What's for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

I am looking forward to a bit of a dip in the temp.

I always feel funny sharing my appreciation for chilly weather when I know that there are folks digging themselves out of snow.

I can just imagine them giving me a big foam finger… :foam_finger:

Last night was salmon, found at the back of the freezer, with a really nice Ottolenghi lentil recipe from Plenty, not one I had done before, and will do again. Had to trawl the shelves of open shops for herbs though - every food shop looked as though locusts had been through. Tonight - a basic stir fry, and possibly a lemon cake for pudding (Gary Rhodes recipe).
A very Happy New Year to everyone.

Lasagne. Salad.

3 Likes

WFD: ~ Cumin lamb from Lucky Peach 101 Easy Asian … pg. 41.
Cumin seeds; Sichuan peppercorns; dried red pepper flakes; thinly sliced lamb leg meat; white onions; scallions; soy sauce; Shaoxing rice wine, for which we’ll substitute Bourbon; cilantro. The ingredient amounts are prodigious. Garnished with cilantro and bean sprouts.
~ Steamed jasmine rice in chicken broth.

This is about all we’ll manage on the twoth of January 2016.

4 Likes

Oh, yes, I want that, Gio. I want that a lot.

1 Like

It’s all yours, John ! I can’t wait to taste this.
Page 41 in the book if you have it. If not here tis:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Q-IMBgAAQBAJ&pg=PT314&lpg=PT314&dq=Cumin+lamb+from+Lucky+Peach&source=bl&ots=EMbdugaxB9&sig=yS1-tV2QB4pDcry3WYrNbdam8f0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuzqn_3IvKAhWIQiYKHRXEAkgQ6AEIMjAD#v=onepage&q=Cumin%20lamb%20from%20Lucky%20Peach&f=false

Well I’m back as ginnyhw … used to be Berheenia. Only changed my name back in the day because an evil former manager was bird dogging me for inappropriate office behavior anyway she could and recognized my posts and totally embarrassed my very nice new manager at a staff meeting. Who cares… the dough faced bitch quit and I retired!
WFD is leftover Lasagna Bolognese with a small salad and some crusty bread. The last bottle of Lobster Reef is chilling.
Hope I replied to the group but hello Harters glad you liked 7 Fish in Key West.

7 Likes

This is WFD last night. We like it and have made it twice although never with the full amount of chicken and I’m thinking of subbing a can of rinsed black beans for the meat. Ate half and freezing half for later.

Cheesy Cornbread Chicken Tamale Casserole

Serves: 4-6

1 cup chopped bell pepper
¼ cup (45g) chopped onions
¾ cup (140g) corn kernels
12 ounces (340g) cooked and shredded chicken1
1 teaspoon oil cup (225g)
salsa1 cup (250g)
barbecue sauce1¼ cups (155g)
1 1/4 cup cornbread mix
⅓ cup (75g) sour cream
1 large egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup (120g) shredded cheese
Instructions Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
Heat the oil in an oven safe skillet (about 9 inches (23cm) wide). Add the peppers, onion and corn and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes.Take off the heat and stir in the shredded chicken, salsa and barbecue sauce. Flatten and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
In a medium bowl stir together the cornbread mix, sour cream, egg and melted butter. Gently spread over the casserole filling, careful not to mix them together. Leave a small edge to allow steam to escape.
Bake for 15-20 minute in the middle of the preheated oven.Scatter the cheese over the top and finish baking for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is all bubbly and melted.

3 Likes

Hey, Ginny. Good to see you here. What kept you?

By the by, I retired and left my dough faced bitch there to cope as best as she could without someone competent to hold her hand. I sometimes wonder what became of her. And how long she lasted.

3 Likes

Yay! Nice to have you here, ginnyhw!

1 Like

Have leftover boneless leg of lamb roast. Sandwiches? I have to wait for the husband and toddler to wake up from naps before I start clunking around in the kitchen. Also have some pizza dough, lamb pizza? Will have to think on it.

2 Likes

I use left over lamb for a souvlaki inspired pita with tzaziki, tomatoes and sweet onions. I also use it for shepherds pie. I’m cooking a lamb roast tomorrow and I’ll use the leftovers during the week as noted!

2 Likes

Welcome back!

2 Likes

Late lunch after taking Mom shopping (we both got some very good deals, although the crowds in the mall and on the roads left a lot to be desired!) Split a Panera sandwich with Mom, and while I wanted to go out tonight, I was tired and had a bit of vertigo, which returned unexpectedly a day or so ago.

So dinner was in - and it was light: a salad of red Boston lettuce, leftover chicken, shaved carrots, sliced radishes, crumbled goat cheese, croutons, and a honey-ginger-pomegranate vinaigrette. It was pretty good - should have put sections of clementine on there as well. But I didn’t. Oh well.

5 Likes

Left over pizza, wine, Ducks football.

2 Likes

Thai red curry stir fry with chicken & snap peas

4 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Dinner tonight was up in the air, but my son ended up making a really good puttanesca sauce (sans anchovies for the vegetarian) with lots of salt-cured capers, delicious little coquilla olives and lots of garlic and San Marzanos. Fresh fettuccine, crunchy, cheesy Milanese pounded blsl chicken thigh and some crusty bread rounded out the meal, and a Kunde reserve cab from our recent trip to Napa topped things off nicely. A very satisfying meal.

3 Likes

I freeze in slices/chunks. It then usually goes as sharwama or shepherds pie. It’s also good warmed through in a devilled sauce - no recipe but something comes together with stock or red wine, flavoured with mustard, Worcestershire sauce and something sweet like redcurrant jelly.

1 Like

There’s a lamb casserole defrosting. I made it before Xmas as a standby in case we got bored with festive food. In the event, boredom didnt set in, although there’s been nothing really interesting, or particularly enjoyable, to eat in the last 10 days.

So, it’s pretty much a lamb casserole that shrieks that it’s a dish from northern Europe in winter. Neck fillet, root vegetables, pearl barley, sprigs of rosemary. It’ll need some dumplings - just self raising flour, suet and parsley. And a goodly sprinkle of chives just before serving.

5 Likes