What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

BLT on coco bread.

12 Likes

I guess it depends what you’re looking for in a forum. Personally I go elsewhere to share my restaurant reviews and photos (namely, Yelp) and am most interested in this cooking forum for homecooking examples and inspiration 🤷. Others’ mileage may (and apparently does) vary though.

2 Likes

A friend grows the most amazing tomatoes & is generous with them! This week she gave me 2 big batches, I share with a couple of friends. The first photo is a giant Brandywine OTV… Last night I had to use up veggies before we leave for Kelowna BC so zoodles with an uncooked Summer tomato sauce & a few meat balls was dinner…

17 Likes

Well said…NAF

1 Like

I told my mom about …Thank you!

1 Like

In case anyone is interested, we treated our friends from Staten Island to a very belated birthday dinner at Technique in Westwood, NJ. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

7 Likes

It’s not quite fall weather, but I found a nice bag of brussel sprouts at WF. Shredded sprouts with bacon, onion, pine nuts, lemon juice, and a few ricotta gnocchi from the freezer. Garlic bread and wine for sides.

11 Likes

Chicken Katsudon

Fried Cutlet, simmered for 1 minute in a broth of Dashi, Soy Sauce, Sake, Mirin, Sugar, then covered w/Egg & Scallion mixture and simmer covered for 1-2 minutes. Cutlets absorb the dashi and the egg mixture sets custard-like. Slide from the pan onto a bowl of Rice, garnish w/more Scallions (ran out :frowning_face:). Husband likes extra dashi on his rice, others might too. It’s good hot, but more delicious at room temp when everything has melded together. Also, a side of Snap Peas (not pictured).

#GiveSoggyKatsuAChance

12 Likes

Brown gloops from the freezer. One actually beige gloop in the form of mac & cheese. The other a sausage & bean casserole.

3 Likes

agree wholeheartedly

I am stealing this idea. Sounds great.

1 Like

In praise of soggy-crisp food

1 Like

The first pizza to come out of my wonderful new stove:

20 Likes

So you’re going to keep us in suspense huh?

…well how did it taste!? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, garlic oil, fontina, parm, asiago, San Marzanos…pretty darn good! I have to figure out placement of the pizza steel, though. It could have used a little more browning so I’ll move the steel down one level next time.

6 Likes

Nice job on your first pizza! Beautiful stove too I have not seen that brand before. Love your ingredients line up to.

2 Likes

Let me know when the next pizza party is :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! So far (after two days) the stove is a thing of beauty. Really fast boiling a pot of water for pasta, and it came back to a boil really quickly after adding the pasta. The broiler seems to be the weakest link, but I love everything else about it.

2 Likes

Leftovers tonight!

Bear is that stove a duo fuel?

1 Like