What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Can you share, or was it a serendipitous mix?

Looks so comforting.

1 Like

Sure, I saved notes. Let me know if you need any explanation. There’s a trashy ingredient but it could be omitted - just lends some umami and creaminess. You could swap in tomatillos for the green tomatoes and lime juice. Spice measurements are guesstimates - use your judgement.

In the IP on high saute:

1 lg onion diced

4 small poblanos seeded and diced

2 bay leaves

1 Tbsp oil

1-2 tsp Badia Adobo sin pimienta

1 Tbsp ground cumin

Pinch Mexican oregano

1/2 tsp. ea garlic granules and onion powder

1.2 lb lean ground turkey

S&P

1/2 packet ranch dip mix

In a blender puree:

1 lg shallot

6-8 cloves garlic

1/3 bunch cilantro with stems

4 green tomatoes

1 c water

Juice of 1 lime

Jalapeño minced or jalapeño paste

1 tsp ea chicken and veggie BTB

Reserve:

1 can ea. black eyed peas, great northern beans, and hominy, drained

1 ear of corn, cut from the cob

Directions:

After cooking the meat with the seasonings, pepper, and onion, add the pureed sauce to the IP. Add water if needed. Cover and cook at high pressure for 5 min. Release the pressure and add the drained beans, corn, and hominy. Turn back to saute, cover, and heat through. Serve with sour cream or yogurt.

7 Likes

Sounds fantastic. Wow. And, I’m happy to use Badia, Goya and other flavorings. I’ll let you know when I try it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Shrimp with peas, dal, parathas, rice.

17 Likes

We went to Fin in Summit, NJ for the 1st time. It is under different ownership than the one we have been going to in Montclair, and much better. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

5 Likes

Pork chops marinated all night in the yogurt/spice/olive oil mixture, but they didn’t drain very well. i added a rub (leftover jerk chicken rub with extra smoky paprika/brown sugar/chili flakes/etc.), and it all just got blended in with the yogurt. Most tender pork chops I’ve ever made! But the star of the show were the melting potatoes, which are first seared and then roasted in a mixture of olive oil and TPSTOB (also garlic, rosemary & thyme) so that they’re crispy outside but meltingly tender inside. To die for. Wedge salad with TJs blue cheese on the side. BF and I split one pork chop, and I had to restrain myself from eating the rest of the potatoes.

oh, and I’m making these again…

18 Likes

Love the star of the show. I like to take my potato, slice part way through and break of into a irregular shape. Creates those nooks and crannies.

5 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for responding.

Lemme’ guess. Ranch Dip Mix? I love that stuff. Gotta’ be the packets, not the slimy bottled stuff.

1 Like

Looks really great!

On this late summer weekend that we just had, I was in a mood to put simple yet delicious flavors on our plates.

First up: A meatball pizza with roasted red peppers and yellow cherry tomatoes from our CSA (community supported agriculture) farm share. The drizzle on top is balsamic vinegar.

Second: Hot buttered lobster rolls with CSA corn on the side. We took a shortcut by buying lobsters steamed to order at a nearby Market Basket grocery store, then we went home and I immediately prepared the meat in butter.

I was wishing for potato roll hot dog buns for these and found them at Market Basket too. They do exist! If anyone’s looking, Koffee Kup brand makes them as a New England style bun. I first grilled the outsides of the buns in butter in a large sauté pan for more richness.

Not pictured is a dessert of bread pudding with whiskey sauce that our neighbor surprised us with. While making dessert for a family birthday party, she prepared extra for us. We felt spoiled in the best possible way, as she is a wonderful cook at just over the age of 80. We’re lucky neighbors.

20 Likes

Your fish in papillote looks marvelous! Beautiful plating. You inspire me to make some as the evenings here grow cooler and using the oven is tolerable again.

3 Likes

These sound AMAZING. I found a couple of recipes on line that call for broth in addition to butter for the roasting step - is that how you did yours, or do you go with all fat, like a confit?

4 Likes

Thanks. Now you reminded me that I should use that yoga ball when at desk.

2 Likes

Had a small BBQ at our neighbor’s house last night.

A batch of my famous Pumpkin Pie Martinis

Brought these goodies from the Thai restaurant (crispy beef and chicken satay)

Neighbor made this truly wonderful spinach and rice salad

Because I didn’t grill enough yesterday, I was tasked with taking care of this flank steak

There was also an assortment of cheese and crackers, a green salad, and tomato-mozzarella salad. A great evening.

18 Likes

Keeping notes!

1 Like

Pizza baked on the oven floor.
47%20PM

12 Likes

Yeah, just because we had it and a friend uses it in her chicken chili.

1 Like

Very nice. Would like to taste your pumpkin pie martini, recipe?

We had a party at neighbours’ too, they had traiteur coming to serve food, they had invited a lot of people, around 30. A few champagne to start with a few canapés, meal was either roasted chicken or rice with pasta, rice or salad, 2 desserts Unfortunately food was so so, without much seasoning. Lots of alcohol though, we had a great time anyway.

3 Likes