What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

In celebration of Ripe Avocado Day I decided to make this avocado sauce i love that is just blitzed together quickly in a blender
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/

I used the sauce on some not exciting roasted veggies and baked tofu, topped the bowlful with some chopped cashews for crunch. Extra sauce will be for dipping raw veggies tomorrow lunch.

2 Likes

This “Mississippi Roast.”

With egg noodles and arugula salad.

5 Likes

Did you use the packaged dressing & packaged gravy from the original recipe? I know they said it was delicious even though the ingredient list contained those unappealing items. I can’t say I’m convinced.

Not much cooking being done this week. I picked up Chinese food from a new incarnation of my old favorite. Ordered the dishes I had missed most during their 3 year closure - beef chow fun, hot and sour soup and a vegetable assortment. Didn’t live up to the memory. I’ll give them another try before I write them off. Ate that for two nights.

Last night I was back at my work home so tried a bbq place in a neighboring small town which has had recent discussion on Chowhound. It’s unusual for this area since it is open on Sundays and has ribs and brisket in addition to the standard chopped pork. They were out of ribs. The brisket was decent but not worth going out of your way for. Slaw was quite good though. Sigh…good bbq brisket is hard to find in these parts.

Tonight will be a chicken Marsala riff. Changing it up a little to try to duplicate a sauce we had with a mushroom appetizer last month which had capers. Pretty sure they used a veal demi glace which I don’t have so will sub beef btb.

The boss heads to Tucson for the gem show next week so the kitties and I will move in for the week. Hope the weather is warmer than our last stay so they can enjoy the screened porch. Introducing her dog into the equation - should be an interesting week. The dog will be at doggie day care when I’m at work so the cats will have some alone time.

2 Likes

The NYT recipe that catholiver linked is one that substitutes real ingredients for the two packaged ingredients. I’d be much more inclined to make it the NYT way vs. the original way with the packets of dry ranch dressing and gray mix.

I celebrated ripe avocado days lately by spreading some on my English Muffin and I am a believer in avocado toasts!

1 Like

Nope. I used the NYT’s version with mayo, apple cider vinegar etc.

So what are your thoughts? Did you make it as written? I was eyeing that recipe and searching for others to compare, but disappointed to see all the dry packaged mixes in most of the other recipes.

WFD: Zuppa. A big bowl of soup.
EVOO; diced carrot/celery/onion; minced garlic; diced jalapeño; chopped fresh tomatoes; black-eyed peas; diced potatoes; chicken broth; a small handful of shredded cabbage/chopped broccoli/diced jicama; pinch o’salt & pepper; chopped cilantro; ground cumin; lime juice. Sour cream, and chopped cilantro garnish.

This ought to be enough for dinner tonight. A respite in the week before the week-end planning. I was going to start by rendering pancetta and adding a handful of corn kernels, but we really don’t need those. Not planning on any bread or crackers either.
This will be quanto basta.

5 Likes

Beautiful indeed, you can consider trying to sell this image to stock photo company!

Got the crud. 'tis the season, after all. Trying to keep it mellow by bombarding myself with zicam, emergen-C, etc. etc., as I have a show Tuesday and need to be in good shape.

Last night’s cauli soup was a-ok, but I wasn’t very hungry & too lazy and tired to put that big-ass salad together after all. We’ll have it tonight along with the Peruvian chicken that’s been marinating since the lunch hour thx to my awesome man.

Can’t wait for 10 PM…

@bear Nice meal, I like especially your plate, beautiful!

Another quickie tonight, I have this Vietnamese paté lying in my fridge for a while, luckily it is still good for consumption. Stir-fried rice with the meat, mushroom, red onion, egg, ginger and cilantro. I have no more wok anymore since we have gone induction. Instead, I use my paella plate to do it. Good result and happy with the meal for a fridge emptying operation.

1 Like

Some fish sauce and chillies would be nice, too.

The meaty bits appear to be this: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortadelle_vietnamienne. I like it with rind bits.

I forgot to mention, I did add some fish sauce when stirring the rice. For chillies, I have the green ones very spicy. Not in the mood for ultra spice tonight, I just added a bit of the green Jalapeño tabasco.

It’s exactly that “mortadelle” we ate tonight! I like a lot the Vietnamese fermented or cure pork too - Nem Chua.

i’ve been doing a lot of doubling and tripling dinners to have a stash of them in the freezer for breakfasts and lunches (and easy dinners, of course.) Tonight is Bora Bora Fireballs but since I don’t eat pork I use ground turkey, add fat to the mix (coconut oil,) and up the spices.

As I wrote above, I used the NYT version. I think it’s terrific and will make it again.

Just an fyi. There are many induction capable woks out now. Here’s just one: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/hammered-14-inch-wok/

Thanks for the comment about the plate, naf. I just realized that it has a significant chip and I chose the same plate for both meals! I definitely don’t have an eye for detail as a photographer, but I guess the pictures get the point across.

A few years ago, we ditched the matching dishes and started collecting locally-made pottery for our plates, bowls and mugs. It’s loads of fun, we get to support local potters, and when we travel we can bring home something made by an artisan in that area. Also, if something breaks, we don’t have to be tied to replacing it since everything is one-of-a-kind.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s helpful, and glad to know you stuck to the original NYT recipe and loved it.

Let me clarify. I didn’t use the original recipe; I used the changed NYT one.