What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Intrigued by a WSJ recipe for a cross between pizza and Viet pancake, using rice paper as base.

12 Likes

What’s the verdict? Do you have a link? Looks fun!

You asked, and in fact I do.

I liked it a lot.

7 Likes

It looks really good :+1:

That moment when a chicken breast might satisfy both of us! Bone out :smirk: skin on :laughing: pan roasted harissa chicken breast.

BTW, the hubs will be away a few days, and I’m about to go buck wild…by which I’m mean experimenting…with food.

16 Likes

Egg yolks = Zabaglione!!!

1 Like

You know about recipe sabotage. It happens a lot .

1 Like

We off for the day to the Royal Horticultural Society flower show at Chatsworth (the home of the Duke of Devonshire), so dinner needs to be quick when we get back early evening. I mention the Duke only because the estate also runs one of the finest farm shops in the UK - expensive but well worth a visit if you’re in the Peak District.

Steak for dinner. Butter is melted in a frying pan. A whole head of garlic, cut across the middle goes in, along with sprigs of rosemary. When that’s cooked for a while, sirloin steaks go in (we have Welsh Black beef from the farmers market). They come out to rest and an aubergine, cut into small cubes goes in and cooks until brown and tender. The garlic should be soft enough to squeeze over the steaks. Aubergine will probably need a squeeze of lemon and that’s it. If a carb is needed, there will be bread.

14 Likes

Might start with Pilgrim’s Vietnamese pizza thingy.

1 Like

We also had striped bass last night - it was the first time I ever prepped a whole fish (on sale at our local Whole Foods). B and I have eaten whole fish before out in restaurants. There is something about seeing a creature’s eyes/head that makes one appreciate the life it once had before landing on our table (“hey, I’m just swimming around one day and then >snatched< outta the water!”). We showed the fish to spring onion (who wanted to look at it inside and out) and thanking the fish for its service.

As usual, I forgot to take a photo but did take one while it was roasting in the oven. We were going to grill it, but I was a bit intimidated already and thought I could control the cooking better in the oven, removing at least one variable. Fish was scored on both sides and then over-stuffed with random herbs from our garden (basil, oregano, chives), parsley, cilantro, garlic, lemon rounds. Roasted at 400F for about 25 minutes and came out moist and delicious. Fish was served with dollops of basil-based chimichurri and accompanied by forbidden rice and cast-iron broccolini topped with chili crisp. We made sure to eat every last bit of meat off the bones.

18 Likes

Ooh yum! Thanks for posting!

Mrs. P made smoked salmon pasta using the excellent smoked salmon from Sam’s butcher shop, capers, olives, sautéed red onions, fresh garlic, fresh parsley from our plant, olive oil, and fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano.

15 Likes

Fresh mozerella with EVOO and balsamic.

Garlic sauteed greens.

Lobster ravioli (packaged, bought) in shellfish/butter broth

15 Likes

Hard to top you folks

Tonight i seared a ribeye in clarified butter. Served with a corn relish and toast with anchovies from our trip to San Sebastián

18 Likes

More important than “top” is share ideas for that 7/7, 365 question, “What’s for dinner?” Making it is easy. Coming up with ideas is torture!

1 Like

Coming up with ideas with what’s on hand without going shopping is the real fun

5 Likes

You have a cow in your larder?

Very into dolmas lately as a lunch thing, I actually really like the tinned ones from trader joe’s which are best chilled with a bit of fresh lemon juice. Added a few to my dinner salad which also had the usual cucumbers, olives and sunflower seeds. Side of kombucha and lazy girl tofu.
Whacky lighting in my photo…

11 Likes

Not a cow but ribeyes cut from a sub primal

2 Likes

I’ve wondered how they were. Glad you mentioned this. They will be a nice addition to my hurricane kit!

2 Likes