What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Mrs. P made her famous spicy smoky Andouille sausage pizza that we enjoyed al fresco on the deck on a beautiful day. It went great with a 2014 Esser Cabernet, a nice every day wine.

15 Likes

Left work on time after a baby “shower” for a coworker. Had dessert first with the shower cake.

Dinner was a half pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil and Penzeys Tsardust seasoning blend, grilled on the grill pan and finished in the oven.

Sides were roasted Herbs de Provence and Paprika baby red and purple potatoes, and carrots and peas.

Oh yeah. Wine at work after the baby shower and wine at home. :grin:

20190726_154338

12 Likes

OMG…sounds like the wine was real good!!!

1 Like

No pictures…
Vegetable fried rice, with peas, corn, bamboo shoots, scallions, mushrooms, green beans, short ribs of beef…

4 Likes

We had a playdate with new neighbors - I made my famous rosemary white bean dip served up with pita chips. Also put out cantaloupe cubes, watermelon wedges, pretzels, and seasoned sliced garden cukes. Rosé and sauv blanc to drink - and they brought a natural wine. I like them already! I also baked up a frozen pizza to tame kiddie hanger.

No pics, but it was fun!

6 Likes

Which wine did the “little ones” prefer?.. Rose or Savion Blanc? (LOL)

1 Like

You buried the lead (short ribs) :grinning:

1 Like

Last time I made baked sweet potato fries I did this and they were so crispy!

1 Like

Well, I ended up making a quesadilla with leftover asada and veg

13 Likes

I serve on a museum board and our newsletter editor told me my presence was required for a photo shoot and some layout work tonight. At least he provided nourishment for when the job was done…

9 Likes

Yes I did…But the short ribs were cut up and put into the rice… as I was eating the rice…:yum:

2 Likes

Nice . Its Rose’ weather here .

1 Like

Give 15 minutes…I’ll be over…

1 Like

Chorizo, egg & tomato tacos, with avocado, cotija, onions, cilantro and jalapeno. Found fresh chorizo for a change, chunkier than the usual supermarket stuff. really good. Farmers market Marvel Stripe tomato in this, and my bfast sammie this morning, using a far more flavorful Early Girl tomato.

tomato%20sandwich

12 Likes

OMG! looks over the top!

1 Like

No ice water bath?

Probably sounds crazy but I do what you do, in the smallest pot I have, and follow with smallest pot ice bath. One tomato at a time. Water seems precious, although not so hard to re-purpose in July.

No ice bath. If using cold, they are usually going to join other cold veg. If using in a hot preparation, they are going to be cooked very soon.

1 Like

Okay thanks. I was thinking it was to stop any “cooking” as quickly as possible, by chilling it.

I sometimes buy canned “fire roasted” tomatoes for a serious eats taco recipe, and wondered if I might do some sort of blistering of fresh tomatoes on my gas stovetop. I figure it might stay hot enough to cook longer than the booking water dip+ice bath.

Ice bath is used in formal French cooking text books, to stop the cooking of tomatoes for “raw” dishes, especailly salad. Another method I saw on tv that chefs used, toss the tomato under a gas burner for a few seconds, skin should burst and could be peeled easily.

Personally I don’t mind tomatoes skins, unless doing really a fine dish… Call me lazy, but skin has so much vitamins… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

With the record heat in Paris (42ºC/ 108º), we had 2 few meals out and a garden aperitif party with friends with cold dishes.

At times, I wonder if Mr. n is really a French, he seems to miss mostly Italian food after the trip (well, and some French cheese). So pizza night for him on Wednesday.

Tomato sauce, stracciatella, parma ham, arugula, cherry tomatoes, 24-month old parmesan

Mine was very big: tomato sauce, fior di latte, ricotta, champignion, arugula, 24-month parmesan, ham with truffle

Cocktail Jimmy 2 fois: gin, abricot cream, lime and ginger beer - quite refreshing

Yes, the place has a house dog!

Thursday was a small aperitif originally with drinks and small cold snacks… (forgot the photos) I made some Vietnamese spring rolls Gỏi cuốn with shrimp, lettuces, vermicelles, bean sprouts… also with some cold melon with parme ham. Friends brought some dried pork sausages, olives. Drank with lots of cold pastis and anisette. Was a great night, except neighbours got a bit too drank to be able to make their luggage for their 2-week vacation the next day, they woke up at 5am…and able to make it to the train station for their 9am train…

Yesterday was a ramen night… something that we didn’t have time to have a good bowl in Hong Kong.

Sea bream carpaccio

Sardine ramen with tamago, oil marinated tuna, tartare of fish, tomato confit and a great soup

Sardine ramen too, but with a stronger sardine taste and miso soup base.

The place tried to recreate the atmosphere of Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo.

14 Likes