What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Probably not the best meal for a hot day, but the tummy wants what the tummy wants. And central A/C certainly helps.

Roast chicken, mashed sour cream potatoes, and peas and carrots.

Wine.

14 Likes

We had drinks at the neighbors’ and returned home for a quickie dinner after noshing on cheese, crackers, and olives. TJ’s chicken cilantro wontons and some crappy frozen pork egg rolls from Aldi, plus leftover sliced cukes repurposed as salad.

There was definitely wine.

8 Likes

That chicken is perfection.

3 Likes

I tried those egg rolls a few months ago. Took 1 bite and just pitched them out.

1 Like

Your chicken always looks beautiful. Do you baste frequently? Use a magical rub? Inquiring minds and hungry tummies want to know!

3 Likes

We had our monthly feast at Chengdu 1 Palace, with the PSTOF(ood) and PSTOL(eftovers) :yum: We have enough leftovers for 2 more dinners.
We ordered the always awesome dishes of hot and spicy lobster, hot and spicy jumbo prawns, spicy lamb stir fry, crispy spicy chicken ding, ants climbing a tree, and spicy baby wontons in chili oil. We had them remove the cilantro from the lobster and prawn dishes, since we don’t like cilantro, and had them add extra ginger and spicy crunchy celery. It all went great with a 2013 Bergevin Lane Columbia Valley cabernet. This will probably be my last WFD post this week since we have enough leftovers from this weekend to last us all week. Mrs. P can focus on having her hair highlighted, and nails manicured, and gardening this week :grinning:

15 Likes

Yummmm

1 Like

@paryzer "Mrs. P can focus on having her hair highlighted, and nails manicured, and gardening this week.

I obviously need to read your post more carefully. Mrs. P has more going for her than meets the plate-shot.

1 Like

Mrs P has a charmed life !

2 Likes

I was late in prepping it today. So rather than drying in the fridge for 24 hours, I rinsed and patted the skin dry with lots of paper towels, then seasoned with salt and pepper. I squeezed a bit of lemon juice over top, and the squeezed lemon half and 2 sprigs of rosemary and 3 large sprigs of thyme were tucked into the cavity. Roasted at 450° for 20 minutes, then turned the oven down to 350°, poured in a cup of water into the bottom of the roasting pan, and finished roasting until my Thermapen read 175°, basting once with the liquid in the bottom of the pan (water, fat from the chicken, and the bit of lemon juice). Let it rest for 25 minutes while I made the gravy.

5 Likes

I think it is me that has the charmed life :blush:

5 Likes

you too

This is good and easy.

Berbere rubbed pork tenderloin for husband, tomato sandwich for me.

4 Likes

Almost did a flip when I read your post, " Oh my God! You’re in Chengdu!." We’re planning a trip to Chengdu later. Then I read carefully and saw the ‘1 Palace’. sigh Would’ve been awesome to meet up in Chengdu.

1 Like

Dinner was late, as the cricket overran. I cannot recall a more nail-biting, edge of the seat sporting event - at least not since we watched Manchester City beat Gillingham in the play-off final for promotoion from the 2nd to 1st Division. We were in a bar in Spain and it was 1999.

In the event, the chicken was fine. I’d thought it would be fine as the recipe but it really could have done with something green - beans maybe.

As for tonight, the freezer is our friend. Rag puddings, oven chips, peas.

1 Like

No, unfortunately this is the closest I will ever get to Chengdu :slightly_smiling_face: They do have pretty authentic Sichuan food though. I am enjoying reading about your current trip. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

2 Likes

am on my way to airport in Dulles, so probably short at Costco and stay over for dinner to avoid rush hour traffic
ESP FOR LINDA WHIT!
Here is a list of affordable wine from Costco, your thought?

2 Likes

Our normal supermarket always has a display of discounted wines, all of which are affordable. Mrs H has asuccessful method of selection. She simply looks at the ones that have been most discounted - working on the basis that she is going to get a far better wine paying £6 for an originally priced £8 bottle, rather than £4 for an original £6. With the high level of revenue duty and taxes on booze, it does not not take much additional cost to get a far superior product.

Go there ASAP! At least I wish I could. Already know the places I will be visiting 2 years from now and it’s not Chengdu :mask::drooling_face::disappointed_relieved:

Chengdu was the first ever place in China I went to. Came back 2 more times and still nowhere near scratching the surface. It has a dear place in my heart only because of the food.

Looking at Chengdu food photos now and here goes my mascara again. (I don’t wear mascara but you know what I mean! :sob:)

@paryzer I find it quite amusing that you now have to state a disclaimer in your posts - “Onions, there are leftovers for pete’s sake!”

The wine pairing is interesting. I would not know how to pair red wine to Chinese/Asian food.

1 Like