What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

Works for me! Trying to curb carbs.

:frowning: Dinner will be fish and broccoli tonight. No starch. ouch.

Wine ain’t got carbs, right???

3 Likes

Who cares. ;)) Empty calories, empty carbs, taste great

2 Likes

DYING for a burrito lately. Broke down today at Target (of all places, my carb shield was down?).

I see a breakfast burrito post in the near future. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I like to take one of those empty calorie flour tortillas and lightly toast it on the camal then put a small bed of arugula down, sliced mini tomatoes, maybe sliced mini peppers, a touch of shredded cheese and top it with a broken yolk fried egg, then roll it and use a little uncooked egg white as the glue to hold it tight then toast it on the camal till it’s a little brown all over.

Slice on the diagonal

One of my wife’s favorite breakfast meals

5 Likes

The menu had soondubu but also this one which was a different name- maybe different name because it was vegetarian? Had the same lovely soft tofu as soondubu but more flavor of the fermented soy paste (doenjang?) in the broth

1 Like

Excellent butter delivery device!

5 Likes

Museum of natural history! Street hot dog for the kid! Lego store! Eataly! Rain! Blue man group! Izakaya! Japanese beauty store! Bubble tea!

Eataly for their version of pizza
Unfortunately all three of us are lactose intolerant… :confused:

The tomatoey one for me- fantastic flavor and a perfect sprinkle of salt ontop… (nephew got the same, sister went with various charcuterie plate)

My nephew loves asian food as much as i do, so we went to yakitori taisho tonight. Sparkling sake for my sister and I

Cucumber miso appetizer (he was more into the miso than the cucumber)

Lots of little plates- didn’t get them all.
My veggies and garlic yakitori

Very into his onigiri, there was spicy tuna in the middle apparently

Various meat and shrimp yakitori my nephew and sister shared, and plate of veg

Chilled tofu for me

“Only” walked six miles today…

17 Likes

Wine is liquid sugar :smile:

2 Likes

Casual freezer meals the last couple of nights after takeout Indian on Wednesday. I had frozen some leftover ravioli filling and combined it with leftover spinach ricotta calzone filling to make veggie calzones on the pizza steel. I overcooked mine a bit but it was still good.

On Thursday I made sweet potato fries and paired them with frozen black bean burgers for my husband and son, and I had a feta-spinach turkey burger that had been in the freezer for a long time. It was still perfectly good and hit the spot. Obviously, I have a cheese problem.

15 Likes

I like to cover one with butter and salsa, microwave it for 15 seconds, and eat it over the sink.

5 Likes

Jacob’s Ladder is a traditional, if relatively uncommon, cut of beef used for braising. It’s become more popular since supermarkets started calling it by its American name - shortribs.

We’re having them with Jersey Royal spuds (still early in their season and bloody expensive) and steamed spring greens. As a dessert, poached rhubarb with a butterscotch sauce - yet another seasonal recipe from Nigel Slater (https://beingnigella.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/rhubarb-in-butterscotch-sauce/)

10 Likes

Late week Pantry raid (there is an “r” in that statement):

Not going into the falderal that cancelled our late afternoon and evening plans for Thursday and today, but we needed a fallback plan for dinner for both days that did not include exhaustive prep. Therefore, we pushed cans and bottles around our pantry before deciding on Tuna Salad sandwiches (Thursday) and White Meat Chicken Salad sandwiches today. Didn’t have a go-with for Thursday’s sandwiches, but did it up royally tonight with Newman’s Own Medium Salsa & Mission chips; with Vlasic Zesty Dill Pickle Spears.

11 Likes

One of my all-time favorite meals with potatoes and green beans. And that rhubarb with butterscotch sauce sounds fabulous.

1 Like

Lunch today - chicken spinach sausages with Uzbek cole slaw. Baby pizza birthday party for dinner.

10 Likes

A good visit with Mom this morning.
Then errands.
Some reading.
And planning dinner.

Which was pan-seared duck breast with a balsamic-blackberry sauce, Israeli couscous and asparagus. Wine.

And I had to make some dessert, as I had bought some 1% milk…forgetting I already had 2 quarts in the fridge. (Shades of my buying carrots every time I went to the stupidmarket a few years ago because I kept forgetting I already HAD carrots!)

So chocolate pudding was made (boxed) with additional Valhrona cocoa powder. After it set, I added some small bits of ginger preserves, shaved dark chocolate with sea salt, and chopped pistachios to the top.

It was all very very very good.

25 Likes

What makes the slaw Uzbek? Looks gorgeous…
so it is a birthday party for a baby with pizza? Or a party with very small pizzas? :joy: either way sounds like a win!

2 Likes

It’s similar to a slaw I had at an Uzbek resto :slight_smile:

2nd birthday party with pizzas :wink:

3 Likes

That looks amazing … Blackberry is my absolute favorite sauce to have with game birds / game, drool!

2 Likes

That dessert is genius!

1 Like

Wind! Walking! Bagels! Biking! Street nuts! Street preformers! More biking! Sailboat racing! More walking! Chinese food!

The obligatory nyc bagels to bring back home, and second breakfast (first breakfast was some of the spicy ramen we got in H mart!) for my nephew who has endless energy and the appetite of an athletic boy.

Gratuitous pic of our new bff, Oscar the golden retriever who was an audience to remote controlled sailboats in central park.

Decided to make it an all asian dinners trip, and delivery isn’t really a “thing” where they live. Ordered in from China Blue. I convinced my nephew he would be into chili wontons (and was correct)

They shared a shrimp/pork thing over crispy noodles

The green beans and their fish dish missed the pic. Hot and sour soup for me with some green beans and rice. Best hot and sour soup in nyc by far. Warmed me up finally- crazy winds today made it chilly outside!

“Only” walked six miles today… they leave stupid early tomorrow morning. We’re all exhausted but also had a blast and some fantastic meals. Crammed some culture into the kid by making him learn about traditional meals for where we were eating each night too :joy:

20 Likes