What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Dinner was leftovers.

And as soon as it cools a bit, Peach & Booberry Cobbler with a handful of blueberries from my sister’s wayback backyard.

But I have no vanilla ice cream. A major SSSF (Saturday Supermarket Shopping Fail).

15 Likes

Bombay Sapphire :smiley:

2 Likes

Then this happened

Twice (yesterday and today). Hey, we biked…

12 Likes

Awesome cobbler.

1 Like

Phew!

1 Like

Our friend from Staten Island invited us over for a caviar dinner. I am not really a caviar fan but this was pretty good. The caviar I have had in the past was salty and fishy but this was none of that. My favorite was a trout roe that was bacon infused. He also made smoked shrimp; pesto risotto with black truffles; seared day boat scallops with white wine, lemon butter, and crispy bacon; maple cured sausage and peppers; smoked chicken with hoisin and garlic and shaved black truffles; and a delicious homemade pesto ice cream among other things.

18 Likes

Outstanding wowza .

1 Like

Thanks. Yes it was :blush:

Wow. You can’t get better looking food at many fine dining establishments. Amazing!

2 Likes

Thanks Greg. We are very fortunate to have friends like that.

1 Like

That is all looking top notch! The JD barrel is just icing on the cake. Those are actually quite expensive to get, not only shipping, but just buying the barrel. That looked like quite a feast.

1 Like

Thanks Johnny. They just got that JD barrel table. It is really cool.

Tri tip and Vivian Howard’s tomato pie.

19 Likes

That looks like a meat loving vegetarian’s dream @Elsieb. I’ve been trying to figure out what to make for the vegetarians at our next bbq. Bingo!

I hear that! We hosted a sleepover for 9 yr olds on Saturday.

After hotdogs & popcorn at the El Capitan Theatre watching The Lion King we had ice cream at the conveniently located Ghiradelli’s, then “dinner” at Dave & Busters across the street…

Yep, I definitely need a bff night out! :crazy_face:

15 Likes

It’s very much a “use up” tonight at Harters Hall. There’s leftover roast beef. And the leftover spuds & veg (carrot & chard) will be fried up as “bubble & squeak”. And there’s a little bit left of the Yorkshire Salad which is the traditional accompaniment to roast beef - well at least by three generations of Harters. The fridge has nectarines and strawberries so we’ll conjure something up there by way of pudding

5 Likes

re Staten Island dinner, I kind’a don’t have friends like this. No, I really don’t. Would be nice…

2 Likes

So what’s the Harters Hall version of Yorkshire Salad? Sounds intriguing…

Thinly sliced onion and cucumber, steeped in malt vinegar. There are other versions, of course, but this is the one Mum used to make and, as I recall, it’s what her mum used to make.

Very much a traditional North of England accompaniment to beef.

By the by, there used to be a website which mapped surnames listed on English census information (can’t find it now). We Hartleys very much came from the East Lancashire/ West Yorkshire area. I’m less than an hour’s drive from that part of the world.

3 Likes

Well, you do have a friend in SI @pilgrim. It was Rich :slightly_smiling_face: