What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

Live crabs in the bathtub, prelude to the great crab feast, summer 2015.

7 Likes

[quote=“rmis32, post:461, topic:2945, full:true”]
Live crabs in the bathtub, prelude to the great crab feast, summer 2015.
[/quote] That’s a whole lot of crabs!

1 Like

The main event

7 Likes

Back in the day 2#'ers were standard.

1 Like

That’s him. Not been able to turn it into a job yet

Best of luck to him - at 23 I would say he has plenty of chances ahead of him.

2 Likes

The mung bean and carrot salad was as good as we remembered. That caraway seed and feta combination just works so well. For anyone who does make this (from Plenty More) I recommend doing a double batch if it’s the main event of dinner, the stated recipe only amounts to enough to make a hearty meal for one person.

We’re being a tad cheesy tonight and hitting the local roller skating rink’s Friday night disco at the four year old’s request. Think coloured disco lights, 90’s music, a DJ who dreams of being discovered and making it to radio and the ‘cool’ kids skating backwards - all mixed with the smell of a thousand different sweaty feet gracing the for hire skates. If we don’t end up in an accident and emergency ward afterward there’s leftover salad for dinner. I also whipped up a spicy sauce yesterday for Korean cold spicy noodles - bibim-naengmyeon. The weather here has been so muggy that all we’re feeling like is cold food.

6 Likes

Old Bay and newspaper doubles as a tablecloth! Yup! That’s the way it’s done :smiley:

2 Likes

WFD: 1. Green Split Pea Soup : bacon fat; onions; celery; carrots; parsnip, sherry; turkey stock; turmeric; split peas; smoked thick cut bacon. I’ll soak the peas for a few hours then proceed with the soup, simply to reduce cooking time.

Spinach Salad with croutons.

Not very much to describe about tonight’s dinner. It’s just split pea soup with a salad, although I am subbing turkey stock for chicken stock in the original recipe. Also, not using turnips, we’ll have parsnips instead. Turnips are one of the very few vegetables I don’t like.

The soup is another recipe from Savoring the Seasons of the Northern Heartland. I expect it to be just as fantastic as the three other recipes we’ve cooked from the book even with my changes.

2 Likes

I’m copying those ingredients- that soup sounds delicious.

1 Like

Liked your salad photos, especially those took with the very blue table, a good contrast with the food. Good lighting. Are you a pro photographer?

Today is a messy day, probably due to accumulated sleep deficit… I forgot the paid cream cheese at the supermarket cashier. I went back 2 hours later, nobody had any memory but they just let me have it.

WFD: chicken marinated with espelette pepper and paprika sauce (with lots of garlic, lemon juice and herbs) stuffed with this garlic herb Gournay cheese (Boursin). Was good, but would be better if I marinated for 24 hours… ate with jasmin rice and a big green salad (everything was green except the pink radish.

1 Like

A first @casa lingua tonight: homemade crab cakes with homemade tartar sauce… a dinner that’s got more mayo than is probably good for us. Oh well.

The virtuous part will be German-style cuke salad, which I am likely to eat mostly myself, since my darling ain’t much of a fan.

I’ve prepped everything already, as I’ll be working till 10 PM – so all my man will have to do is form the cakes, coat in panko and fry 'em up once I enter the house.

Looking forward to a new experiment :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! I studied photography as part of a design degree many years ago but am far from being a professional. That shot was taken outside with natural light (I’m in the Southern Hemisphere so it’s summer here).

I like the sound of your dinner.

Just a suggestion, I usually form the cakes and refrigerate for an hr or two before I fry them. They stay together better. Crab cakes have a tendency to fall apart when they are “hand warm” before cooking.

This way, too, all the man has to do is pop them in pan and you will have more time to celebrate your glorious arrival home :notes:

2 Likes

The mixture is currently in the fridge – he was going to take it out and form the cakes & roll in the panko just before frying/broiling? It’ll be anything but room temp.

The very best scarpariello I’ve had or made is Ann Burrell’s recipe based on Rao’s, I believe. I always make it on the bone: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/chicken-scarpiello-recipe.html

It is SOOOOO damned good, especially the next day, I think.

Chilling after forming really does make them hold together better, for some reason. But they’ll taste great no matter what. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, thanks for the link. I love Anne and have had good luck with the recipes that I’ve tried. This is different enough from my dish that I’ll have to give it a try.

2 Likes

Please let me know what you think once you do! It’s my husband’s favorite Italian restaurant dish and this is his favorite version. I use half and half sweet and hot peppers for normal people and all hot ones for when it’s just the two of us.

I haven’t been cooking that much lately, so I thought I owed my husband a meatloaf. Have a big one in the oven because he loves leftovers, bound with almond meal and a tiny bit of panko. Cauliflower fauxtatoes and mixed veg on the side. House reeks of the onion I grated into it, will be burning incense tonight.

Oh, we will be using all cherry peppers for sure. We both love heat!

1 Like