What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

Working my way through the leftover khichdi - lentils have a way of multiplying on me…

Semolina-crusted dover sole and a rare indulgence of fried papad ( a few types :roll_eyes:) - hey, it’s Friday.

Ate a bunch of roasted cauliflower earlier.

11 Likes

That looks so good!

All of it looks delicious, but those sweet potato fries :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks @RedJim ! I didn’t even plan it :slightly_smiling_face: The sun just started shining when I took the picture.

Thanks @Saregama ! Believe it or not the sweet potato fries are from Trader Joe’s. They are under $3 and a lot less labor intensive than making your own :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nope, didn’t hear that (I’ve had them, loved them, then made myself pretend they don’t exist).

4 Likes

The last of the last sweet potato from my produce box, some random walnuts i found in my freezer. (??when did i even buy those?) some tofu, scallions, and impulse buy watermelon radishes :)) i thought i was very funny when i cut them into wedges! Not spicy at all though.

12 Likes

Hands down best BBQ sauce available IMO, have you used their dry rubs as well?

1 Like

Yes, I love the new thicker version of the red hot Bone Suckin’ Sauce. Their Bone Suckin’ mustard is pretty good too. No, I haven’t tried their dry rubs. Mrs. P makes her own Cajun dry rub using about 8 different spices, and we use it on pretty much everything (chicken, meat, pork, fish). It’s nice and spicy.

1 Like

Will definitely try the mustard
If you are ever want to change it up I recommend their dry rub … did they change the red hot thick style sauce?

“that time I lost the scissors” while applying the dry rub
this is where I found them when I unwrapped

11 Likes

Nice night out the deck . Coals in the smokey joe . Cheeseburgers . With those fabulous cheap buns . Canned beans . With my cucumber salad. Cheers .

12 Likes

The mustard goes good with pork tenderloin. They used to have a thinner red hot sauce, which was good but a little watery. I like the thicker version, plus it also seems a little spicier. I usually get the Bone Suckin’ sauces at Fairway. I’m not sure if they also sell the dry rubs there as well. The shipping charges are ridiculous if you order from them online.

1 Like

Beautiful meal… the fries have my name on them…

1 Like

Thanks @PHREDDY !

1 Like

Most Lowes carry the sauce and the rubs as well, plus several smaller markets. I didn’t realize the thick version wasn’t available spicy, DH must have been mixing them … cool! Agree the shipping on their website is beyond cost prohibitive … many stores only carry seasonally, we have ordered both from Amazon Prime, so no shipping charge. I love pork with mustard and am really looking forward to trying theirs, thanks again for that recommendation.

1 Like

Mrs H & I plan a nice three course Saturday dinner. Then she’s off to Wales for a few days with her mum and sister.

So, to start, asparagus, hollandaise sauce (supermarket jar), grating of Parmesan

Roast belly pork, red cabbage (made at Xmas and batched for the freezer), carrots, Jersey Royal potatoes, apple sauce (the last of the freezer batch).

To finish, possibly cheese - we have a nice Red Leicester and Blackstick’s Blue. Or, possibly, pancakes - I bought a pack of six at the supermarket. I see them spread with raspberry jam, rolled up and heated, then a grating of dark chocolate - with ice cream.

(Now I come to think about it, I may not do the pancakes tonight - which means that’s six all for me while herself is away).

11 Likes

I didn’t realize that Lowe’s carries them. I see that Lowe’s only has the sweet thick marinade while I got the spicy thick one at Fairway. I like the spicy one.
Let me know how you like the mustard. It is not spicy, but just pairs well with pork tenderloin or any hot dog, sausage, kielbasa, etc.
In case anyone is interested below is Mrs. P’s Cajun Dry rub mixture if you like something very spicy. This is a triple portion. We keep it in a cannister since Mrs. P uses it on everything.

3 tsp (teaspoon) salt
9 tbl (tablespoon) sweet basil
4 1/2 tbl Cayenne
6 tbl dry mustard
6 tbl black pepper
6 tbl white pepper
6 tbl onion powder
6 tbl garlic powder
6 tbl oregano

9 Likes

Terrific thank you

1 Like

My pleasure :relaxed:

1 Like

Sicilian pizza night again. We’ve pretty much settled on using Kenji Lopez-Alt’s Sicilian dough recipe in the food processor, with a sauce of D.O.P. tomatoes, garlic and oregano, and topped with about 3/4 lb. (or more) deli-sliced whole milk mozzarella and a generous sprinkling of parm. I doubled the recipe, so guess what’s for dinner tonight! I may top some of the leftovers with a little hot Italian sausage and some sliced banana peppers.

14 Likes