What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

Sorry - misread your earlier post about using the acronym for anything. I don’t see why it can’t be used for anything!

Except chocolate. There’s never too much chocolate. :wink:

3 Likes

yep - it can be used anyway anyone wants to, we don’t need to limit or codify it!

3 Likes

Yesterday, I had the luxury of making chickpeas from dried. I started soaking around 9 AM, simmered with aromatics around 5 PM and they were ready for dinner by 7 PM.

They went into a big pasta dish with a whole bunch of garlicky broccoli rabe and some leftover broccoli and their stalks (nearly no veggie parts go to waste in this house…I use all stems, wonky parts). That was topped with pan-fried halibut, the skin of which got deliciously crisped in lots of hot olive oil. I crumbled and scattered the crispy skin over our plates. Seriously, they were potato chip-like.

With this much fiber/greens in the main event, we skipped a straight-up salad or veggie side. Good red wine was the only accompaniment.

I always forget to take photos…this is B’s half-eaten plate.

13 Likes

Oh yeah. There’s been wine tonight. Pre-dinner, during prep, and during dinner.

I went simple tonight: asparagus and pappardelle with a lemon-garlic mascarpone sauce.

Did I mention wine? And there will be ice cream.

12 Likes

Well, I heated it up! Husband insisted on bringing home a can of cassoulet.

F=]
FWIW, Reflets de France is a reliable brand for many sorts of regional specialties.

Just emptied it into a baking dish

and added a topping of garlic/parsley scented crumbs

baked at 400F for half an hour

Same as we’ve enjoyed in Castelaudary? Well, maybe a bit short. But fine and well handled Tarbais beans, discernable duck and sausage, good seasonings, and as I remember around €5 for what can suggested a meal for 2. Actually more likely 3+. LUNCH!

And since man doesn’t live by beans alone, sauted greens.

16 Likes

Turkey Italian sausage grilled with peppers, onions, baby bellas. Steamed green beans with butter, lemon pepper, soy, and aged balsamic. Ww rotini with marinara and cheese.

9 Likes

I was (well am still!) kind of Totally Freaking Out over this project i need to pull together by next week… (it’s menswear! Totally foreign to me so there’s a steep learning curve)
Stopped for comfort food bagel yesterday after i found out, everything with tofutti cream cheese, had the other half for dinner with a bunch of raw sugar snap peas

Randomly decided that canned baby corn and those kinda trashy retro delicious crunchy noodles sounded like a good idea, just added to a basic salad with some cucumber and sesame seeds. A few handfuls of crunchy edamame and kombucha on the side.

8 Likes

Fattoush with avocado. Missed the fennel I usually add for crunch instead of cucumber, but this hit the spot nonetheless.

Happy weekend, everyone! Can’t believe it’s June tomorrow…

11 Likes

Never knew a 4 day work week could be so long, for fuck sake! I had a bunch of zucchini in the frig so decided to stuff them (never done this before). Filling was ground turkey seasoned up like Italian sausage, zucchini, onion, garlic, sun dried tomato, red pepper flakes, and a bit of tomato sauce. Topped with some provolone and parm. We both thought they were really good. Wine for a side.

15 Likes

I hope you like it! It’s the sort of dish that has a lot of leaway. With a pound of grind I use a heaping half cup of raisins and a small tin of the basic supermarket sliced black olives (rinsed). I’ve tried better olives but they are wasted in this recipe. You can use canned tomatoes or fresh. When I use fresh I usually have to add some more liquid to the mix. This makes 3 big servings for me.

2 Likes

Tins of cassoulet and confit de canard are handy to have around. I have made cheat’s cassoulet using tinned confit duck legs. The tin is huge. These days I sous vide duck legs all the time and make cassoulet with them.

1 Like

Just a straight up beef stew. Tasty. Served with crusty bread only.

9 Likes

Hahaha, I hope that helped.

4 Likes

It’s a brand belongs to Carrefour, I would say for a supermarket brand, it’s rather good. I usually get La Belle Chaurienne. I have never do a comparison between the 2.

Your cassoulet looked lovely with the crumbs topping, never thought of doing that.

2 Likes

Made something similar, so good. Love the raisins !!! Too bad you can’t find bulgar. I guess you can’t find couscous too. (Well, maybe Amazon carries it?) Canned or fresh tomatoes? I have a preference for canned, richer. But added a few fresh as finishing could be great too.

I have been making stuffed zuke at least since 1979, and use almost the exact recipe, except for the sausage. Back then only hot or sweet Italian sausage was available, so I used the sweet… Non the less it is still a delicious dish, and yours makes my mouth water!

1 Like

Actually that can at 840g it is almost 2 pounds of food, and clearly enough for 3 or 4, if served with a side of greens.
It is available here in the USA from Amazon for $12.88.

1 Like

The last May meals. @shrinkrap 's 6 dozen of oysters made me want some! I got ourselves 2 dozen - Fine de claire and Cancale. I couldn’t really tell the difference in flavours, they were just great!

Some mussels from Cancale, they were smaller than the Dutch ones. Cooked simply with white wine.

Green salad with roe

Pineapple, mango and passion fruit salad

Minced meat, veal wrapped with a sliced of fat, cooked with onion and white wine. Added asparagus in the last minutes.

Pulled pork with oregon and PSTOG, pork shoulders, olive oil marinated for 2 days and cooked for 3 hours. Peppers, onion cooked with tomato burritos.

15 Likes

Well, husband doesn’t eat cassoulet, he hates beans, so a can like this for me are 2 lunches (sometimes 3). I actually love the beans more than the confit, but it is very heavy with fat, so more food for me in the cooler days.

3 Likes

I agree…I do love any kind of bean. As a child my mom made two kinds of beans: Heinz vegetarian and her own recipe of white beans cooked with beef and spices, called Cholent.
Today, give me white, red, pink, black, garbanzo, etc, cooked in any ethnic way, and I am a happy camper.

6 Likes