What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Incredible King Crab ! Totally delectable …

1 Like

@Madrid,

Yes, I realised …

Welcome to the WFD table, @Sabuj_Kumar_Ghosh . Would love to know what’s on yours!

1 Like

The close-up photos of the claws are just fabulous!

2 Likes

I giggled at this:

““This is definitely the type of town where, if someone gets murdered, everyone agrees to keep it a secret and not make a fuss,” he says.”

3 Likes

Back home after a long weekend at the beach.

Lunch yesterday from leftover salmon from the night before

Watching Dorian with interest. Crazy it’s not moving but glad it’s not moving across the state to me. Saw this as the outer bands passed over us. Looked scary but just a bit of heavy rain

Back home. Pan seared mahi and sea scallops with micro salad greens for dinner

16 Likes

@Scubadoo,

Wow. That is a lovely salmon salad dip and an awesome skyscape photo.

3 Likes

Thanks @LindaWhit! They look like prehistoric creatures :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

A mish-mosh of apps, and no pix unfortunately. Pan con tomate because the garden is finally producing ripe ones! Corn soup (just roasted corn, pureed with corn stock made from the cobs, strained and mixed with salt & cream). Seared scallops. Fried salami for the no fishy boy. And caprese! Yes different region of the world. Added prosciutto, and subbed tomatoes for fresh nectarine. Everyone was happy.

Today will be beef stroganoff with green beans (glut of them) cooked in some fashion. Ideas anyone?

8 Likes

That mish-mosh sounds right up my alley! As for your green beans - I usually keep it simple and steam them. But perhaps roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper and some garlic powder?

I’ve roasted them before at Thanksgiving, and they’ve been lovely. Might give that a spin. Especially since dinner will be on the mushy side. Some crisp could be a good contrast.

1 Like

You need some acid to cut through the rich main. How about braising the beans in broth with garlic, bay leaf, olive oil, shallot or onion, chili flake, s&p, and a good splash of cider vinegar? A smidge of soy sauce doesn’t hurt, either. Normally I’d add bacon but not necessary with the beef. Sautee the aromatics, ten add broth and beans and cook til very tender (or in the IP for 6-7min), natural release 5-10 more.

I’ve always avoided cooking green beans until they are that soft, because I’m afraid they’ll end up like those awful canned green beans from our childhood. Should I not be afraid? Otherwise, I like the idea. Soft on soft though. Might save this to have with a steak, and do the roasting bean thing, but drizzle on lemon juice at the end - nod to your tart advice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lucky you grow them! Just bought a tiny basket of 5 figs at the FM for $7!!!

Thanks

My cousin’s condo. I keep everyone fed and feeling good. It’s my job

3 Likes

I also had a glut of haricots vert earlier this year. Besides a lot of Salade Niçoise one of the preparations I liked was this recipe from Pierre Franey.
https://www.pierrefraney.com/recipes/salads/green_beans_and_red_onion_vinaigrette.html

2 Likes

Sounds like the start of my 3 bean salad! I made a bunch over the weekend. The kids like it for school lunches. Never have they taken a mere turkey or ham sandwich. That would make my life too easy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

King crab is my absolute favorite splurge food. Hardly ever have it due to the $$$. So so good.

3 Likes

Yes, this is the first time I have had King crab legs and dungeness crab at home. Mrs. P just happened to see Costco advertising this seafood special for Labor day when she was shopping a week earlier. It is a bit of a splurge but well worth it. There was so much sweet delicious crab meat in the legs and whole crab. I can’t wait to have the leftover dungeness crab tonight.

7 Likes

For the green beans, stewed with olive oil, garlic and tomatoes. I’ll look for a link.

3 Likes