What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Wow, props to anyone trying to do a Timpano ala Big Night!!!

3 Likes

Again, I am tempted to move into your neighborhood and befriend you and all those neighbors of yours! WOW!

3 Likes

:grin:you would be very, very welcome

1 Like

Pasta with clam cooked in saké and crème fraîche, very good.

17 Likes

worked until 10:30 last night, so I was glad to have made the skillet chicken thigh dish i posted above the night before. won’t win any beautify contests, but it was tasty to come home to, despite my forced substitutions of basil for the cilantro and champagne vinegar for the lime, as I was out of both. (who runs out of cilantro and lime??) The charred scallions saved it.

tonight is out at this place with the BF for bday dinner…

friend of ours works there so it’ll be fun.

12 Likes

For Taco Tuesday Mrs. P made Asian pulled duck leg confit tostados with a side of refreshing corn salad :yum: The duck leg was made with hoisin, soy, Chinese 5 spice, scallions, garlic, vegetable broth, grated ginger, black sesame seeds, olive oil spray, arugula, and radishes. The corn salad was made with avocado, lime, red wine vinegar, garlic salt, olive oil, old bay, pepper, red onions, tomatoes, and fresh home grown basil.

14 Likes

Well then…Many Happy Returns!

A few days ago I turned a smoked chicken carcass and pork belly rind into my riff on Momofuku tonkatsu broth. Tonight we added slow-roasted pork belly (Chang’s method), ramen noodles, soft-boiled eggs, corn, edamame, and shitake mushrooms and topped with scallion, togarashi, and furikake.

To quote the babe, who ate heartily: “yummy!”

22 Likes

Every so often you bomb. Even with a well tested recipe/concept. So I threw together this pork goulash vibrantly seasoned with paprika. Bad decision was tossing in a spoonful of Spanish smoked paprika -> a totally different flavor profile.

Worse, there is a lot of it!
Somewhat mitigated by luscious avocado/Valentina sauce starter.

Falling back on my mantra, it’s only dinner and tomorrow you’ll do it all over again.

16 Likes

Maybe you can turn it into a mole and disguise the smoked paprika flavor?

ETA: https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Pork-with-Mole-Negro-Sauce/

9 Likes

I find the development (or not) of taste in children so interesting. I’m sure you rack your brain trying to find correlations. But the babe is growing and changing so quickly - I imagine the same meal served a few months later might be a completely different sensory experience for him. All to say I enjoy and appreciate you sharing this journey. Experiencing this vicariously through your posts I was like “YES!” that he liked this meal!

6 Likes

It sounds good in theory!

2 Likes

Made Shanghai “Choy Fan” for dinner tonight. This is the rice with bok choy and Jinhua ham, served in a clay pot.

16 Likes

It’s so crazy. He’s been trying so many more foods and eating them more enthusiastically in the last week or two. We’ve been doing this thing where we kind of tease him about his tummy being “too small” to eat more or taste something, which he thinks is hilarious to disprove. And we talk about how eating X will make him so strong for biking, running, etc. Or we brag about how much broccoli, turkey, etc. his little buddy eats - and he gets competitive.

I’m not sure these social pressures are legit good parenting techniques, but it’s working, so… 🤷?

8 Likes

Oooh yum! Is there a recipe you referenced?

When I first discovered smoked paprika, I made exactly the same mistake. I substituted it for regular paprika in Szekely Goulash. It was awful! I’m embarrassed to say that I ended up throwing it out. Just couldn’t eat it!

3 Likes

Will probaby do the same. DH is very much against sending good food/money after bad. Thanks for the consolation.

1 Like

I recently made a spice mixture for grilled chicken. It included smoked paprika. It was a success. There was some left over, so I tried it with steamed shrimp. Not a success. But I found that if I dipped the shrimp in @ccj’s dipping sauce, they were quite edible.

2 Likes

Hi @Saregama -

Just curious, what is the name & locale of the restaurant?

Do you have composting service in your town? If I remember you’re in California so I would be surprised if you don’t. The one that I use in my town is vegan (so no meat or dairy) But it’s a free drop off service which is awesome. And you will feel less guilty about throwing out food

2 Likes