What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Cavolo nero is my favorite kale. I would stir it into white beans and sausage (either cooked to a risotto consistency or made into soup).

2 Likes

I made a summer to fall transition dish last night of scallops on the grill, corn on the cob, zucchini and a sliced tomato with balsamic. I get so bummed when it starts frosting. That’s usually when I hang up my grill tongs for the year.

7 Likes

Good to know. Sounds like a nice addition to soup.

Great idea, although too late for this batch, which is currently frying along with spuds as bubble & squeak. Mrs H decided dinner was breakfast (or “brunch grill” as we always call it, as that’s what it was called in the canteen where Mrs H worked).

So, we’re having a pan-UK breakfast for dinner - sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, eggs, black pudding (the northwestern addition) and the London bubble & squeak. Plenty of brown sauce, of course.

8 Likes

Crispy roast chicken thighs. Katie Lee’s butternut squash with brown butter and sage (which was delish). Arugula salad with grapes and blue cheese. NYT original plum torte for dessert. The whole meal was scrumptious.

7 Likes

Chop it roughly and throw it in at the last 5 minutes of a bean and sausage soup. Or a minestrone or pasta e fagiole soup.

3 Likes

We had grilled haddock and home made stewed tomatoes, the last of the crop from the back yard. Iggy’s baguette and wine. Cool and rainy today…thinking a beef stew might be good.

8 Likes

Grilled jumbo shrimp, tossed greens with lemon, grilled zucks and red rice for dinner.

8 Likes

Working my way through sorting, cleaning, carding and pricing a couple hundred pounds of vintage jewelry today is leaving me tired (bored,) and kinda grumpy (sick of doing it but want it DONE!) so dinner will be super easy- fried chicken meatballs and creamed spinach. The meatballs are already made and frozen uncooked, I make all kinds of meatballs in huge batches for future easy dinners, and the spinach comes together quickly. Kinda comfort food, I guess. :relaxed:

The meatball recipe is from meljoulwan.com but instead of rolling the meatballs in the spices (ain’t nobody got time for that nonsense!) I add it to the meat- and I add much more than she suggests as we like them well seasoned.

9 Likes

https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/seasonings/

The spice blend suggestions are helpful too.

2 Likes

Leftover beef stew. I made zucchini carpaccio with lemon and mint and smothered sauerkraut as sides.

10 Likes

The apple crisp came out well happy about it. I used a combo of mcintosh ad mcouns from the orchard and a hit of grated nutmeg with the cinnamon. Used up my gf oats and the French butter the wife found one day at the Eastern Euro market. I think I enjoy crisps more than pie sometimes. Warmed up its so good.

3 Likes

I have jars made up of several of her spice mix suggestions for quick meal prep. Thanks for posting the link.

1 Like

could not find a thread for lunch so wanted to share this, a wedge of brie, sandwich with Dalmatia fig spread, wrapped with left over pepperidge farm puff pastry shell before I serve for lunch, together with partially cooked French bread with butter garlic purchased from Harris Teeter, maple sausage, scrambled egg sandwich. Only had a small piece of left over puff pasty shell so, the wrap was not great,

one can see brie flowing out. Have not tried it yet . Did not want to be like last night, forgot to take picture of barilla plus pasta with red Argentina shrimp ( sautéed in tons of garlic , a tin of anchovy and chipotle adobo sauce served with pesto ( Costco’s) and freshly grated parmesan cheese) I shelled the shrimp, roasted the shell and cooked the pasta in the shell stock as usual bec I think that adds a lot of flavor to the pasta.

8 Likes

Love zucchini carpaccio, though mine is never quite that thin!

omg i remember that chicken…

1 Like

Fresh groceries!

Tomato and mozzarella salad, because I am grumpy about having been away for the most of the short window for “good” tomatoes.

And Kuku’ye Sabzi with fresh herbs and frozen spinach - an Iranian relative of the frittata. My first time making this, and it’s soooo delicious!

Ate the kuku with adjika - highly recommend this complex, spicy, well-balanced condiment (this was from a freezer stash made using the recipe in Kachka).

12 Likes

Well, the brie turned out great. The saltiness of the brie complimented the sweetness of the Dalmatia fig spread. I had this for snack as well as dessert tonight as. my son does not want to eat brie. His lost !

Tonight’s dinner is Costco’s dry scallops, left in Fridge overnight to defrost, wiped dry and dusted with baking powder this morning. Seared with mixture of butter and peanut oil. Then , added EVOO to the same cast iron pan, baby arugula till wilted, added freshly grated parmesan cheese and some prefried shallot, squeezed lime juice on top

Here is a picture of just one dish ( son was already eating his ) T&here is arugula but it is not shown as it is covered by the scallops. The scallops were not overcooked. The drying overnight plus dusting of baking powder really make them developed a nice brown crust. One of the scallops had a crust from the prefried shallot . I learned that technique of using baking powder from fellow HO presunto . Thanks Presunto

10 Likes

The brie looks glorious!

We do a small wheel for Thanksgiving and Christmas apps - love it with hot pepper jelly between the cheese and the puff (or occasionally on the side when we forget :roll_eyes:). Honey and sliced almonds are lovely too, but the kick in the jelly really puts it over!

1 Like

Great tip on the baking powder. I will try that next time I make scallops. I just started making scallops and miss the crust.

Thanks!