What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

Your research is impeccable, and your great uncles’ stories are amazing to read. Never forgotten, thanks to you. :heart:

4 Likes

I made this quite often, easy and tasty!

1 Like

Miso salmon, ponzu-butter corn, edamame, and smacked cukes and radish.

11 Likes

It Was A Day.
Personally, Professionally, and Worldwide.

I needed comfort food.

Mac & Ham & Cheese to the rescue.
Screw the vegetables.
But definitely a glass of Wine.
And Gifford’s Caramel Cookie Crunch ice cream for dessert.

13 Likes

Chicken tinga taco using a paratha (perhaps that makes it a frankie… or a kathi roll…).

Cabbage and carrot slaw on the side.

11 Likes

Really uneventful veggie ramen tonight with same asian-ish cucumbers as usual lately not pictured.

Last night i think i had yogurt and berries followed by watermelon

Monday night was avocado roll, seaweed salad and edamame with my bff and her husband and my favorite toddler after visiting the water park/playground with sprinklers for kids (hysterical!)

My mojo is officially MIA. Please return if you find it.

10 Likes

My mojo is Mia also . I have been looking for it . Been cooking simple reruns. Not there is anything wrong with that .

3 Likes

I really like the seafood curry (effectively a seafood moilee) at Amber India in Mountain View and set out to remake it at home. Online recipes were a bit lacking but provided a starting point, which I tweaked based on intuition. I was pleasantly surprised to nail it on my first try!

Roughly speaking, I started out frying whole spices (curry leaves, mustard seed, cumin, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise) in coconut oil, then fried the aromatics (onion, garlic), then added turmeric and tomatoes and finished with coconut cream, crushed cashews (as a thickening agent) and finally the prawns.

17 Likes

This looks luscious!

1 Like

My MIL JUST made a creamy pasta salad with pimentos the other day. YUM! I never add them to anything but I will next time. It is such a fun addition.

2 Likes

I know exactly what you mean. I’m in a food rut too. I’ll look for yours and mine. If I find it, I’ll ship it in a box with food!

3 Likes

If you have a partial jar top it off with white vinegar. The pimentos will last a bit longer.

3 Likes

Oh MY! Looks fantastic.

That looks beyond fabulous.

BF cooked tonight, using my kimchi chicken in enchiladas. He’s not as enamored with kimchi as I am, so he covered up the flavor pretty well with canned/doctored enchilada sauce. Alongside were canned/doctored beans, and his own rice. I ate it all with TPST of sour cream.

15 Likes

In the mid to late '70s, I clipped a recipe from the newspaper. I think it was titled “Meal in a Skillet for Sunday Supper”. I’m 90% sure it was a Marian Burros recipe. Years later I realized it was influenced by Moroccan cuisine. The recipe called for bulgar. My local food coop had heard of it but had no source to obtain it. I was advised to see if anyone I knew was traveling to San Francisco and ask them to bring some back. I also checked at the little once a week grocery the Seventh Day Adventists ran. They didn’t have it either. So I decided to substitute alphabetically. Barley began with the same letter so…it worked and the sub became the way I’ve always made it! So that’s what was for dinner tonight.

The dish contains browned ground turkey seasoned with cumin, paprika, crushed red pepper and s/p. Onion and red bell pepper are sauteed. Same with chopped mushrooms. minced garlic heated briefly too. Lastly plumped golden raisins, chopped black olives and chopped tomatoes are added. At this point the recipe calls for the bulger to be added, skillet covered and cooked 10 min. I just add cooked barley and proceed. If the dish seems to need more liquid water, broth or a little tin of V8 juice works fine. It’s not the most photogenic dish but the flavor really pops! This freezes very well too. In the winter frozen peppers work if the cost of fresh is too dear.

12 Likes

M… just one question …“TPST”… is an adjective …correct? and can be used to enhance the description of any food?

2 Likes

Sounds simple and real nice… I do make barley, often with roasted chicken, and the barley goes in the oven with chopped onion and mushrooms,(any kind will do)chicken stock, white wine, black pepper and a little olive oil.
I will have to try yours, as mine is a Friday night favorite for the family, and yours will change it up a little bit.

@PHREDDY, it stands for “The Proverbial Shit-Ton” of…whatever. I use it for my baked potatoes when I add TPSTOB (of butter). I used to write it out, but @mariacarmen came up with the acronym.

3 Likes

L…you are so on point , as always, and I was hoping to shed some light on our secret jargon for those whom might think we are cryptic cult…not so… Maria used it this post with just TPST…in reference to sour cream. Your original , and trademarked, Proverbial Shit Ton of Butter or “PSTOB”, relates to butter… As such I was asking can we use TPST as a new adjective here in the future?
For instance TPST of onions? Cheese? Jalepenos? etc.
I do so enjoy playing and I know you started this…so hats off to you!