What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Good tip - I did slice it and he ate one bite this morning (he was starving after not eating much dinner, so I reheated leftovers). I got at least one bite in before he realized what it was, I guess.

Maybe a shrinp cocktail would work. Finger foods + dipping are usually enjoyed by kids!

1 Like

Our best bet is to cover anything in Velveeta :joy:

4 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Some crabs

@jcostiones. When are you coming by?

14 Likes

We had another fabulous dinner at Tillie’s in Short Hills, NJ. We really need to do a HO down here🙂 The food is so good.
Chef Wirt very generously comped us with an awesome dish of cortecce pasta with lobster and cherry tomatoes that burst in your mouth with flavor. I also brought Chef Wirt a bottle of wine to show my appreciation for how he always takes good care of us. The picture below is a split portion. We also split his excellent crispy fried chicken thigh entree with herbed potato salad that had a nice dill flavor. For entrees I had the molasses brined pork chop with cipollini onions and red beans and rice and Mrs. P had her usual spicy shrimp and grits. It all went great with a Zuccardi Concreto Malbec.

10 Likes

It was a really good day. Had a good visit with Mom, and shopping at Trader Joe’s and Wegmans provided dinner.

TJs corn, burrata and basil raviolis with a creamy corn sauce and peppered North Carolina shrimp.

For dessert, fresh figs with chevre, peppered honey and chopped pistachios. I had forgotten the figs at my stop at TJs, so when I finished at Wegmans, I braved the traffic to go back to TJs. It was so worth it.

Yup. There was wine.

13 Likes

Looks fantastic Mr P. Some really visually stunning dishes to match what I’m sure were some great tastes as well. ESP that pasta, what a beautiful dish.

2 Likes

Thanks Mr. Met! Yes, that lobster pasta dish was delicious and wasn’t even on the menu.

slipping into a BLT rut of sorts, third weekend in a row. Tomatoes are still crap here, but the bacon was local from our FM, and my spread was kewpi wasabi mayo/TJs garlic spread. BF’s was regular mayo. Corn may have been the best part of the meal, but just by a hair…

9 Likes

I went to buy fertilizer for my garden today at the local nursery in mt Shasta. Looked over and saw these tables . I thought they were for sale . What’s this ? A garden trattoria. You have to understand what a small town this is . I’m jumping for joy. Wood fired pizza fell a little flat . I’m sure they’ll work it out . Ambiance , salad , beer , and olives . For thirty bucks . Great day .

17 Likes

Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and broccolini.

13 Likes

A change of plan from how I intended to spend the day. My cable package doesnt include live cricket but a deal has been done with the channel which usually only shows the highlights to show the full World Cup final between England and New Zealand. So, I’m going to spendd the next 6 - 7 hours watching what should be an exciting match.

Fortunately, dinner is easy peasy. Chicken thighs baked with tomatoes, olives, garlic, lemon juice and thyme. We’ll have it with rice. A Nigel Slater recipe from Kitchen Diaries 2 .

(Oh, and with only 6 overs gone, we’ve taken the first Kiwi wicket. Very promising. )

5 Likes

woke up 4:30am, boneless butts were split open yesterday, salted just over 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound, brushed this morning with peanut oil on all surfaces, generously sprinkled my memphis rub adapted from Meathead Goldwaith ( Amazing Ribs) , grill on 220 degrees, smoke the butts using Cookin Pellet’s 4 premium hardwood ( hickory, apple, maple and cherry mix served with North Carolina Vinegar sauce/and or Stubbs BBQ sauce, slaw , sliders.

-MEMPHIS DUST

3/4 cup white granulated sugar
3/4 cup demurer sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup ancho Chile powder( my version)
2 tbsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp ginger powder
2 tsp ground rosemary
This was served with North Carolina vinegar sauce and /or Stubbs BBQ spicy sauce.

NORTH CAROLINA VINEGAR SAUCE
1.5 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp or more tabasco
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp demerera sugar
2 tsp crushed red peper
2 packages of pre cooked mashed garlic in EVOO that I keep frozen for emergency purpose. There is around 3 cloves garlic per package.

My son is leaving tomorrow fo Amsterdam and Bulgaria so he requested a party on Saturday for 7 people, smoke pork butt, tomato pie ( 5 kinds of cheese) , corn on the cob. I did not provide dessert.

They cruised to Solomon’s Island, had crab lunch there, then returned home by. 7:30PM. I smoked 3 boneless butts, butterflied them so it only took 10 hours rather than 12-14 hours. They did not return till 7:30PM but had drinks, explored the garden and watched the sunset . I do not eat red meat nowadays bec of allergy so I had my left over Jamaican chicken jerky.

Well, the by 2:00Pm, the meat was 203 degrees, so I packed them in disposable foil container, placed them in a cambrio, covered on all sides with tea towels and it was still warm at 10:00PM when they were hungry enough for dinner!

Since he is leaving tomorrow Monday, he packaged the left over butts for doggy bag for whoever wants it. I will be driving him to Va tomorrow and spend time shipping at Costco and Asian store

15 Likes

That is my kind of meal. So homey and comforting.

2 Likes

Boy, that looks good!

1 Like

Wow! Those boneless butts look amazing. I hope your son appreciates what an amazing mother he has :blush: It’s too bad that you couldn’t enjoy them as well, especially after all of that hard work.

5 Likes

I hope that if I live long enough, I am one of those that the allergy would revert back after 3 years, that is only if I do not eat red meat or get bitten by another lone star tick.
Anyway I am used to these food allergy problems as my husband was diagnosed in 1972 with gluten enteropathy . His was not a mild case, had to be hospitalized twice. Once in Munich ini the 60’s ( they did not know what was wrong) and again in Munich the same time in 1972 when they discharged him from the Krankenhouse saying he had tourista problem. It was only when he passed out while waiting at the curb of the ER for a bus that he was readmitted. Diagnosis confirmed at NIH. At that time, there were no freely available stuff so everything had to be made from scratch, including bread, cakes etc.
I enjoy watching you and Mrs. P ( She is your bride I gather?) all your eating adventure. I wander how you can order so much? Doggie bag I suppose.

4 Likes

There are days nothing goes right, yesterday is a fine example, we had some problem with the first flight Jeju to Seoul, problem was resolved eventually by the airplane company. Later in Seoul, we were slightly late when presenting ourselves before the boarding gate and were denied access to our plane from Seoul to Hong Kong, we had the boarding pass in our hands. The worst was this time airline people offered no assistance to put us on same day flight later in the day. One of the employees even insulted us. Police was called…(they were actually nice, contrary to the employees).

Anyway, as a result, we needed to book ourselves another flight online, of course with another company… we definitely need a comforting meal with our ‘extra night’ in Seoul.

Cold noodles

Rice cakes with dumplings, the broth was very tasty

The restaurant brought me a wrong dish, we told them about it, they accepted to correct it by taking the soup away. I was given a bowl of rice with the first wrong dish. The waiter suddenly came around a few minutes later and took the rice away that I had eaten a bit without saying a word. The Korean couple next to us saw it and laughed at this graceful gesture of the restaurant. I hope they wouldn’t serve the rice to some people…

14 Likes

Wow, you had quite the day yesterday, naf. Let’s hope today more than makes up for it!

4 Likes