What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Ty!

Someone I know has shared something similar. Yikes.

Good visit with Mom today, the day after her 89th birthday. But it was hotter than Hades out there, so errand-running after my visit wasn’t pleasant.

But it all got done. Dinner was already planned to be a cool one, even though there was some stove top cooking to get me there.

Lemon-Tarragon Chicken Salad on top of mixed lettuces, Ditalini Pasta Salad with fresh corn, peas, red bell pepper and basil with a champagne vinaigrette, and deviled eggs with Aleppo pepper and chives.

Libation was three (THREE!) vodka, lemonade and ginger beer drinks. Gotta keep hydrated, right? :wink:

The movie will be “Aquaman”. That’ll be nice and chill.

14 Likes

After a long, hot but FUN day checking out the Apollo 11 festivities at Draper Lab and JFK Library, spring onion had leftover pizza from Area 4 (a very good pizza joint in Cambridge). I managed to put together a rice noodle salad, dressed with lots of fish sauce, lime juice, touch of brown sugar, shaved carrot, lightly pickled cukes, mint, Thai basil, and cilantro. Protein was mashed up tofu and a veggie burger from the freezer which were sautéed with garlic. Hit the spot! B finished off some leftover spaghetti and garlic scape pesto, and (yes, you guessed it) salmon. He’ll have the rice noodles tomorrow.

8 Likes

wish I had you for a daughter!

9 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Laurel and Sage. Besides the usually awesome beet salad and soft shell crabs we had a very refreshing heirloom tomato panzanella salad with ripe peaches. The croutons had a nice parmesan flavor. I had melt in your mouth medium rare grilled wagyu filet medallions with bordelaise sauce, that had a nice char to it. The steak came with heirloom tomato salad, but since we already ordered that for an appetizer, the chef made me a nice flight of purees (sweet potato, sunchoke, and regular potato) with steamed spinach.
The steak went great with Cooper and Thief red blend aged in bourbon barrels for three months.

10 Likes

“Hungarian chicken” with wide noodles and blistered sprouts.

10 Likes

Dinner was kind of a fail. I put a homemade mustardy balsamic dressing, thyme, and maple syrup on wild salmon fillets and broiled. In retrospect they would have been better with just salt and pepper and grilled or cedar-planked. Sides were brown rice cooked in leftover green bean braising liquid with bacon, and zuke noodles. Very underwhelmed.

MEH

7 Likes

Looks good!

Realize that our “mehs” might be wowzers to normal people.

2 Likes

Grilled chicken

9 Likes

Mazel Tov to your Mom on her 89th…I said Mazel Tov to my mom for her 89th on Wednesday!
I guess we are real lucky!
PS…been too damn hot to cook here after returning from Florida yesterday!

1 Like

Happy birthday to your Mom as well! Yes, we are very lucky to have our Moms still with us.

4 Likes

Had some of my wife’s work friends over for dinner. I did seared scallops and shrimp with a corn and mini pepper medley and salad

No pics but copious amounts of unique bourbons, ryes and rums before dinner and Armagnacs after dinner with my wife’s chocolate torte

Sipping a Foursquare 2007 before bed wondering how they make such a delicious rum with no additives. I bow to such dedication

8 Likes

I’m going need a minute.

3 Likes

With all of the libations, who needs food? Sounds like a delicious summer meal, quick and full of color!

1 Like

I reckon you are. Both of my parents died when I was in my twenties.

3 Likes

Didn’t drink them all but pulled about a grand assortment of selected bottles from our barrel selections and off the shelf products to try. You know the kid in the candy store experience

5 Likes

Oh my! Lucky guests.

3 Likes

Puff pastry par-baked with a sprinkle of parmesan, then topped with a bit of pesto and fresh mozzarella before a return trip to the oven. Finished with arugula, lemon juice, pepper, and some crisped up prosciutto.

15 Likes