What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Has anyone here successfully baked brie in puff pastry without the rind? If I remove the rind, it always bursts through. Removing just the top rind is usually okau, but if I remove it all, I have no luck. This is after at least 20 tries, each time trying something different. (I am stubborn.)

My wife adores baked brie in pastry. This link is as close as I could find to her method. Note it’s a sandwich prep before you wrap in dough. You freeze the whole brie for ease of slicing then cut in half placing the filling btwn the slices. No bursting and once baked and cut the filling is well distributed.

2 Likes

Keys to success

1. Dry scallops ( no Trisodiumpolyphosphate)
  2. defrost the scallops if frozen in the fridge overnight, pat them dry the next morning
  3. dust with baking powder

Wet scallops ( with TSP) are cheaper but you are paying for extra 30% water, and steam when being cooked. There is only one place where I can buy fresh dry scallops, that is in Jessup Md at the seafood strip. It is not really that much more expensive but it is an. hour’s drive for me, in addition they only open between 2:00AM and 9:00AM… So, I only make an effort when I have a sea food party, need fresh sashimi quality tuna. I also have to a minimum of $200 worth of seafood but it is well worth my time during those days.

The ones I buy are U15-U20 , So, we have 7 -8 each and 1 to be divided between my two Pomeranians who loves them.

3 Likes

Huge thanks. The last two weeks my local supermarket has been having a special on fresh, not frozen dry scallops. Super tasty and $15 per lb. I don’t know if that’s a good price or not. How much are the scallops when you buy them?

At Costco, the scallops come different price.
When I happen to be there for a road show, I buy them otherwise I buy the frozen ones, sometimes it comes in a 2 lb bag( I prefer that) sometimes, they comes in 5 pound bag
Average probably $15.-16.00 / pound depending on the size.
This last trip were the U15-20 that were about $30 or $32 for the 2 lbs
The seafood strip cost me $15.00 but the, they do not cater to the public. I happen to go there about 2-3 times a year, know the manager and do buy no less than $200 or up to $300 each time I travel there.
They have fantastic sashimi quality fresh tuna, smoked duck trap mussels or scallops at 10.00/ pound but I have to order those 48 hours ahead. Also duck traps salmon which I just love.

2 Likes

I don’t remove the rind, but I’m trying to think how I might minimize the oozing if I did… seam up rather than down, and seal the seams shut using dumpling or empanada crimping maybe?

And probably freeze first - to slow down the cheese melting before the pastry is cooked/golden.

You dislike the rind? I don’t love it otherwise, but it bothers me less in the baked version.

1 Like

Tonight, I planned roasted root vegetables with bone in chicken parts as a one pan dish. Tahini glaze. Then Baked Jonathan apples with maple sauce for dessert.

Cheers,
Rooster

5 Likes

I have collard greens on the stove braising at the moment and Mahi and Amberjack in the fridge. The collard stems will get used as well but not tonight. Photos forthcoming

3 Likes

Mini brats with curry ketchup, leftover kraut and zuke carpaccio, and bbq beans.

11 Likes

Mahi, collard greens and cornbread. I’m in Southern heaven

12 Likes

Such a colorful plate.

The grilling season continues here in New Jersey. Grilled pork chops with BBQ sauce, shishito peppers, roasted corn and a variety of stray veggies (broccoli, eggplant and a zucchini).

4 Likes

I tried seam up rather than down and freezing first. Also, the empanada-style crimping sort of makes the puff pastry upset and it bursts even more than usual. Also, I have this issue with store bought puff pastry and homemade puff pastry. Both real homemade puff pastry and homemade rough puff. And even if I use vinegar in the pastry, I still have this problem.

I have no problem with rind – and on good cheeses, it’s a feature for me – but when I have non-cheese eating company over, the rind bothers them a lot. I remember when i first started eating cheese, the rind would bother me, too. Even the burst puff pastry is really good and gets eaten in zero time, but it bugs me to no end that I can’t get figure it out.

Yesterday was not my favorite day… somehow i am not excited about birthdays anymore. It was a gorgeous day so i went on a nice bike ride (although I probably found Every Single Hill in central park!) and picked up one of city bakery’s (vegan) chocolate chunk cookies with an espresso. Cookie was fantastic as always :))

Was going to meet a friend for drinks but she had to cancel because she got really sick, so that sucked and I wasn’t in the mood to go alone.
Cute french wine shop guy recommended this rose as a slightly sweet not too expensive bottle, had a nice effervescence to it

I ordered in from the decent thai place, which took them forever and a day to deliver because it started dumping crazy rain right after i ordered.
Vegetarian green papaya salad and i forget what they call it, but a coconut milk based soup with tofu and veggies that isn’t crazy spicy. Side of coconut sticky rice (most of that was breakfast this morning). No photo cuz i was on the phone and “had dinner with” my sister.

Tonight i had some rose as my appetizer while chopping. Salad of Stuff with cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, and the random packet of crunchy things i found in the drawer. There’s some tofu under everything, and dijon vinegrette on everything.
More rose a la carte.

15 Likes

I figured you had already tried all the things I could think of :joy:

Re rind - I actually find it much less bothersome on the baked brie, because it’s easier to avoid when scooping the melted part… just saying, as a “picky” eater :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lovely but Your birthday was hidden in all that meal talk. Happy milestone, T. Dont let numbers bug ya. :wink:

2 Likes

Happy birthday! :gift::tada::gift:

Mine kind of lasted all of September! Cards trickle in, birthday discount coupons have to be considered, takes awhile to decide when the personal pampering has reached the appropriate level…

6 Likes

Belated bday wishes toyou!:tada:

2 Likes

Happy happy to you! Birthday funk is normal and cyclical… everyone has been there… think you deserve a weekend or a week (or a month) of indulgences to celebrate yourself!

Hurrah for sisters (and cute wine store guys) :clinking_glasses: :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

My sun gold cherry tomato plant is performing quite the swan song now that the heat is not as intense. I slow roasted about a quart of the tomatoes with some butter. Sauteed onion in a skillet with a little more butter. Once the onions softened the tomatoes were added to the pan along with minced garlic. Once the garlic was fragrant added some salt, red pepper mix, Parmesan, fresh torn basil and half and half. Cooked briefly, thinned with pasta water and served over spaghetti. Perfect consistency - coated the pasta with out dripping!

And best of all I actually made the exact amount of sauce and pasta - no excess of either. I should probably run out and buy lottery tickets since this has never happened before. :sparkler:

Clementines with tea for dessert later. Then there will only be 10 or so left! Glad my hurricane eating is to use it up rather than necessity. Things remain a huge mess just an hour southeast of my area.

10 Likes