What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

Maybe pick up a box from TJs. Just in case.

ok, trying to be here more often, though i still don’t like the way the replies work on this site. even the quote reply is annoying because then you see the same text over and over again as someone requotes it. but, i’m not going to bitch (anymore!) also, i probably picked a bad time to “come back” as i’m leaving the country for almost 3 weeks in about a week (Portugal, very excited!)

lately there have been more happy hours and food reviewing dinners than i can count, so not a lot of cooking. Tonight the BF and i finally collaborated on the Buzzfeed sichuan pork won tons. DELISH. i made the sichuan peppercorn oil last week, and he prepped most everything else this afternoon while i worked. we both folded the little won tons, and into boiling water they went for 7 mins. absolutely wonderful, i think boiled won tons will now be my go-to. The bf also made a sichuan cauli dish that turned out fantastic. and i made smacked cukes. all in all a really good dinner.

despite my bitching, it’s nice to see you all, and all your deliciousnesses!

5 Likes

All the more reason for you to start a Portugal/Spain board here.

We need more activity on regional boards anyway. And feel free to add some of your Barcelona reports from earlier this year while you’re at it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gio, I am a “time traveller” and have also been to Rothenburg o.d. Tauber. Spent a week there at this exact time 2 or 3 years back, IIRC. Rothenburg is absolutely stunning. Actually, the most beautiful medieval town I have ever seen. It is indeed considered the best preserved walled medieval town. Unfortunately, fame and beauty also come with a price: mass tourism. Like Charles bridge in Praque, it is impossible to walk round alone at any time, even in the middle of the night.

These days I go to the markets to find Lebkuchen, unless I’m in Nürnberg. In Nürnberg I just go to the endless bakeries and buy Lebkuchen from each shop because they are all aus eigener Herstellung/own recipes and they are quite proud of that.

From last night. I forgot to mention homemade goose fat Schmalz with apple bits. All the chairs are like this, pretty typical in tradional Bavarian restaurants (and the south of Germany in general).

Symbolism of brewing: malt scoop and mash fork.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know you don’t like this quotes thing, mc, but I love it. :joy:

I’m looking forward to hearing about your eats on this trip. I go to Spain once or twice a year but have never been to Portugal (I discount a single day visit when we were on a cruise years ago).

We’re going out for lunch so a lightish dinner is called for.

Hence, chicken kebabs.

Chunks of breast get a marinade for 30 - 60 minutes in chilli, pepper, lime zest and juice, garlic & honey (the latter comes from an apiarist a few minutes drive away). It goes on skewers, along with chunks of red and yellow pepper, then goes under the grill.

Alongside, a bag of supermarket salad leaf and rice if we’re peckish. And a dipping sauce made from mango chutney, garlic, chopped ginger, sugar, soy, white wine vinegar, Tabasco and olive oil (everything gets blitzed in the processor)

2 Likes

[quote=“catholiver, post:244, topic:2418, full:true”]
Maybe pick up a box from TJs. Just in case
[/quote] lol i thought about using premade. The puff puffed the rest of the recipe was a bit of a disaster a good reminder of why not to resurrect vague vintage recipes the first time when you have to serve it to people. Also i was so tired by the time I had to put the whole thing together i made some bad choices. Not pretty but it will taste good. Not in a rush to make puff again SO MUCH BUTTER!

This was frozen, as I had forgotten to take it out of the freezer when I was baking the cookies. So a quick half-defrost and squish and it worked. Probably would have been easier (and less burny on my fingers!) if I had just slit the casing!

So simple, but so tasty! And local honey is supposed to help with allergies, should you have any. :slight_smile: The dipping sauce also sounds very good!

Aw, why no love for Glühwein? It’s not something I’d want to drink every day, but on those cold, dreary days when the sun sets at 3pm, it really hits the spot!

Right??? The words just get in the way of Captain Von Trapp’s hotness! :smile:

1 Like

Looks like the recipe is actually from Saveur - did you find that it needed any tweaking? I don’t trust Saveur recipes to work without help. Your wontons look amazing, though!

Probably learned this from CH, but on the rare occasion that I do skewers, I put the meat on separate skewers than the vegs because of the wildly different cooking times.

1 Like

I’m with Presunto on the Glühwein. It always sounds like a great idea, but after a few sips of cheapass hot wine, I’m usually done. Tried the white version once - wasn’t much better.

But I generally prefer my booze cold (or at least room temp).

A friend of mine once got drunk on Glühwein. Can’t. Even. Blech.

1 Like

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOO. That would turn me off of it forever. But seriously, how do you drink more than one cup of it anyway?

Only by first drinking several glasses of something else. By which time, anything is a good idea.

3 Likes

Maybe there will be blog updates?! (hint, hint)

Have a wonderful and delicious trip.

2 Likes

Too traumatised I can’t even write anything for now… Verdammt noch mal LOL (“bloody hell”)

Biondanonima, Glühwein is so traumatising (have to use this word for the second time as there is not another word to describe this atrocity)

MC, I need your Portugal “report” in detail as often as you possibly can! Portugal, Spain and Germany are the 3 countries close to my heart. If you take my meaning! :joy:

DH has requested a “Yule” themed dinner to welcome his daughter here for her holiday visit (she is into Pagan holidays) - I wasn’t quite sure what that meant, but have settled upon a tourtiere-inspired meatloaf, cauliflower mash and baked apples. DH wants to make wassail as well, but I think I’ll stick to wine!

1 Like

Wassail is actually kinda tasty. And I know I am totally reversing what I said earlier about hot booze :smile:

1 Like