What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Well, crap. THAT sounds just amazing!

4 Likes

Based on your post, 2 lamb shanks are in the oven with aromatic veg. Not exactly Indian but braised lamb shanks are a beautiful thing

6 Likes

I made Hunan cumin (ground) lamb with cauli-brown rice blend, lots of garden peppers, and some chicken-cilantro pot stickers. Tasty but the Aldi ground lamb is too fatty for my taste - even drained.

7 Likes

That looks absolutely lovely. (roasted cauliflower steak etc )

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

Had the day off and after cutting the grass and dealing with estate issues I ended up at BJ’s and picked up two big lamb shanks.

Braised meats really push my buttons

3 hrs in the oven while I relaxed by the pool seemed like the ticket. I had already cleaned the filter…

A Kosta Browne 2016 Russian River Pinot was the perfect compliment
No starch served although several would have been appropriate. Side salad rounded out the meal

B66806E5-4D18-454B-9CE6-E9618E08FBBE.jpeg

20 Likes

Moussaka, purslane

DH added apple croustade

13 Likes

I really like your style. Everything homemade and gourmet!

2 Likes

Made corn chowder the other day. A blend of whole and puréed corn with chicken and corn stock as well as a bit of cream. Added some thin sliced lemongrass along with onion and garlic which really boosts the flavor and perfumes the dish a bit and really taste great

8 Likes

I need to get better about pics.

Last night was “Use it or Lose it Pasta Party Surprise!”

A single ear of corn, a tiny head of broccoli, 2 eggplants, 1 zucchini, 3 sausages, a few tomatoes, pasta and a partridge in a pear tree.

12 Likes

Dinner was shrimp with tomatoes roasted in oven with Evoo, herbs from garden till they rendered their juice to which shrimp was added,

Tomatoes( larger last tomatoes harvested other than cherry tomatoes) were roasted in the La Chamber roasting pan, then 1/4 of tomatoes was transferred to a small individual Emille Henry lasagna pan, topped with feta and returned to oven till feta melted and shrimp added. Ergo the La Chamba roasting pan is only 2/3 full. That will be 2 meals for son.

Red Patagonia Shrimp stir fried in wok with tons of .crushed garlic, Evoo, a tin of anchovyin Evoo, 3 chipotles and adobo sauce ( I had a small amount of cherry tomatoes, so I cooked that in wok, till they burst, before adding shrimp) Juice of one lime prior to serving with steamered red kokuho rice

15 Likes

Nice, I do that a lot when I make pasta sauce as well. Maybe start with just tomatoes then open the fridge, shred a carrot or some zucchini that needs to be used up, oh gotta use up this giant jar of Kalamata olives, toss in a cheese rind, etc.

6 Likes

Random question: I can’t find Wood Ear Shrooms anywhere right now (fresh or packaged). If I wait for Amazon my other ingredients will spoil. Is there anything y’all would use as a substitute? Thanks!

1 Like

@VERONA, ITALIA …

BUFFO%20per%20Gioco_36329

Dinner: Michelin Ristorante 12 Apostoli.
Verona, Veneto.
Michelin Starred Chef Mauro Buffo.
Gioco is the nickname for my dear.

" An explosión of pure bespoken sublime exquisiteness."

14 Likes

Fabulous!

2 Likes

Hamburgers & Russets on the Weber. With button mushrooms and cashews in a foil pouch…

14 Likes

I’ve never considered putting cashews or any other nuts on my burger - interesting, do they soften up from being roasted?

4 Likes

I know. It looks really good though.

1 Like

Yes, they do. This was done on a whim–I realized I had two bags (about a pound) of roasted, unsalted cashews in the pantry. Being a bit obsessive, I had to find a use for a portion of them today. Remembered seeing scores of burger recipes featuring peanut butter as a condiment, thought why not cashews…

They went into the tin foil pocket with the button mushrooms, and TPSTOB atop all. Didn’t end up a “revelation” but added a whats this bite to the burger.

10 Likes

Short weeks = longer week than they should be. But I got out at a reasonable hour.

Dinner = relatively quick and easy.

I was able to use up some stuff in the cabinets and fridge: cavatappi with sauteed sausage, broccoli florets, minced shallots, and chopped fresh tomatoes.

The sauce was white wine, pasta water, juice from the tomatoes, minced garlic, tomato paste, a smidge of heavy cream, Aleppo pepper, salt, dried savory, and dried oregano.

It’s Friday. There was wine. As if I needed to to tell you all.

13 Likes