What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Breakfast for dinner. Soft scrambled eggs with scallions, green chilli, and lots of black pepper. And a rasher of bacon… the rest has been portioned and is now in the freezer, where it will require more effort :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve never seen or considered eggs so flavored. Thanks for opening a new door.

Short on time!

I think you can see the ingredients.

Tomatoes, green onion, chiles go in one bowl, peppercorns, mustard seed, ginger, garlic, tumeric, cumin, paprika in another. Heat olive oil until “almost” smoking (that sort of instruction makes me a little crazy), add spices and stir “vigorously” for 2-3 minutes, then pour over onions and tomatoes.

Bring vinegars, salt, and sugar to a boil and pour over.

Stir, and cool to room temp.

I used Fresno chiles, cherry tomatoes ( Principe Borghese and Maglia Rosa), sliced in half but didn’t peel.
Hope to add a few raw tomatoes as they ripen, but that might not be a good idea.

You’re welcome!

You might enjoy Bhurji - Indian scrambled eggs with onion, green chilli, tomatoes, and cilantro. Also good with tofu or paneer instead of eggs.

3 Likes

Yes, I can see the ingredients, just needed the instructions. Now if my tomatoes will just get ripe I’m all set. Thanks

Not so humble brag! Sort of like the book cover!

11 Likes

Pork chops tonight. We’ve bought a load of meal online from a butcher in the next but one county. The pork is free range from a single farm. Lamb & beef have similar high welfare standards and are single sourced.

That calls for a simple preparation, so they’ll just go under the grill. Spuds as yet to be decided. Peas to pod (probably my first ever job in the kitchen, helping Mum). Apple sauce.

Cheese for afters. We have a load of cheese, all of it just bog standard supermarket stuff. But it was a bulk bargain. It’d been prepped to sell as a platter and either hadnt been collected or something, so they’d knocked 50% off the price. Eight cheeses, crackers, grapes and chutney. We frozen a couple of the hard cheeses (cheddar & Red Leicester)which won’t do them to much harm. But for eating now, there’s a goat cheese, brie, Wensleydale with cranberry, a smoked German one and a couple of others. So, we’ve got roughly 1kg of cheese and the other bits and bobs all for ten quid. Bargain urban foraging!

6 Likes

Trying to get back in the swing of things after being away since July 3. We tend to not get enough greens and veggies while we’re away from home although I do try to cook up a big pot of beans and greens when we have kitchens at our rentals.

Our first day back home on Monday was takeout Mexican corn pizza from a local joint called Otto. Tuesday night was grilled Wild Coho Salmon accompanied by sautéed bok choy / chili crisp and sautéed broccoli rabe / garlic / lemon and bean-ful brown / forbidden rice mix. No photo.

Last night was more slow-and-low oven roasted salmon (it was on ridiculous sale at Whole Foods) atop Serious Eats marinated kale salad with some nutritional yeast sprinkled on for good measure. It was good. Especially with ice-cold vinho verde.

10 Likes

it is worthy of picture book cover
My son is away but prior to leaving, he packed up some tomatoes and shipped it to a friend in NY who is sick
Friends love these tomatoes. I have one friend traveling from Md to Colorado in their motor home, with a trailer for daughter’s car who just graduated from engineering and has her first job in Colorado. They are staying over for a week, then driving home visiting various places. I gave her a bunch of tomatoes in varying stages of ripeness. She told me that they were great with burgers, BLT as well as turkey sandwiches. Another friend just came yesterday to harvest my beans that were on top of the pool as it is too high for me. She has tomatoes but prefers ours. She thinks that being the first year my son is planting vegetables and herbs, it is quite a success esp the cherry tomatoes that she pops in her mouth as she harvest them. I think we have 8 tomato plants and 6 cherry tomato plants. The small watermelons were a disappointment but the ambrosia melons are very sweet. I gave them one of each but kept the shishito peppers as those are one of our favorites, to be blistered with EVOO and a shake of salt and perhaps lemon or lime. She also harvested some peppers that she told me not to let my son be aware of as they are still green. She thinks they are red pepper. I cannot eat all those tomatoes but have been freezing them after I take off the center stem part to be used for tomato sauce when the weather is cooler.

7 Likes

I would be happy to, though I must admit, it is not really a recipe. I just do it off the top of my head. The basics:

Start with a bag of frozen baby Brussels Sprouts and microwave them in-bag for one minute less than the directions say. I then let them rest for about a half hour. Slice bacon into small strips (4-5 slices usually gets the job done, but you can adjust to your liking). Cook the bacon strips in a tablespoon of olive oil. Right before the bacon gets crisp, add in the Brussels Sprouts, salt, and pepper. Cook until the sprouts start to brown. Sprinkle on brown sugar. Again, I don’t have an exact measurement, but I would guesstimate about a half cup. Cook for a couple of minutes until the brown sugar gets pasty, then pour on some bourbon (probably the equivalent of two tablespoons), take one shot for yourself :grinning:, and cook until it starts to caramelize and get syrupy.

Side note: this dish works well when prepared ahead of time, though I would not recommend doing the brown-sugar and bourbon aspect until you are ready to serve.

This has been present at many Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. It has everything you could want: sweet/salty, crunchy/soft, smoky/savory.

Ham as a variation instead of bacon works well but you will need more oil in the pan (or some butter).

Enjoy!

6 Likes

I am green with envy, just like my tomatoes. I do have ripe Golden Gems but not enough for the recipe.

1 Like

gorgeous! looks delicious.

Wow! Brussels candy. Thanks for the recipe. I especially approve of the bourbon for the cook.

1 Like

FWIW, I halved the recipe when I made it.

Take a pic if you make it and let me know how it goes!

1 Like

I grilled baby eggplant and made a curry using TJ’s masala sauce, tofu (for the toddler), and squashes from the garden. We made Meera Sodha’s recipe for green beans (using long beans) with ginger, black mustard seed, turmeric, sesame seeds, and tomato paste as the side - not a fan. TJ’s parathas as the carb (yum but calorific). Served with FIL’s tomato chutney as garnish.

9 Likes

Figured I might as well use the oven on the coolest day of the summer when it’s only 73°. Because the next 3 days are going to be a bitch with potentially 100°+ degree temps.

Pizza was dinner. TJs pizza dough, roasted asparagus, leftover chopped roast chicken, President garlic and herb cheese augmented with dried herbs and thinned with heavy cream and white wine. Topped with grated mozzarella and Parm-Reg cheese. Sprinkled some chopped fresh basil on top after it was done.

Oh yeah. Wine. Today was a shit show. I deserved it. And there will be the rest of the Talenti mango sorbetto. Which is da bomb.

ahisdZYnBp

10 Likes

Grilled endive, sauce gribiche…woohoo, one of my favorite dishes.

Garlicky brown butter shrimp spaghetti.

11 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious side dish (to go with our remaining Chengdu 1 leftovers) of blackened shrimp with a Cajun dry rub, radishes, and smashed avocado with salt, pepper, and garlic :yum:

9 Likes

:neutral_face:

1 Like