What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

We had split a portion of leftover miso chicken tonight, and then I had half a PBJ and some cereal. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

you are very welcome!

BF used some of the Slater’s preserved tomatoes I made last night as a sauce for cheese manicotti (from our freezer-stash of things I got from our Italian deli that closed. :sob:) Salad of iceberg, French feta, sultanas, pine nuts, in a vinaigrette. It appears we inadvertently had a Meatless Monday, because the BF forgot to defrost anything.

13 Likes

Looks tasty!

I’m curious about the meal kit. There seems to be a growing market! How did you decide to do it, and how did you choose brand and meal? What did you think of what you got?

I think its on topic.
bitmoji-20190916093839

1 Like

Never made this, will try it one day. I’m more lazy, do more pommes sautées with butter (and rarely with stock too).

Heating up some south-western Tonneins ham with sauce (the recipe was a secret) and potato bake in fondue with emmental, thick cream, white wine, dahes of cognac and onion pickles.

And there was cocktail!

17 Likes

@Naf,

It is still too warm for the wild varieties such as Boletus (penny buns) etcetra.

I know! Although I’m a pessimist this year. 87 departments have drought and water restrictions. (Which made me question, why this policy doesn’t concern us living near the capital?! We don’t have much rain too!) Last year, it was dry but not as dry and there were not much mushrooms in the market. Looks like this trend goes on, sadly.

I hope things are better for you in Spain.

1 Like

SALAD: RUCOLA, GRAPES, WILD APPLES & EVOO VINAIGRETTE … LIGHT AND REFRESHING …

14 Likes

Pan fried haddock. Tartare sauce (supermarket). Boiled new potatoes. Steamed purple sprouting broccoli (although it beats me why the supermarket is stocking this usually very seasonal spirng veg in September).

Strawberries & raspberries with cream as a sweet.

10 Likes

BTW John,
Thinking about a Scotland trip for this summer… (my honey has this burning desire to visit)

Seasonally and food speaking any particular time better than another?

2 Likes

Late summer into autumn, without question. Scotland has excellent game and this is really the season for it. There’s also great seafood - almost fresh off the boats in the northern parts.

Be warned , it’s somewhere that has great ingredients but often an inability of anyone to cook them decently. So, it’s very possible to eat badly. Research will be vital.

4 Likes

Crab cakes, German stripe from the garden, peas and corn and my fav grilled green beans.

13 Likes

So many variations on the pumpkin martini. Always start with 4 ounces of pumpkin cream liqueur (Fulton’s Harvest or Pennsylvania Dutch) then add a half ounce of vodka AND a half ounce of any of the following: bourbon, brandy, spiced rum, or Licor 43 (if you like sweeter). Shake and strain! I’ve played around a lot with this one.

4 Likes

And what was in THAT cocktail?

It’s a sidecar, Courcel cognac + Grand Marnier + lemon juice.

This could be difficult to find here.

4 Likes

Cabbage and chicken soup to go with Japanese rice. Used chicken thigh, added some leftover carrots and shimeji mushrooms as well.

14 Likes

Thank you John…so about a year from now…
Secondly, since I will be close by… I will want to stop in your corner, and hoist a pint with you and your bride!

Where are you located? Bailey’s also makes a pumpkin spice version that I have not tried.

Keep me posted on your plans, Phreddy

1 Like