What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Sounds yummy!

1 Like

Sheet pan supper with Italian sausage and dew drop cabbage. The cabbage came in my Imperfect Produce box and I’ve never see it before. It was delicious.

15 Likes

I ended up making some cauliflower and rice pilaf instead of mash and another batch of zucchini carpaccio, ours with Pecorino Romano.

7 Likes

It’s featured in this month’s Food & Wine magazine

Perfect

1 Like

My good friend and mom of my favorite six year old was having a rough day for too many reasons, i invited myself over to deliver squishy hugs and her favorite macarons from bouchon bakery. She insisted i have a chunk of the pistachio (which thankfully my tummy was ok with) so that was my appetizer

Didn’t want to deal with going to the store so i went with a bodega dinner! Haha. Oh man, i had to tell the kid like so many times no cheese, no meat, yes all the veggies you have. Only they were out of lettuce. Seriously?? Anyways, somewhat bizarre yet rather tasty half hero with lots of tomato, onion, pickles, cucumber, and chopped olives. Plus mustard and mayo and salt/pepper. Side of the last of my bell pepper from the fridge. Hadn’t tried this rose cider so i got a backup one too ;))

There’s a lime popsicle waiting for dessert, it was weird hot and sticky today

14 Likes

I like that you stick to your guns . No meat no cheese.

2 Likes

Hahaha, yup! He definitely gave me the side eye… (and potentially a “there goes the neighborhood “ look)

6 Likes

Good looking macarons, your friend got to feel better with those and your visit!

1 Like

Dinner was toaster oven broiled shrimp and cod over yellow jasmine rice. My sons apt sure brings me bck to creative thinking meals. :+1:. Its been me and my kid taking in the nite life while Mother Bee is on biz travel. I love Boston burbs.

Cheers,
Rooster

10 Likes

Unfortunately, the computer fix didn’t succeed. So back to use my small screen laptop. :thinking:

Tonight we ate mussels. I ran out of ideas and went to a Brussel mussels restaurant website for ideas. :bulb: Blue cheese, white wine, sour cream and shallots mussels pot! I used gorgonzola instead of Roquefort, which was more mild comparatively, interesting. Sided with an iceberg lettuce, black olive and garlic confits salad.

Yesterday I made a vegetable tian, a typical southern French dish. My version: bell peppers, eggplants, red onions, squash were cut into cubes, thyme and sweet bay leaves added with s/p and olive oil, the whole lot were roasted in oven for 45 minutes. Then everything with tomatoes, grated Cantal cheese (recipe asked for Mimolette), home mixed Colombo powder, double cream and eggs, cooked for another 35 minutes in oven.

We ate with duck breast.

Not bad, except the tian was heavy with squash! The recipe asked for zucchini! I thought the squash I had was a young green one, except it was green outside and orange inside. So I learned my lesson.

Monday was pork ribs (not much bones though) cooked with beer and grainy mustard and sided with a sauerkraut. Meal was washed down with the Belgium blond Duvel that I used for cooking. Strange, first time I got such a bad headache from drinking beer. I rarely had hangover with any alcohol.

19 Likes

Years ago, there was a contest between Bobby Flay and a Belgian Restaurant in DC. The Belgian Restaurant won.
I followed their recipe for mussels often ( unless I am using as an ingredient for paella or cataplana).
The recipe uses garlic, white wine ,EVOO and crumbled blue cheese at the end with baby spinach
It was a winner, very sitar to. your recipe.
The Belgian restaurant served ti with FFries. I serve it with garlic bread.

3 Likes

Garlic bread is yummy with the recipe! Next time, I will try!

I put together a quick but yummy seared brined shrimp in a salsa ranchera cream sauce. Served with leftover cauli rice and green beans, asparagus roasted with olive oil and coriander, and leftover zucchini carpaccio. The salsa is locally made and super hot but flavorful. I’ll make this again, maybe with green salsa.

16 Likes

Nice friend

1 Like

Our local asparagus season is only late spring, early summer (April - June). None in market now (except imports).

Black grapes and blue cheese for dinner. Had a heavy lunch.

5 Likes

Yeah, this is likely Mexican

Looks so good!

1 Like

Now that’s a mood-lifting delivery!

2 Likes