What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

Tonight went Mediterranean

Lamb loin chops, roasted potatoes, brussels and pita

9 Likes

That’s moqueca! Sounds authentic-ish.

2 Likes

Quickie: breaded rockfish and COTC after eating our weight in salted shell-on peanuts out with drinks.

7 Likes

A couple of simple but tasty dishes. Classic browned Italian sausage tossed with blanched broccoli rabe, garlic, wine and chicken stock and fresh rigatoni. Lots of grated parm finished it off.

We needed to use up overripe avocados and tomatoes, so dinner was sort of a quesadilla/taco hybrid. Pulled pork, refried beans, cheese, salsa and sour cream were layered between two corn tortillas and then fried until crispy on both sides. A little messy to cook and not much to look at, but tasty with quac, sour cream and more salsa on the side.

And, yes, there was wine with both meals!

12 Likes

I have absolutely no idea wfd tonight. We’ve had such a rainy winter and spring that I am very behind on gardening aka keeping the encroaching jungle of weeds at bay. Spent 3 hours in the muggy afternoon working on it. Got a lot done and also discovered that my body is woefully out of shape. Now I’m cleaned up, in pj’s and well dosed with aspirin and Ben Gay. This may end up being a cheese and cracker night. Eggs and Chinese chives if I get motivated. Microwave popcorn if I crash…Nice to have options!

11 Likes

I read “blanching, coring, and peeling tomatoes” in a recipe as “buy a good can of whole tomatoes” :wink:

6 Likes

Had half of the huge golden beet i roasted the other day as my appetizer- it was more vibrant raw, crazy how sweet it is.

And some of the leftovers from my beany farro salad, tomatoes, scallions, yellow bell pepper, black beans, lots of cilantro and some sliced almonds. I just added the fresh stuff ontop of the tupperware with extra farro (omfg seriously there was so much farro there’s a ton in the freezer too!) ate it straight from the tupperware, fewer dirty dishes.

New batch of kombucha a la carte

10 Likes

I’m on a Facebook food board and someone was inquiring about Cincinnati. The referrals were Jeff Ruby’s for steak and Eli’s BBQ for their smoked turkey. They are located close to each other.

1 Like

No desire to cook today.

Doctored chicken ramen with scallions, cilantro, the rest of the lemongrass chicken, thinly-sliced shiitake, and chilli crisp.

11 Likes

it’s been 11 days since my last home-cooked meal, and 4 days before that since I actually cooked. Been working shitloads of overtime because my boss started a trial today, and 9-13 hour days through the weekend have been the norm. Tonight the BF put together dinner, from our Italian deli (finally gone) - their gnocchi and meat sauce. His fab grilled zucchini and a great salad.

there’ll be some more overtime this week, but nowhere near as bad (she said naively), so i’m hoping to be in the kitchen again very soon…

14 Likes

:cry:

2 Likes

Actually blanching, peeling, coring and getting the seeds out of tomatoes is one of my favorite kitchen tasks when our homegrown tomatoes are ready to be made into sauces. That said, when at the stove I’ll grab a can of my own stuff or store canned if I’m out of the other. It is a pita to just do 2-3 tomatoes.

2 Likes

Hope at least you win the trial…the food there was definitely a win!

1 Like

The WFD food board version of “Forgive me, for I have sinned. It’s been 4 weeks since my last confession.” :wink::wink::wink:

8 Likes

I have to wait until Yom Kippur, once a year!

4 Likes

I’ve been looking online - the recommendation seems to be a bean bag which you flop over the side of the vehicle and rest the lens on it. Apparently it soaks up the vibration from the vehicle. I’d already booked a ticket for the zoo before your PM - went this morning and got chatting to a couple of women who were obviously very keen photographers with very expensive kit. Even though their cameras had long lenses, they were hand holding them and reckoned it was fine. Heaven knows how they manage it - I c an barely keep my bridge camera steady.

As for dinner - I see desi Punjabi food in my very near future. A trip into the city to one of our regular places.

4 Likes

Tonight cod with dill onion cream sauce risotto with vinegar napped beetroot.

Last night, grilled mackerel with teriyaki and soy sauce and aperagus, trout roe.

Chicken liver salad with apple and roasted potatoes

13 Likes

I have been on a flour tortilla binge for a few weeks. Once the tortillas are dry pan warmed, I use up the stray veg/fish/steak/chicken leftovers into a filling. Tonight was leftover black sea bass, bok choy, scallions, grilled now off the cob corn, baby portobello mushrooms, red onion, pineapple pieces, avocado and sour cream.

Lazy man lunch and dinner but so tasty.

Rooster

10 Likes

Have been under the weather and miserable, so another comfort meal tonight - carbs on carbs ftw :joy:, potatoes in a simple tomato gravy, served with rice (I mashed it all together right after the pic).

(In my defense, I was about to order chinese takeout when I realized I had the makings of this - ie tomatoes and a potato :smiley:)

16 Likes

Feel better soon!

4 Likes