What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

My neighbours have been taking care of them day and night (from our security camera, although the aim was not to spy them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), plants were healthy. They have been growing indoors until end of May, maybe they are mostly ancient varieties, grow slower…

1 Like

Back home yesterday! So much hotter in Europe than in Asia, crazy. Got some cheese and bread, gazpacho and carpaccio with pesto as dinner.

We have succeed in smuggling so many forbidden food in our luggages! Especially dried meat, we got pork jerkies, packs of them, XO sauces with ham and American ginseng too. Was a bit worry since we need to transit in London… Luckily the French customs are more interested in taxing newly purchased computers and phones than food. (Actually they are interested in food, I once saw an African traveller in tears, because her luggages full of fresh fish and meat would have to be destroyed.)

6 Likes

Man that is a beautiful looking bowl! YUM!

1 Like

With power out for a lot of people last night, we invited an older friend without power for 20 hours to join us for Indian food and air conditioning. Ironically, it was the exact same meal we had when he last joined us for dinner, since we did not think to have him over until yesterday afternoon. I stopped by the Indian market for some pakora and then sweet chutney and bhel mix to make bhel puri. Those were the appetizers. Meal was butter chicken, basmati rice, curried cauliflower. For dessert, we just happened to have a peach cobbler lying around. :shushing_face: He brought the wine, and much of it.

Now tonight, we shall switch things up totally with a simple roast beef and Swiss panini. :rofl:

6 Likes

Panini with roast beef, Swiss cheese, and spinach. Side of couscous salad with spinach, chick peas, red onion, and a balsamic dressing (I’ve gone a little crazy with the air fryer lately and have temporarily reached my fries/chips limit) . The press I use is actually a bacon press I picked up at a thrift shop a few years ago for $1 and I have never once used it for bacon.

17 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious creamy fresh sweet NJ corn pasta with fresh homegrown basil. She used farfalle pasta, scallions, red pepper flakes, butter, sea salt, black pepper, olive oil, and was topped with fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano. The awesome creamy sauce was made with pureed fresh sweet NJ corn, butter, parmesan, sautéed scallions, and red pepper flakes to give it a nice kick and compliment the sweet corn.

15 Likes

And eggshells for sweetness

1 Like

Wow, that looks amazing.

1 Like

Great summer food!

1 Like

Our vegetarian neighbor joined us for casual tacos tonight. For her I made grilled spiced sweet potatoes, red peppers, onions, and a black bean burger to fold into tortillas. We omnis had carne asada a la Netflix’s “Taco Chronicles”(skirt steak marinated in oo, garlic, cinnamon, orange and lime juices, onions, adobo, and plenty of salt and pepper, grilled). Sides of quinoa salad, seasoned black beans, and tons of taco fixins. Peach old fashioneds beforehand to whet the appetite.

16 Likes

Those tacos look awesome.

2 Likes

Thanks! Pardon the temporary image-upload issues.

2 Likes

Brb trying to move and be your neighbor! Delicious!

2 Likes

Love it . Same inspiration tonight.

1 Like

Made chicken biriyani tonight. Not the more complex Hyderabadi style but a simpler 2 layer one with marinated chicken on the bottom and rice above that.

I went with a blend of whole spices (green and black cardamom, clove, cinnamon, bay leaf) and a more complex store bought garam masala featuring 13 spices vs 5-6.

14 Likes

Saving this.

Relevant, and 104 F today where I live in California .

Grilled chicken tacos .Sides . Wine to drink.Cheers

15 Likes

Just reading now, @paryzer Eli. And I can certainly say that if I were ever in central NJ, I sure as hell would NOT be eating at Semolina. You’ve been nothing but professional in your dealings with Chuck. Chuck, however, was much less than professional.

2 Likes

Thank you, Linda! After my initial outburst, I tried to stay as professional as possible.

2 Likes

My Weber has seen it last day. The front legs rotted down and they were supported on two paving bricks. The bottom fell out but a large aluminum pan sat underneath it. It was in sad shape but the burners were still working. It’s better days had long passed. Looked at new Weber’s but the $800+ for a basic genesis II non stainless keep holding me back.

I had been holding out for a TEC. I had seen them in action but could not see spending that kinda dough on a new one so had my eye out for a used one but none to be found while the Weber continued to decompose. I put feelers out on FB market place and finally got two hits. One down in West Palm for $700 and one in Sarasota for $500. The one in WP looked a bit cleaner but hit Sarasota when I got my first chance to get down there to at least check it out. The day I was going to drive down there my wife came down with a bad case of shingles. As another 2 weeks went by the guy in Sarasota dropped to $450 and while the one in West Palm May have been a bit cleaner I was very glad not to have that monster of a grill hanging out of the back of my wife’s SUV all strapped down for a 5 + hour drive across Alligator Alley and up 75 back home

3 Likes