What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

I spotted that the carton is labelled “dairy free”. Surely sorbet is always dairy free.

1 Like

Curious to hear why this recipe didn’t work for you - it sounds delicious.

@paryzer Yet another awesome dish from the woman behind the curtain, Mrs P. How did she cook the shrimp?

1 Like

Day 3 of Leftover Salmon (isn’t that a band?). Smothered whole wheat spaghetti in garlic scape pesto and dabbed with ricotta cheese that somehow survived in our fridge while we were away. Added some chickpeas and topped with reheated salmon (so broke every rule of mixing seafood and cheese). Side of sautéed broccoli rabe with lots of garlic and lemon.

Took a bizarre extreme close-up because the salmon unfortunately released some albumin when I reheated so a birds eye view shot was even more unattractive.

We’ll take a break from salmon for a while (although we’re heading to Vancouver Island next month, where I’m sure the 3 of us will hit the salmon hard again…responsibly, of course).

7 Likes

Of course. But there are those who will think sorbet is sherbet, which does include dairy. So for those who don’t know the difference, the marketers hold their hand and spell it out for them. :wink:

1 Like

Ahh. It’s that damned transatlantic difference between American English and English English again. You say tomato and I say tomato. :relaxed:

Over here, sherbet is something very different - a fizzy powder as a kids sweet/candy. The “sherbet dab” was a favourite when I was a child. The basic mechanics were that you got a packet of a sweet fizzy powder and liqourice. My recollection is that the liqourice was always a holed out piece, effectively a straw. You dip it in the sherbet and suck. When you’ve had enough of that, you moisten the end of the stick and dip it in, nibbling away at what is now sweet, fizzy liqourice.

1 Like

Just merchandising. Same as labeling broccoli as cholesterol free. Guess it helps some. people.

1 Like

very creative . beautifully presented.
The must have created a lovely environment home for you
Wish you were closer

1 Like

It does! Too much turmeric maybe? We also used minced ginger, maybe that was a fatal error.

I will note that the book photograph is definitely not the recipe made as written. There’s no tomato paste clinging to any of those beans.

1 Like

I found these saturn nectarines for the first time in my farmers market last week. I only saw the peaches before. Bought 3 to try but husband ate them all so they must have been good!

2 Likes

Work is ultimate chaos right now so dinner has been as fast as physically possible typically paired with trying to convince someone on the phone that it really isn’t as bad as it seems…

BUT. It is summer so fast dinners are actually possible. Lots of corn, sliced tomato salads, cucumber in a variety of ways, grilled eggplant and a grilled protein.

I head to Mexico City next week and I CANNOT WAIT!!! :grin::avocado::taco::cake::champagne::wine_glass::cocktail::tropical_drink::beer::beers::clinking_glasses::tumbler_glass::champagne::wine_glass::cocktail::tropical_drink::beer::beers::clinking_glasses::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco:

9 Likes

So jealous. Vacay or work?

VACATION. ALONE. Sort of, just my sister in law and I but no husbands, boyfriends, kids, dogs or oppressive heat! Can you tell how jazzed I am???

9 Likes

Thanks @digga! Mrs. P lightly sprays the shrimp with olive oil and then coats it in a Cajun dry rub. She then blackens it on a very high heat in a sort of panini press/grill and pushes down on the cover to get a nice sear on both ends (and to avoid having to turn it over).

1 Like

Thank you @ccj :blush: Yes, Mrs. P is very creative and artistic.
I wish we lived closer to you as well. You have the most beautiful property and garden. We could certainly help you with your excess vegetable problem :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

aha! Alas, the difference in age!! I am 77. I am a collector. Early on, we collected stained glass, then found crystals that were incorporated in the house , then later on sculptures, so we. had a sculpture garden. Now widowed and retired, I still have passion for collecting although bot to the extent we did as money is an issue. I started to collect recently American Brilliant for cheese and butter, as I do nto like to have any thing on my countertop. Am searching daily for a cut to clear either ruby red or blue crystal cake as I found out from the secretary of ABC that no cake dome was made during that period. ( 1800-1917) http://www.cutglass.org/AboutCutGlass.htm
So found 2 cut to clear but sld one in 2017 and one in 2012. Perhaps the Bosnian war had made it impossible to find one.
I think perhaps Mrs. P with her talent and love for artistic things may want to collect them as well. I baked mini loaf bread yesterday as they ar elarge enough for my largest cheese cake and dome and keep them there. Also like to keep my dips in crystals as well when I am done with it. Thought she may like that as well.

4 Likes

That sounds like heaven. You’ve got to watch the taco series on Netflix before you go. Also the “reality” series Made in Mexico about the glitterati of Mexico City

1 Like

I will look these up!!! thanks!

after baking 12mini loaves of zucchini and squash bread yesterday, I made use of the opportunity when the cuisinart was out of the cupboard, so I defrosted 14 ounces of duck breast strips ( from maple duck farm) grind them and also two cups of coleslaw left over from Saturday’s smoke pork Carolina style, 1.5 pound of small shrimp, added sesame oil, soy sauce, five spice powder, garlic, ginger powder , sweet potato starch , some chives and spring onions and made them into dumplings. Very tired by then, so even if my ancestors would turn over from their graves, I just made them like Italian ravioli, crimp them with a knife, and open face siomai. Had some for dinner, steamed ,with home made soy sauce, garlic, lime juice, and hot pepper as dip. tasty but ugly looking. These were frozen on a tray individually so as not to stick , ready to be thrown in freezer container today.

TxVjohyXQTKyjPMA5J7W3Q|525x700 These were individually frozen to be bagged and tossed into freezer.

10 Likes

MIxed salad to start. Mac, cheese, courgettes & bacon to follow (one of our longterm regular dinners). Strawberries to finish.

2 Likes