What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

A unexciting picture but it was tasty.

BBQ chicken thighs and a variety of grilled veggies (asparagus from my mom’s garden, delicata squash, red skinned potatoes).

10 Likes

I love quiche, but really don’t know how to make it. And unless the crust is exceptional (very few places imo), for me I just sort of ignore it and eat the egg middle. So clafoutis seemed like a natural vehicle to go savory, since I already was frequently making it sweet and with fruit for weekend breakfasts.

2 Likes

We’re getting the tram into the city centre for dinner this evening.

Tomorrow - grilled gammon steaks, creme fraiche & 2 mustard sauce (Dijon & grain), spuds, peas & broad beans.

Gammon & sauce idea - from Nigel Slater’s “Eat”.

By the by, I’ve just ordered Slater’s new book “Greenfeast - spring, summer”. There will be another volume later in the year for the other two seasons. As suggested by the title, recipes are seasonal and entirely vegetarian.

8 Likes

that’s sad! they were really good here. but their season is short.

1 Like

damn i want to be there again!

p.s. - love the glasses.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s good you’re home a few days a week too. I actually had a similar schedule for a few months, home fri-sun, but no week off. Somehow i got used to it…

Whoahza!! And the sandwich was free???! Five star day you had! And such a fantastic outdoor space your friend has. Totally worth popping some bubbles :clinking_glasses:

You get used to anything. I’ve had this schedule for about 6 yrs.

1 Like

Mrs. P made a deconstructed chicken taco with pulled chicken, fresh garlic, hoisin sauce, red and green onions, homemade guacamole, jalapeño cream cheese with chipotle powder, chopped mini peppers, arugula, English cucumbers, radishes, smoked beets, and blue corn tortilla chips :yum:

8 Likes

Man, Mrs. P!!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Someone put a bag of pears on the kitchen counter at work, so I grabbed one to use with dinner tonight.

A b/s chickie boobie seasoned with s/p and dried thyme, and pan-seared in butter and olive oil. Chopped shallots added for all of about 15 seconds before pouring in some wine. Covered and let simmer until mostly reduced, adding peeled slices of pear near the end, finishing with a Tbsp of heavy cream.

Sides were basmati rice and asparagus.

And wine for the cook.

14 Likes

I was in the mood for something easy, light and very fresh. My family used to serve a dish called Farmer’s Chop Suey as a side dish. I’ve never heard mention of it elsewhere and the only similarity to chop suey is that it has ingredients which are chopped! The “dish” is basically a variety of fresh, chopped vegetables and sour cream. My family provided bowls of tomatoes, scallion, and celery. Each person makes their mix to the ratio they desire.

My variation tonight was tomatoes, scallion and cucumber seasoned with celery salt and white pepper. And sour cream of course!

8 Likes

I had googled Farmers Chop Suey many years ago with no result. Now there are quite a few results that come up! Who knew?

1 Like

Interesting post about the origins:

5 Likes

Yep, it was a promo for the show, for NYC upfronts week. Sandwich, B&W cookie, and a drink. Pretty nice!

This weather is what makes outdoor space in nyc worth it, even though it’s for such a short time!

2 Likes

Have had a hankering for scallops for a few weeks now, finally gave in.

I went all out - browned butter sea scallops with sautéed corn and mushrooms over truffled cauliflower purée.

Started with fresh mozzarella treated like fresh malai (cream) paneer - just a sprinkle of chaat masala, cubed, and a toothpick. Plus some halved grape tomatoes. So good: my new favorite snack!

14 Likes

Ooh, I have chaat masala! This would be bomb with bocconcini.

Quickie - chipotle+cheese chicken sausages, Cuban black beans, avocado, and brown rice (cooked with olive oil and salt), vinegar slaw with lime, jalapeño, cilantro, and scallions, and garlic zucchini. It was tasty - baby totally boycotted.

14 Likes

Absolutely - it goes down easy, I’d cut the bocconcini in half!

Really good with some fruit on the side - my mom’s combo. I might cut up my watermelon tomorrow (also great with chaat masala).

1 Like

Request for pork ribs recipes here: