What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

My Redskins are playing Mon nite football tonight!

So, munchies are on the menu. Chicken wings, fries, celery, carrots, homemade blue cheese dressing, my hot sauce with Crystal and butter.

All of it put on the coffee table before the game starts so that I don’t have to move from the front of the tv :smiley:

Oh, and beer! My fav. Sam Adams cherry wheat. It’s a good beer to cook with. I drink it while I cook…

As I understand it, Italians aren’t heavy on garlic but Italian Americans are. I’ve pulled WAY back on the amount I use and let other flavors come out.

1 Like

I hear you, cath, but when I’m honest with myself, I do love some garlic in most dishes. I don’t always hit us over the head with it, but in something like tomato sauce, I do love some. My son, on the other hand, doesn’t love tomato soup with garlic. It reminds him too much of red sauce.

Karl S from that other site has served that sauce as a soup with a cheese souffle at dinner parties. I did once and it was a huge success.

1 Like

I made lentils in my slow cooker. With onions, garlic, various spices and aromatics, and homemade chicken stock. Near the end of the cooking time I added some brown mushrooms - like little portobellos (these were on sale). I also added the cumin towards the end, as cumin can turn bitter with long cooking. I ate a tapas dish of some of them this evening, with a small egg cracked in the middle and baked.

Some of this will be frozen.

1 Like

Sausage & chestnut meatballs, mashed spuds, something greem, mustard cream sauce.

4 Likes

Last night was soup, tomato for me and lentil for DH, with cauliflower patty/pancake things on the side. For the cauliflower patties, you quickly steam the cauliflower the finely chop, add sauteed onions/garlic, some Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, an egg, milk, and flower. Recipe I sorta followed said you are looking for the consistency of thick pancake batter. Drop onto hot griddle. We served them with some chives and a few sprinkles of hot sauce. They were good, but I’m not sure I would do them again. I love cauliflower and I think its flavor got a bit lost here.

1 Like

I have a gig with my band at one of our favorite venues in town tonight & am very much looking forward to have an incredibly gifted sax/clarinet player from out of town join us :smile:

Given the evening obligations, dinner will be tomato & orzo soup courtesy of Wegmans and grilled cheese courtesy of my man, king of the grilled cheese sammich.

3 Likes

North Sea squid. Almost Spanish style? The squid were all very small and tender already. There wasn’t so much to be gutted (unlike big squid and cuttlefish). Chorizo and fennel seeds gave the stew most of the flavour. Seedy baguette to mop up the sauce. (photo to be posted later)

1 Like

Could be used to trick children into eating veg. Looks nice in any case.

I’m really impressed with the time so many of you take to present a pretty plate of food. I’m classic “slap it on a plate” / “throw it in a bowl” before you eat.

Last night was stir fried rice cakes with shrimp, fish cake, veggies in XO sauce (and yep, looked messy but tasted good). I made so much, it’ll probably be the same for tonight, along with some Chinese greens.

2 Likes

Have you ever had Siesel’s bacon? They make it in house and my SIL usually gives us cryovac packs to take home when we visit for Thanksgiving. Alas, we didn’t get any this year. It’s excellent.

I don’t miss the garlic in this sauce. It’s quite different than the usual sauces we make containing garlic and chilies, and basil or oregano. I feel it needs to be cooked exactly as written to get the full impact of what Marcella intended. I’m not as much of a Marcella fan as others are, there are a few recipes I’ve cooked, though, that G & I both have enjoyed.

WFD: Noodle Soup with Stir-Fried Scallops and Enoki Mushrooms. Ostensibly on schedule for the FB Wok Wednesday group, this gives me a chance to cook some ultra fresh sea scallops and to catch up to the group after being rather lax. It’s a Grace Young recipe from her Stir-Frying to the Sky’s Edge AKA “Sky”.

The ingredients are: scallops, dry sherry, chili bean sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, white pepper, enokis, chicken broth, ginger, peanut oil, carrots, bok choy, barest pinch of salt, Chinese egg noodles.

Several steps are involved with the scallops being stir-fried and set aside, and the mushrooms, bok choy, and carrots stir-fried together. The broth will be strengthened with ginger slices. As usual the different elements will be added to each bowl in turn, then the noodles, with the steaming broth ladled over all.

I’m looking forward to a heavenly soup blessed by
The Kitchen God.

1 Like

Hi Roxlet & welcome.

Missed your take on things. This place is proving to be good fun.

John

5 Likes

I don’t remember if I’ve had the bacon- maybe on a sandwich there back when I lived in San Diego. Everything was long closed by the time we pulled out of San Diego that night but I do carry an ice chest in the 4Runner and have been known to load up when I’m near a great place… I don’t eat a lot of bacon (not a fan of pork, really,) but the man likes it and I’m sure he’d love if I picked some up. A market close to us used to have great bacon but changed suppliers and I don’t care for what they have now at all so the man has been deprived of bacon since I do the shopping!

1 Like

No way would we ever shame you! We’ve all been there and certainly done that!

1 Like

I’m glad you’re having fun! Nice to see you again. And why aren’t you in LV too?

1 Like

Long, long, long, long day well into the evening. Sometimes it’s just easier to work when there’s no one else in the office so you can get stuff done without being bothered every 5 minutes. So I stayed and plowed through the November invoice Emails to get them out the door…200 EMails later, I skedaddled. At least that’s off my To Do list. Not that it’s any smaller. :-/

Thankfully, I had a package of ground beef waiting to be repackaged for the freezer. A quick cheeseburger (with a bit of herb butter tucked inside), potato chips, and a quick salad of lettuce, chopped tomatoes, radishes, and walnuts, with a lemony-mustard vinaigrette. The libation was lemon-lime Gatorade.

NCIS and NCIS: NOLA on the tube, and an early bedtime. I won last week’s football pool, so up early to pick up the bagels and cream cheese.

3 Likes

Spicy Thai Coconut Curry soup with shrimp, perfect antidote for a week of windy, rainy weather.

4 Likes