wow! There are no words to describe that spread!

2 Likes

Here’s to your “Marital Bliss”… Thanking Halibut! (LOL)

6 Likes

Yes, the 1998 Jordan was stellar and still going strong after 21 years.
Our friend is not a Chef. He is an excellent cook who likes to entertain. We are very fortunate to be the recipients of his excellent cooking.

1 Like

EP…don’t give out his address…there might be people going through his rubbish for leftovers!!!
What a meal!!! (My birthday is soon…get the picture?)

4 Likes

could never get good picture of halibut as I wrap them in parchment paper and. then 2 layer of foil after smearing them with pesto and grilling them until the foil is black. They come out excellent but picture does not look good. It is one of our favorites

1 Like

A very basic meal that I never crave but have been wanting for a week… Dal Chawal ie lentils and rice.

Found the lentils I had pressure cooked before my weekend guest arrived. Cooked them (slow/fast ie in the PC) with basic aromatics while on a very painful call with amazon trying to find a gift they have messed up twice now, on track for 3.

Ate my first helping just to calm down :joy:. Might sauté some fish to go with for the second round.

Second helping with harissa-rubbed cod:

13 Likes

i’m baaaack… and only 2.2 lbs heavier despite 9 days of utter debauchery! We challenged ourselves to drink 30 bottles of wine and being overachievers, made it to 43 (there were between 5-8 of us at any one time, but usually 5.) Also, daily copas de vermut, cañas (small beers), and cocktails. As for food, we ate the whole city of Barcelona out, no need for anyone to go there, it’s empty now. :grinning: The most delicious tapas ever, at amazing prices. Had my fill of my favorite, pan con tomate, at almost every single tapas bar we went to, thankfully! Also amazing seafood, charcuteria, and paella. Haven’t yet written up a report on the trip for the Europe board, but I’ll get to it soon.

I got food poisoning while there, not sure from what - another in our group did as well but a harsher version - we shared all food, and the only thing that she and I had that others didn’t was fresh-squeezed oj. kinda doubt it was that. in any case, it only slowed us down temporarily - mine was over in less than 12 hours.

Came home late last night jet-lagged and with a mild cold, and tonight the BF greeted me with this. Gazpacho, Spanish chorizo, colines (basically little breadsticks) from my airplane snack, sauteed mushrooms with sherry, and olives. Wonderful! Happy to be back but sad it’s over. And we apparently just missed out on some separatist protests that shut down a ton of flights just after we left. My heart is in Barcelona, and someday, somehow, I really hope to reunite it with the rest of me, permanently.

23 Likes

Welcome home!

Very thoughtful of your BF to provide you a noteworthy meal.

4 Likes

gracias, and yes!

1 Like