What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

I love this article! But the best line was this: “Pies are always fully encased in pastry, none of this slop with a crust only on top. They can be meat and potato or steak. If you’re vegetarian you can have a chicken pie, I suppose.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

thanks. will do as soon as I can get myself together.
Driving to and from home to ophthalmologist took 2-3 hours one way and had to do it twice plus immediate post op visits and in between.
That as well as my son wanting to have new surgery for back problem, not yet approved and traveling to Germany to see surgeon as well as to different surgeons in US was taking lots of my time. No surgery as yet. BCBS will not pay for it, still arg ing with them.

I did not know there is a special 'gardening thread for 2019"
Will try to look for it

Our local one is called “Lord of the Pies”. I lurve puns

3 Likes

I will post some of my harvest in a short while

1 Like

Hi ccj, the vegetables garden link is here if you need it.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2019 veggie gardens

I scanned some of your meals quickly, and very glad to hear from @ccj.

Flew from Hong Kong to Korea since Tuesday, dinner was at the Gwangjang market tonight, we tried 2 different stalls.

First stall was pork feet

Dumplings with kimchi and green vegetables

Assortment of sausages, including blood sausages

The second stand was pancakes

The two Koreans sat next to us were quite funny, kept pouring us Makgeolli and talked to us about everything politics, travel, etc. Not 100% sure what they said but it was fun as they tried to teach us to drink alcohol in Korean style, and another pair of Korean arrived saying soju was much better than with 17% alcohol than the makgeolli which is 6%. Mr n was served all the time, very hospitalic ppl and loves alcohol. But I am afraid the wife of one of the Koreans won’t be happy that he was so drunk :dizzy_face: .

16 Likes

Early dinner. These are from the bakery where we became friends with the owners last year. The middle one is a cracker-like crust stuffed with ground beef, not sure what it’s called. The bottom one is often called a Chinese hamburger, I’m going to say it is Sichuan in origin. The top one is a meat pie. We’re actually leaving for Ningxia tomorrow to attend the bakery owner’s son’s wedding. Should be interesting.

Late dinner: Cold veggies, green beans and eggplant. Also, grilled lamb meat and fat.

12 Likes

That’s the difference between being a traveler and a tourist! It’s wonderful that you’ve been able to meet people and connect in that way. So many folks don’t have a chance to take the time and interact one on one when visiting other areas. The wedding should be quite interesting.

8 Likes

I love muslim food in China. Your “burger” looks so much better than mine flying from PEK to CTU (Chengdu). Basically just the bun and a few slices of meat.

2 Likes

Your salad inspired my lunch today - tuna and cannelini bean with kale and scallions in a mustardy ramp, rosemary, and thyme vinaigrette.

3 Likes

yes! The Proverbial Shit-Ton of Butter! aka TPSTOB™!
come on everybody, get with the program!
:smiley:

7 Likes

omg so much amazing food! keep it coming!

The UK’s Vegetarian Society held its first meeting in Manchester in 1848. It still has its headquarters in the metro area - albeit in the leafy suburb of Altrincham, just down the road from me, not the pie eaters’ paradise of Wigan. But I bet if you ask most northwesterners about vegetarianism, you’ll get a quizzical look which asks " But wouldnt that mean not having a bacon butty?".

4 Likes

What fun!

Does your whole family speak mandarin? That would certainly make things easier! I was laughing at your earlier comment about your 8yo’s teacher’s comment re Beijing accent.

Those skewers :heart_eyes:

1 Like

thanks

My elderly neighbor has moved to a beautiful assisted living community. I miss having her nearby but this is the right place for her to be. I visited for the first time this afternoon. Knowing her massive sweet tooth moved with her I made chocolate chip cookies.

She gave me the grand tour and we settled back in her apartment to chat and enjoy a cup of tea and a few cookies. We couldn’t stop eating them! So I think that’s what my dinner for the day is.

14 Likes

Mrs. P made blackened shrimp salad with a Cajun dry rub. This is very similar to yesterday’s blackened tilapia salad except it has sautéed red onions, and the tomatoes and blue corn tortilla chips weren’t added.

12 Likes

I was in easy-peasy sandwich mode, so after getting out of work at 3pm and running errands, dinner was a lemon-pepper chickie-boobie purchased at my local butcher.

Grilled and finished in the oven, sliced and served on a toasted potato bun with extra-thin slices of Swiss cheese, my lettuce and a healthy schmear of my honey-mustard.

Wine since 5 o’clock.

11 Likes