What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

that is a large quantity to process. True, my home grown tomatoes skin are very thin but I find that if I drop them in ice bath, the skinning has to be almost immediately as if I wait , they are more difficult to slip off. It was really messy as I found the tiles wet and had to steam them . I will not go thru that process again.

I love tomato pie. Another idea is to coat the bottom of the crust with a strong French mustard. If you like mustard, it adds a really nice taste.

2 Likes

I often use a little turmeric as a sub for saffron when I’m looking more for colour than flavour. In Spain, you can buy little sachets of powdered corn that does the same colouring job at a fraction of the price. Must get some more next trip.

2 Likes

I am not much a mustard , have 2 jars, a grey poupon and a Maile’s grain mustard. They are only there if guest wants it. I found the technique of lacing cheese and laying over the crust, baking it for a few minutes helps with a soggy crust. The puff pastry sheet that I used yesterday turned out great. I precooked the puff pastry sheets at 400 deg with some pie crust marble for 20 minutes, took it out, laid some cheese and back to oven for 5 minutes, let it cool and assembled my tomatoes etc. The crust was not soggy at all!

Nigel’s preserved tomatoes?

Maybe they will set up a bit.

11 Likes

Yep, that’s pretty much how they look, although his recipe calls for the toms to be deseeded.

Have to say, they worked really well as a dressing for green beans.

2 Likes

I sorta attempted to take the seeds out. From the cherry toms, I used a fondue fork. Now THAT’S fiddly!

“Have to say, they worked really well as a dressing for green beans.”

Can’t hardly wait!

1 Like

I did not use my cherry tomato in Nigel’s recipe , rather, I cooked the cherry tomatoes separately in a wok with EVOP, garlic and herbs tis they burst
I do not mind their seeds,
Making use of the large oven capacity, I also charred some sweet peppers,added herbs, and place it in the oven for 45 min
Then, I assembled everything made my pie using puff pastry shell.
Sorry I did not take picture
Guests were new neighbors,met for the first time.I did not want to explain about HO and picture taking.
They loved the pie O also added caramelized onions and wok blistered shishito peppers to these aside from 4 kinds of cheese

2 Likes

My daughter and I made vegan garlic knots using this recipe:
https://www.sixvegansisters.com/2019/07/28/garlic-knots/ We used bread dough from the store instead of making it ourselves. Super good (and I’m far from being a vegan)!

13 Likes

Wow they look great! Paging Trockwood (can’t seem to tag her?!?)

4 Likes

Busy weekend running around to social functions and conquering a mountain of laundry. We had chicken salad last night late and leftovers tonight on fluffy yeasted rolls.

I made a kale, gruyere, and aged gouda crustless quiche for a birthday brunch this morning:

14 Likes

I was thinking about Trockwood when we were making them. I actually had never heard of garlic knots before Trockwood mentioned them.

5 Likes

Cheese stuffed squash blossoms, avocado salsa, apero

Shrimp and corn, sauteed wild spinach, fried green tomatoes with tartar sauce

17 Likes

No actually I have been adding Turmeric to lots of stews for the last year or so…and I find it gives a subtle depth…so why not… additionally in red sauce, a minced carrot or two, which I forgot to mention…

2 Likes

Can I send them Amazon Prime?

2 Likes

Cooking and laundry day. Chicken stock and plum “ketchup”. Never got to the chicken corn chowder for Sis and BIL.

But I did make another freezer dish for my sister and BIL: Chicken Cacciatore from here.

Served on very non-traditional rice pilaf with asparagus alongside.

Wine. LOTS of wine. :grin:

15 Likes

None of these short pours . Right Linda. Cheers :wine_glass:

6 Likes

Was going to finish the bottle, so rather than get up for the 2nd pour…

6 Likes

Sure :grinning:

1 Like

Pork loin. :thinking:

Reverse seared pork loin, and a link to an old thread.

Pork loin rut

10 Likes