What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Thank you! It was :blush:

Dunner tonight was good but pictures does not do justice
That is halibut steaks cooked in grill using heavy duty foil, smeared with lots of pesto served with more pesto It was excellent!
Polenta again pan fried in Evoo and freshly grated

reggiano parmeggiano.

13 Likes

Butter lettuce and wild greens, banyuls vinegar and EVOO.

Green pea and ricotta pasta, lemon zest and Parm. German sausage.

Apple croustade

15 Likes

Tonight, I made southern indian lamb curry featuring coconut, tamarind and lamb shanks. It’s a little sweet, a little tangy and if you wish, a little spicy. The toasted coconut sesame paste adds depth that coconut milk alone doesn’t provide.

To make this, I toasted coconut flakes and sesame seeds, ground them in a mortar & pestle, then blended them with caramelized onions into a paste. To that, I added spices, ginger-garlic paste, tamarind, coconut cream and lamb shanks.

After the shank meat became soft, I pulled it off, shredded it and added it back to the curry.

25 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

Meat ravioli with marinara and leftover kale salad. Phoned it in. There was wine.

9 Likes

Yesterday was sauteed turkey kielbasa, then braised with onion, cabbage, and a little wine. Plus super crispy oven roasted potato wedges. Today is pizza potluck for an afterschool kid event. Tomorrow, another potluck, where I’ll bring an oft-repeated cold pasta salad. Pasta mixed with chunked garden tomatoes and arugula, and all dressed with a home-made tomato vinagrette (tomato, evoo, rice wine vin, scallion, honey). I also have to bring a veg platter, and plan to introduce some peeps to ground cherries, as they are now abundantly falling all over my garden beds.

8 Likes

Oh nice!

this looks so good! can practically smell it from here…

2 Likes

Well, crap. THAT sounds just amazing!

4 Likes

Based on your post, 2 lamb shanks are in the oven with aromatic veg. Not exactly Indian but braised lamb shanks are a beautiful thing

6 Likes

I made Hunan cumin (ground) lamb with cauli-brown rice blend, lots of garden peppers, and some chicken-cilantro pot stickers. Tasty but the Aldi ground lamb is too fatty for my taste - even drained.

7 Likes

That looks absolutely lovely. (roasted cauliflower steak etc )

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

Had the day off and after cutting the grass and dealing with estate issues I ended up at BJ’s and picked up two big lamb shanks.

Braised meats really push my buttons

3 hrs in the oven while I relaxed by the pool seemed like the ticket. I had already cleaned the filter…

A Kosta Browne 2016 Russian River Pinot was the perfect compliment
No starch served although several would have been appropriate. Side salad rounded out the meal

B66806E5-4D18-454B-9CE6-E9618E08FBBE.jpeg

20 Likes

Moussaka, purslane

DH added apple croustade

13 Likes

I really like your style. Everything homemade and gourmet!

2 Likes

Made corn chowder the other day. A blend of whole and puréed corn with chicken and corn stock as well as a bit of cream. Added some thin sliced lemongrass along with onion and garlic which really boosts the flavor and perfumes the dish a bit and really taste great

8 Likes

I need to get better about pics.

Last night was “Use it or Lose it Pasta Party Surprise!”

A single ear of corn, a tiny head of broccoli, 2 eggplants, 1 zucchini, 3 sausages, a few tomatoes, pasta and a partridge in a pear tree.

12 Likes

Dinner was shrimp with tomatoes roasted in oven with Evoo, herbs from garden till they rendered their juice to which shrimp was added,

Tomatoes( larger last tomatoes harvested other than cherry tomatoes) were roasted in the La Chamber roasting pan, then 1/4 of tomatoes was transferred to a small individual Emille Henry lasagna pan, topped with feta and returned to oven till feta melted and shrimp added. Ergo the La Chamba roasting pan is only 2/3 full. That will be 2 meals for son.

Red Patagonia Shrimp stir fried in wok with tons of .crushed garlic, Evoo, a tin of anchovyin Evoo, 3 chipotles and adobo sauce ( I had a small amount of cherry tomatoes, so I cooked that in wok, till they burst, before adding shrimp) Juice of one lime prior to serving with steamered red kokuho rice

15 Likes