What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Last night I went out to Dali with a friend - hadn’t been in a long time, so it was perfect timing. We started with Pato Braseado (duck in berry sauce). Julio had them pick out the largest leg/thigh combo for us and it was perfectly cooked.

Also Patatas Alioli, chunks of roasted potatoes with a garlic-caper alioli drizzled on top, and Croquetas de Jamón, which was fried croquettes of Serrano ham and Manchego cheese served with an amazing tomato jam.

Second round was Gambas con Gambardina (deep-fried Saffron Batter Shrimp with a garlic-parsley Mojo sauce) and Solomillo en Tostada (beef tenderloin on grilled toast with roasted red pepper…extra Mojo is great on this!)

Libation was Dali’s red sangria, and dessert was Churros with Catalan Crema and chocolate sauce for dipping, and Cuarenta y Tres.

Let’s just say I slept in today. :hushed: LOL There was a good regular season ending by the Patriots today. :+1:

Easy dinner tonight - a tub of chili pulled from the freezer, put on top of some elbow noodles as my stepfather always did, topped with grated Rum Runner cheese from Whole Foods and a hefty dollop of sour cream.

There was wine.

13 Likes

Nice! Thrifty.

My DH cooked an Iowa beef sirloin tip roast sous vide for 36 hrs. We served it like prime rib au jus with horseradish cream. Sides were bakers, blue cheese wedges, and a crappy frozen creamed spinach. Some shortcuts are not worth it!

12 Likes

The beef looks perfect! Do you make the horseradish cream? I’m still trying to tweak my recipe.

Yup, just horseradish and sour cream, plus salt.

2 Likes

Love wahoo. It’s a buy when I see it at one of my local fish markets

1 Like

Sirloin looks great :+1:.

2 Likes

Upcoming, the final meal of 2018 - a year both of us will be very glad to see the back of.

Starter - potted shrimps, squeeze of lemon

Main - beef rib roasted, roast spuds, mashed carrot & swede, steamed cavolo nero, gravy, Yorkshire salad. horseradish sauce

Cheese - a yet to be determined selection from Blacksticks Blue, Blue Wensleydale, Red Leicester and Mr Bourne’s (very mature) Cheshire

Dessert - pithivier, cream

7 Likes

it’s definitely not the same, but i’ve gotten away with chicken and turkey. it really depends on particular about it…

Happy new year everyone WFD !!! :star_struck: :champagne: :confetti_ball::tada::balloon::clinking_glasses::plate_with_cutlery:

5 Likes

A wonderful 2019 for all!!!

:clinking_glasses::fireworks::firecracker:

5 Likes

Another year in the books. Some tough times with Mom, but she’s doing so much better, for which I’m ever so thankful. Busy at work, which is better than the alternative, right?

The days continue to move forward, I continue to get older, life continues to throw wrenches. But as Patches O’Houlihan said, “If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.” So I’ll keep dodging those wrenches.

Other than seeing Mom earlier today and dropping off donations at the Salvation Army, I spent it planning a NYE dinner. A quick cheese and fruit plate to Scooby Snack on during the afternoon - Manchego, membrillo and Marcona almonds, a nutty, buttery creamy Brillat-Savarin, crackers, nectarines, kiwi slices and red grapes.

Since I didn’t get a chance to make it for Christmas dinner with Mom, I chose to make a Beef Tenderloin steak with Cognac Cream Sauce (more medium than medium-rare, but it was still very good!), roasted baby potatoes, and green beans with toasted almonds. A very good 2011 Brunello di Montalcino as the libation.

Dessert will be Lemon Posset with lemon zest and pomegranate arils.

Happy New Year to all of you. Here’s wishing that 2019 brings lots of good changes for us all, our nation, and the world.

2018-12-31-HNY

15 Likes

One of my favorite Chinese dishes Mei Cai Kou Rou [梅菜扣肉]. A somewhat labor intensive dish, but so worth it. It’s pork belly that has been blanched, fried and then steamed to produce a very silky and soft texture that almost melts in your mouth, paired with sweet/savory dried and preserved mustard greens in a soy based sauce. Pairs really well with rice!

This is actually my second attempt. It’s such a complicated dish that I had to stop and start, re-read instructions my first time. This time was a lot smoother (and less painful, after knowing to watch for the popping oil when frying…), but it still takes a good 1.5 to 2 hours to prepare, and the mei cai (preserved mustard greens) has to be soaked for at least a few hours, preferably overnight. Apparently I still stink at dicing the mei cai, as it was still extremely long strips.

16 Likes

Dropping in to wish all a very Happy New Year! See you in 2019 with renewed curiosity about so many delicious things.

:champagne:Rooster

6 Likes

What a delicious day!!

1 Like

Got back from cali yesterday afternoon, for about 48hrs in nyc before going to philly early morning on the 2nd.
There was seriously nothingness in my apartment, went to the nearby grocery for essentials and decided i could definitely take down an entire bunch of cilantro in two days :joy: Needed a big salad after all day of random snacky things while traveling.
There’s cucumber, olives, some chickpeas and lettuce under that cilantro pile somewhere

Had a big honeycrisp with almond butter and my tea late night.

NYE in nyc is a disaster of epic proportions, i’m usually still in CA, or a friends little party- seems everyone is traveling this year and I’m getting old and lame and am perfectly content staying in away from the cold rain and wind and crowds of drunk idiots.
Stopped at the decent grocery this afternoon and decided i needed stewed cabbage. That odd recipe i make with lots of tomato paste, onions, garlic, chopped tomatoes, caraway seeds, peanut butter, cider vinegar, lots of black pepper, and shredded thin cabbage. I was multitasking and apparently opened a can of hominey, not white beans. Shrugged and added it in- why not? Simmered for a good long time.
Not photogenic but really delicious. Kombucha a la carte as my bubbly tonight.

Happy New Year to all!! I feel so lucky to have such a fantastic group of inspiring supportive and kind friends here :smile:

13 Likes

Well said!

A forum that started from frustration has turned into a really nice thing!

7 Likes

Excellent year to you too! You are the queen of vegetables, thanks for all the invaluable inspirations all year round.

5 Likes

Last dinner of 2018 out of the oven…

Baked Garlic Chicken Breast, Redskin mashed potatoes.

Happy New Year 2019, all!

10 Likes

Also last meal of 2018.

Snails with garlic parsley and butter

Smoked West Indian ham with pineapples - since I bought the spicy ham smoked and cooked, the pineapple was more for decoration , instead of syrup, I used honey.

Dessert is bûche (Christmas log) in sorbet.
](https://www.iletaitunefoislapatisserie.com/2016/12/buche-noel-roulee-chocolat-facile-rapide.html)

Blackberry, raspberry and blackcurrant - quite good!

16 Likes