What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Looks delicious

1 Like

Very nice

1 Like

Monday dinner - a brown gloop day.

Leftover bean curry (home made) & lamb bhuna (home delivery). Homemade banana chutney (haha, earlier in the year, I found something new to do with some of those bananas that alwasy seem to end up in the freezer - although herself’s banana & walnut bread is also pretty damn good). Supermarket naan as the carb

4 Likes

It was a L-A-Z-Y D-A-Y. Because it was too damn hot.

I read, watched You Tube videos, and cooked freezer meals for my sister and BIL, part of which was my dinner tonight, despite it NOT being weather appropriate.

Pork, Sweet Potato, and Apple Cider Stew, served on top of pappardelle, with steamed broccoli alongside. As well as wine.

And I have off the next two days, so I get to sleep in tomorrow. :heart:

13 Likes

Birthday was Friday. Smoked ribs , and chicken. Grilled tri tip . Pasta salad , coleslaw, green salad. Plenty of wine . Saturday was the yearly deep pit barbecue at the herfered ranch for volunteer and fulltime firefighters. Prime rib eye , so buttery, beans , coleslaw, green salad, garlic bread , dessert cookie . Xxxslnnt. That same night headed over to the garden tap . Set in a nursery. So gorgeous . Wood fired pizza , salad , and beer . What a great birthday weekend.

19 Likes

We finally made the one hour drive to Semolina, in Red Bank, NJ, which is highly rated by my fellow HOs, in Central Jersey. Unfortunately this will be our first and last visit there. While the food was excellent, the condescending server from hell, who rushed us like she had explosive diarrhea, ruined the whole dining experience. Below is a link to my rant with pictures

2 Likes

Happy belated birthday :wine_glass::birthday: It looks like you really celebrated in style :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Am sincerely sorry about this. Totally unacceptable but worse, so unnecessary!

Peaches with roquefort, balsamic and black pepper

Hot link with hash brown skin-ons, grilled cauliflower and purslane salad

10 Likes

Thanks @pilgrim! I’m sorry for the rant. I’m usually very mild mannered, but it was so frustrating having to drive one hour and be rushed in an empty restaurant at the ungodly hour of 4PM. I felt worse for Mrs. P who was fuming during the whole meal and barely said 2 words. She was upset with me for leaving a 20% tip, and wanted to take money off the table. I tried to take things in stride while we were there but became more upset during the drive home. It’s a shame because the food was excellent but was ruined by the server from hell. I’m sure it would have been a much better dining experience with a different server.

5 Likes

Nice - looks like you had a wonderful birthday!

1 Like

Your experience might be fodder for a separate thread. If your experience was totally the fault of a sing;e server, there is indeed a question of tip. Of additional discourse with management. And of course participation in local restaurant review sites.

If as you describe, it is totally inexplicable. Certainly not justifiable.

3 Likes

What a fantastic lineup for your birthday festivities! Wishing you many more - years and great meals! :clinking_glasses::gift::cake:

1 Like

Do you live in a peach growing area? The ones you have been sharing photos of look so good. These days I’m happy if I can eat one perfect peach each summer. They are rather elusive in my area inspite of being one state over from prime peach country.

1 Like

That was unfortunate. As often as you and Mrs. P dine out I think this is the first time you’ve mentioned having a disapointing evening. Which is pretty good odds when you think about it! May the next dinner be perfect!

3 Likes

We live in Northern California. Yes, good peach orchards both in the Central Valley and in the Brentwood area. Most of the peaches we’ve bought this season have been good. I am still looking for O’Henry variety, which in past seasons have been sublime. We’ll see this year, if in fact I haven’t already missed them.

4 Likes

Spanakopita and tomato soup - tired and uninspired. We had massive tacos out for lunch so weren’t very hungry.

8 Likes

My west facing kitchen has been an oven lately. I’ve just been eating a lot of sandwiches. Took a break from that tonight with rotissary chicken and a blackbean salad that included fresh corn and avocado. Broke down the chicken as soon as I brought it home. Stock is going in the crockpot. It will become tomato pesto soup to use up tomatoes which are going soft too fast these days. Extra chicken will become chicken salad served over lettuce for dinners. Need to get some vegetables into my meals again!

5 Likes

happy birthday . well deserved !

3 Likes

It has been like an oven as soon as I open my doors to let poms out but they refuse to go out. I do not blame them with their furs, it is like wearing a mink coat in summer! I have to literally carry them out! Suffering from (?) contact dermatitis , perhaps tomato plants despite wearing gloves. Perhaps it was bec I did not wear gloves to process the ripe ones, scooping the center out and making an X before freezing them. Thank goodness, my house is cool ( even had to wear a robe) with geothermal unit as 2 of my friends have their AC failed. I am going out to water the plants despite sprinkler system and probably go to local grocery store to buy some turkey breast to eat with mayo and tomatoes, and make chicken fruit salad as it is too hot to cook. When I went out to water the plants right outside my porch for 30 minutes, I was soaking wet. Had to drink coconut water to replace my electrolytes.

3 Likes