What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

I’d always skin tomatoes if I’m cooking with them.

I have been skinning tomatoes when the recipe calls for it, because I don’t like those little skin cigars, but it might depend on how tough your tomato skins are. I sure would like to find a way that uses less water to peel tomatoes then the x on the bottom and drop in water , then in ice water technique.

Linda, too lazy to take food processor out of the cupboard. I do have 2 grinders, one is dedicated to grinding peppers for cooking ( so have to wash that out) and one is the krups electric grinder but that is dedicated for spices. Just plain lazy. Bullshit weather report states tempe is 84 degrees. Past few days sen hit 108. Well, I almost passed out in the garden. Lucky to crawl back home. I run into the shower, and unbelievable because the water that came out of the spout was hot!

My 2 poms were smarter. They usually follow me everywhere, like my shadow but today, they just sat on the covered porch!

I guess I will take advise of bcc, omit the sugar if I find energy to cook ( 3 hours in the oven gosh!!!) as the tomatoes were very sweet so far.

2 Likes

My “so easy I don’t notice it” method for peeling tomatoes: Boil water. Drop whole tomatoes in boiling water. Count to 15. Drain tomatoes into sink.
Peel slips off like magic. Core or not, but that was not the question. The skin is OFF now.

4 Likes

2 burgers on the new/old grill with home cut fries

I did something on a whim with the cut potatoes. I oiled them then dusted them with potato starch before tossing in the oven.

I liked the results. Crisp yet dry on the surface. Picked up bbq sauce well

5 Likes

Mrs. P made her famous spicy smoky Andouille sausage pizza that we enjoyed al fresco on the deck on a beautiful day. It went great with a 2014 Esser Cabernet, a nice every day wine.

15 Likes

Left work on time after a baby “shower” for a coworker. Had dessert first with the shower cake.

Dinner was a half pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil and Penzeys Tsardust seasoning blend, grilled on the grill pan and finished in the oven.

Sides were roasted Herbs de Provence and Paprika baby red and purple potatoes, and carrots and peas.

Oh yeah. Wine at work after the baby shower and wine at home. :grin:

20190726_154338

12 Likes

OMG…sounds like the wine was real good!!!

1 Like

No pictures…
Vegetable fried rice, with peas, corn, bamboo shoots, scallions, mushrooms, green beans, short ribs of beef…

4 Likes

We had a playdate with new neighbors - I made my famous rosemary white bean dip served up with pita chips. Also put out cantaloupe cubes, watermelon wedges, pretzels, and seasoned sliced garden cukes. Rosé and sauv blanc to drink - and they brought a natural wine. I like them already! I also baked up a frozen pizza to tame kiddie hanger.

No pics, but it was fun!

6 Likes

Which wine did the “little ones” prefer?.. Rose or Savion Blanc? (LOL)

1 Like

You buried the lead (short ribs) :grinning:

1 Like

Last time I made baked sweet potato fries I did this and they were so crispy!

1 Like

Well, I ended up making a quesadilla with leftover asada and veg

13 Likes

I serve on a museum board and our newsletter editor told me my presence was required for a photo shoot and some layout work tonight. At least he provided nourishment for when the job was done…

9 Likes

Yes I did…But the short ribs were cut up and put into the rice… as I was eating the rice…:yum:

2 Likes

Nice . Its Rose’ weather here .

1 Like

Give 15 minutes…I’ll be over…

1 Like

Chorizo, egg & tomato tacos, with avocado, cotija, onions, cilantro and jalapeno. Found fresh chorizo for a change, chunkier than the usual supermarket stuff. really good. Farmers market Marvel Stripe tomato in this, and my bfast sammie this morning, using a far more flavorful Early Girl tomato.

tomato%20sandwich

12 Likes

OMG! looks over the top!

1 Like