What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

Thank you @chowdom :blush:

2 Likes

Life is too short to skip the potatoes. (And they actually have a lot of nutrients!)
Those look SO good!!

4 Likes

I made the lentil coconut curry soup that @Saregama has been so in love with yesterday, and although i modified it a bit to what was on hand (biggest change was using yellow curry paste and skipping the chili flakes. I’m wimpy!) and i pureed it with my immersion blender.
And i get it. This is absolutely the best lentil soup i have had in a very very long time. I prettied up my mug of it with some fancy black salt and cilantro

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-lentil-tomato-and-coconut-soup?intcid=inline_amp&_gl=1mzopkp_ga*YW1wLVYzbWdwTE1ueWl3eUdIODhHX1lYN3ppMkdBOUM0blhmdFdZMmE0S1BWY1p6TXZzOGY5VlhCZUh0dWJDUHhfSFQ.

Side of green beans from the produce box, when they’re so fresh i don’t like to mess with them much- steamed and then topped with seasoning salt and some nutritional yeast

There’s one of the little apples left, which i’ll definitely have tonight as a peanut butter delivery device.

13 Likes

That what I feel like eating!

1 Like

True, I have been in love with this soup :heart_eyes:
This and the similarly-flavored carrot one from Chrissy Teigen’s book.

Glad you liked it - now I have to make some!

1 Like

Now that looks and sounds delicious

1 Like

We are still in a post holiday “can’t be arsed about cooking” mode. So…

Supermarket ravioli to start

Roast belly pork, steamed purple sprouting brocolli, apple sauce.

Supermarket Bramley apple & blackberry pie. Custard (Birds powder, not the real thing)

Truth be told, I quite like this not really cooking mode, so might start to give WFD a miss for a while. Our dinners are always much simpler than those of you Yanks and probably going to get simpler. I am often in awe of your skills and committment to putting such fantastic food on the table night after night.

7 Likes

So agree

2 Likes

You’re talkin’ my language!

2 Likes

Saints preserve me! Two gorgeous plates.

2 Likes

At times, , I think, it is even necessary to take a break!

5 Likes

Thanks Jimmy :grinning:

How does it work?

Even when you

you still are sharing. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to mix blackberry with apples in a pie! Now I must go google “Bramley” to learn about that variety.

4 Likes

A brief British apple lesson.

We regard apples as either “eaters” or “cookers”. Cookers usually (and perhaps always) cook down to a puree and are very sharp. Bramley Seedling is, by far, the most common cooker and is generally the only one you will find in supermarkets. In autumn, I keep my eyes open in farm shops, etc for Howgate Wonder which is a tad sweeter than the Bramley - but still very sharp. A cooker is what I use for apple sauce, generally just “as is” without any added sugar. Similarly, if I was making an apple chutney. Cookers are also what most Britons would use in a pie or for a baked apple. This is not to say that we don’t cook with “eaters”, although that would be much rarer and would also tend to be a sharper apple, such as Granny Smith.

I don’t think Bramley’s are generally grown outside the UK but, I suppose, may have been sent to the dominion countries such as Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.

By the by, blackberry & apple is a very common combo in the UK - jams, pie fillings, crumbles and other puddings.

5 Likes

That is true; I just don’t want it to be any shorter. Husband needs rice at every meal, so… Anyway I agree. Here are some fingerling potatoes I am growing this year.
La Ratte

Rose Finn Apple

Yellow Russian

Eve. MORE Yellow Russian

They always look so promising this time of year.

5 Likes

Clouds in my neck of the woods this morning turned into rain in Mom’s neck of the woods turned into sunshine upon returning to my neck of the woods.

A stop at Trader Joe’s “for a couple of things” turned into a full shopping trip. I’ve obviously not been in awhile.

Dinner decided on the way home: Fettuccine Carbonara. I had picked up some applewood-smoked bacon which prompted the dinner decision.

A small side salad of thinly sliced cucumbers and radishes with a light balsamic vinaigrette and a thick slice of hot, buttered Trader Joe’s sourdough bread.

And wine. It was a damn fine meal. If I do say do myself.

14 Likes

Even “from the supermaket” shelves meals can still inspire us, so please don’t stop posting, John!

9 Likes

When I’ve returned from a vacation, I can’t wait to get back in the kitchen. Like an addict, I go through withdrawal

4 Likes

We went to a potluck; I brought kale salad with pecans, oranges, and dried cranberries with lemon-garlic citronette.

4 Likes